April 20, 2014 | 1018 users online

Lipstick - Revlon - va va violet

rated 3 of 5 on 3/3/2014 10:03:00 PM More reviews by Curlybird

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine Eyes: Blue

I bought this for a Halloween costume a few years back and recently dug this out of my closet. Still creamy, which says a lot about the formula. This extremely dark purple lipstick has a deep red undertone and although it is very pigmented, it is still a bit sheer, if that makes sense. I think it's meant to be a classy shade for darker skinned ladies (do a google search) rather than a goth shade for pale girls, but you could build it up and make it more opaque if you wish with liner and powder. This is a good lipstick for the 1920s vamp or flapper look.
Since I am pale but generally prefer a more natural look, I blot va va violet down to a stain and top it with a berry-colored lipgloss for a beautiful Wintertime statement lip. The gloss helps with the uneven pigment issue that others have mentioned.

rated 2 of 5 on 12/25/2013 8:58:00 PM More reviews by melissamberry

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Kinky, Other Eyes: Brown

I really wanted to love this lippie. It is such a beautiful color but the formula sucks. It looks uneven when it's on the lips, and it's pretty sheer. It also is really unforgiving when it comes to dry lips. If you don't mind a blacker purple, I'd go with WnW vamp it up over this one.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/2/2013 8:04:00 PM More reviews by sigiliaxo

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

i found this on sale for 99 cents and ive been in love with purple lips so i thought id try it
im highly impressed , yes it can be patchy and sheer but with two coats of building it up it gives you such a classy edgy look, going to buy a back up.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/22/2013 1:40:00 AM More reviews by oo0Vulcan0oo

Very beautiful lipstick! It is very buildable so you can achieve a very dark vampy look, if that is what you desire. My only complaint is that the lipstick does get patchy for me the longer I wear it. Love the texture!

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/3/2013 10:08:00 AM More reviews by stimwink1

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

This is a very pigmented color but depending on your skin type, chemistry and skin care you might need to build the color to get the dark vamp look.

As with all the rich deep lipsticks you gotta work with them ladies. I'm in my early 50's fair skined, getting a bit dryer . I exfoliate my lips prior to using ANY rich dark color and I also line and use a lip lock to prevent feathering into lines. Yes us older girls can wear the darker colors with a few tricks.

I apply a good balm let it set, apply lipstick and blott. You can also use a base to remove your normal lip color so it won't show through the product. Then I dust "lightly" an HD powder let it set and re apply lipsick and blott again. Keep doing the application and blotting until you get the color you want. I then apply a light gloss with my fingers. I've also used my fingers to tap in the lip color if I want a lighter day look. a lip brush or straight from the tube if I want it darker/more dramatic. I can wear any of my colors this way day or night. What I love about this lippie is you will get a stain and pretty even if you make the initial application right so you can either apply just the gloss later or just lightly re-apply the lipstick.

Sounds like alot of work but I've found all my darker colors are just more to work with. This one for the price is great and something I will buy again when empty!

rated 4 of 5 on 9/12/2013 1:37:00 PM More reviews by CaribbeanBeauty

It is beautiful. I agree, it is patchy but you have to try to evenly apply the lipstick around the lips and not smack your lips together really hard. It's a beautiful deep rich purple so I would wear this during the colder seasons. It can be really light to really dark, depending on how much you put on. I like to put a medium amount on my lips, if I put too much I would look goth and thats not the style I am aiming for lol. I am an nc30.

rated 1 of 5 on 8/22/2013 2:39:00 AM More reviews by YEAHAnGiE

This shade looks very beautiful and I was existed to wear it, ugh however when I put it on it went on soooooooooo patchy!! It went on so patchy that in the middle of my bottom lip around the top middle you could see my natural lip color. I do put foundation on my lip so lipstick to stay on longer and be more true to color, also I use lip primer too but nope this formula sucks that bad it won't stay on your lips! I try to layer this product too and it just strips off the lipstick I have under or the lipstick I try to put over. Revlon has nice lipstick but i find they always miss the mark on very dark plums. I really can't ever wear this lipstick on my lips! The only purpose I found for it is to use it on my body for zombie makeup haha. Worst lipstick I ever bought!!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/21/2013 1:14:00 PM More reviews by jcdiva1

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Other Eyes: Black

I love this color! This color is so gorgeous :) My only issue with this is that it applies streaky sometimes but that still doesnt deter me from using this.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/17/2013 9:28:00 AM More reviews by awesumchik

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Relaxed, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I still can't see how people can say this lipstick was splotchy for them! I bought this lipstick because it was on sale again at HEB and it was the only dark colored shade I haven't tried. I am so glad I bought it!!! I first I thought it was going to be waay too vampy for me but surprisingly, it worked out well. It only took one swipe to get my lips fully dark. It makes an utterly gorgeous contrast to my dark skin! It kind of lends an edgy vibe to your look that's drop dead sexy. A previous reviewer was right: when you wipe it off, it stains your lips this beautiful dark plum color. I get compliments on it all the time. This is definitely going to be a staple in my makeup bag!!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/12/2013 10:28:00 PM More reviews by winghearted

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Lately I've been experimenting more and more with lipsticks, and this one is most definitely one of my new favourites.
I don't know if a lot of people reviewing just got a bad tube, but the colour isn't sheer. It goes on very dark with just one application. The colour is an inky, dark purple, and super gorgeous. This is the perfect lip colour if you're aiming for something a little more vampy yet chic. Obviously I wouldn't recommend wearing this during the day, but I love pairing this with a well contoured face and lush lashes.
I like the formula, as its quite creamy but buildable. I always use lip chap before I apply lipstick, because my lips get dry very easily, but I've found this lipstick isn't as drying as other brands. The staying power is okay I suppose, but for the price I cant complain.
Overall, I really like it and when I'm done with this tube I'll definitely purchase another.