December 20, 2014 | 1717 users online

Lipstick - Revlon - va va violet

rated 4 of 5 on 12/18/2014 4:45:00 PM More reviews by hmgpns

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

A really nice, dark, vampy lipstick. I found it suited my very green-toned olive skin and didn't fade to pink like many dark lipsticks. It definitely suits me better when my hair is dark, though. It's a nice entry-level shade for those who want to be a little more daring with their lipstick, and it looks fabulous on tanned/medium-dark skin, too!

rated 3 of 5 on 12/13/2014 1:35:00 AM More reviews by deadmap

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

This colour is super cool, but I'm just not that impressed. It takes forever to get good colour pay off and the application is definitely streaky, and overall, the lipstick doesn't stay on very well. The formula is definitely sheer, and I think it's a nice colour for a lip stain, which is basically what I use it for.

The unpredictable application and the lack of staying power don't encourage me to use this lipstick too often. It's a bit of a hassle to moisturize and prime lips before using this, and then also looking in the mirror all day while wearing it to make sure it doesn't bleed or smear. If someone had more patience then this might be one to try.

I do like when I wear it as a stain since that lasts for longer and it requires less effort to make it stay put. That way, I can actually do whatever I'm doing and not worry about my make up. I think the formula could be improved, but the shade is quite nice. On my skin, it shows up as a true purple and this colour would look amazing on deeper skin tones. As a note, my sister tried this product (she has dry and pigmented lips) and it didn't apply well for her. The streakiness really showed through.

I'm glad I have the lipstick now so I can use it when I want, but I won't repurchase. I wear it so little and I'm not up to put so much effort into using a product.

rated 3 of 5 on 12/9/2014 9:27:00 PM More reviews by BeccaWillBite

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I'm a lover of outrageous lippies and this was disappointing. Very very patchy and dry application even with primer. Would if been my favorite color otherwise. I still wear it, but line it and fill it in with a black liner.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/12/2014 5:34:00 PM More reviews by meglovesbeauty

I originally brought this for Halloween, I wanted a dark lipstick that didn't fade into pink or red but I didn't want black either!

I just picked this up as it was the darkest drugstore shade that, when I swatched and slightly smudged on purpose, didn't fade out into red/pink!

In the packaging this shade looks very, very, very dark! But don't be put off, if you want it this dark you can achieve the colour by applying and blotting a few times but you can also make this slightly less intense by dabbing on a little colour and blending with your finger!

I was genuinely expecting to buy this, use it on Halloween and throw it but this is such a wearable colour!!! As someone who is paler than pale in the winter months I have to be careful about which vampy shades I use as some can make me look 10 times paler and completely washed out but this doesn't at all!

I think this is down to the fact that it does have a pinky/purple undertone so therefore doesn't wash me out but I'm really glad I brought this now!

Don't get me wrong it's not something you'd wear everyday or to school or college but for a lunch/dinner out or going for a casual drink this colour is 100% appropriate! By appropriate I mean, if you wore this to a dinner date you wouldn't look like a Halloween act or like you've gone OTT, it can actually be extremely flattering!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/13/2014 7:14:00 AM More reviews by 1017

I had a hard time finding this color. When I finally did, I was a bit disappointed.. I was prepared for dark, ultra vampy violet shade-I love the color on me-if applied right. Fyi, I am NW20, deep winter complexion (almost black hair, brown eyes, mauvey lips). The score has nothing to do with the color, but the quality of this particular shade. It is not up to Revlon standards. I don't know if I just got a bad one or what, but this went on sooooo patchy. I have not had this issue with my other Revlon lipsticks sans Sultry Samba. But the depth of this color made the patchiness really noticeable. I would have this ultra dark patch on the center of my lips, with lighter patches on the sides. I thought for sure it was my lips, but even after some major TLC and prep this shade just did not apply evenly. Finally I had to whip out the big guns and use MAC Prep & Prime, that made a world of difference. This shade actually reminds me of a less frosty version of MAC Fluid. If it goes on well, it is a deep eggplant. If it goes on bad, it looks like mud.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/13/2014 1:19:00 AM More reviews by softchaos

buildable color, looks dark in packaging but actually quite sheer. patchy application. hydrating. very pretty color.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/9/2014 7:09:00 PM More reviews by TheHipsterlicious

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I was really scared of this lipstick because it looks soooo dark in the bullet! I was also somewhat confused by how different it looked on all the different wearers I had seen. When I opened the lipstick I was surprised to see how sheer it is. You can really ease into this one! it is a [not too] blue based purple that is very wearable and buildable. I do like it. It is worse than other Revlon crèmes when it comes to bleeding, though. As in, horrible. DEFINITELY use a lipliner (one close to your lips if you want to keep it subtle, a very dark one to add intensity). I only put on two layers of lipstick with no liner and it bled within 15 mins. Granted I am somewhat pale, which I am sure accentuated the affect, but still be aware of that.

Also, I have a problem with the formula being a bit patchy. This may be because there is such a huge discrepancy between my lip color (pale pink) and this lipstick, but it can just be a little difficult to work with sometimes. And seriously if I even press my lips together a little bit, the color with mess up and look all uneven. I have NEVER had another Revlon lipstick behave like this (and I have tried over a dozen) so I don't really know what the deal is with this.

This lipstick takes a bit of babysitting, but I still love the color.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/26/2014 1:25:00 PM More reviews by BeautyAddict62

Va Va Violet is a deep, dark purple that is very vampy and sultry looking. The formula is very creamy and the colour is buildable. It looks nearly black in the tube but I asure you it is not! I have very pale skin and wear this with cat eyes & thick lashes. I think this would look gorgeous on darker skins too.

Overall, a lovely dark purple that definitely is vampy and seductive. I recommend!

rated 3 of 5 on 3/3/2014 10:03:00 PM More reviews by Curlybird

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine Eyes: Blue

I bought this for a Halloween costume a few years back and recently dug this out of my closet. Still creamy, which says a lot about the formula. This extremely dark purple lipstick has a deep red undertone and although it is very pigmented, it is still a bit sheer, if that makes sense. I think it's meant to be a classy shade for darker skinned ladies (do a google search) rather than a goth shade for pale girls, but you could build it up and make it more opaque if you wish with liner and powder. This is a good lipstick for the 1920s vamp or flapper look.
Since I am pale but generally prefer a more natural look, I blot va va violet down to a stain and top it with a berry-colored lipgloss for a beautiful Wintertime statement lip. The gloss helps with the uneven pigment issue that others have mentioned.

rated 2 of 5 on 12/25/2013 8:58:00 PM More reviews by melissamberry

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Kinky, Other Eyes: Brown

I really wanted to love this lippie. It is such a beautiful color but the formula sucks. It looks uneven when it's on the lips, and it's pretty sheer. It also is really unforgiving when it comes to dry lips. If you don't mind a blacker purple, I'd go with WnW vamp it up over this one.