July 29, 2014 | 1913 users online

Hair - Philip Kingsley - PK4 Hair Protein Capsules

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 8/6/2010 1:22:00 AM More reviews by ALBA

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I agree whole heartedly with what the previous reviewer Bellamy Blue says about these supplements. The amount of soya protein in them is so small that one would do just as well eating a chocolate soya pudding, at least there would be some enjoyment and it would be cheaper.
I was under the impression that I would be receiving a supplement that had been researched and documented to prove that it improved hair loss but how can such a small amount of soya do anything, really? It would be better to buy a broad spectrum amino acid protein supplement than these. I was astounded when I looked at the ingredients and discovered that no amino acid quantities were listed at all! Eating iron rich foods would be more cost effective and possibly more effective anyway.

rated 2 of 5 on 10/16/2009 1:05:00 PM More reviews by BellamyBlue

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I bought these because I have a weakness for anything that may improve hair quality in the long term. I had suffered hair loss (from medication, not diet) and hoped these might speed up regrowth. Philip Kingsley's website doesn't list the ingredients. I knew they were protein supplements of some description, presumably with extra magic ingredients as well. I would not have shelled out 19.50 if I'd known what they actually contain!

You take 2 capsules, twice per day. These 4 capsules contain, in total, just 2.4g of soya protein. Most of us in the developed world get more than enough protein, effortlessly, especially if we eat meat and / or fish. If you eat these, or a well-planned vegetarian diet, then a paltry 2.4g of soy protein is going to make no difference whatsoever to you or to your hair. Conversely, if you are not getting enough protein from your diet, 2.4g soy protein is not going to make up for that deficiency. You'd do better to spend your money on fresh lean meat, fish or even Quorn. You'll get a lot more protein for your pennies.

How does PK get away with charging 19.50 for such teeny tiny soya capsules? I have no idea. Why not buy a Starbucks Soy Latte every morning - with 9g of protein, even that would be good value compared to these!

At 19.50 for 120 capsules, just one month's supply, these would be an expensive investment long term (and of course, Philip Kingsley claims you must take them for at least four months to notice improvement). Don't waste your money.

(2 lippies, cos they're not actually doing harm.) continued >>