September 22, 2014 | 519 users online

Lipstick - Revlon - va va violet

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/13/2014 7:14:00 AM More reviews by 1017

I had a hard time finding this color. When I finally did, I was a bit disappointed.. I was prepared for dark, ultra vampy violet shade-I love the color on me-if applied right. Fyi, I am NW20, deep winter complexion (almost black hair, brown eyes, mauvey lips). The score has nothing to do with the color, but the quality of this particular shade. It is not up to Revlon standards. I don't know if I just got a bad one or what, but this went on sooooo patchy. I have not had this issue with my other Revlon lipsticks sans Sultry Samba. But the depth of this color made the patchiness really noticeable. I would have this ultra dark patch on the center of my lips, with lighter patches on the sides. I thought for sure it was my lips, but even after some major TLC and prep this shade just did not apply evenly. Finally I had to whip out the big guns and use MAC Prep & Prime, that made a world of difference. This shade actually reminds me of a less frosty version of MAC Fluid. If it goes on well, it is a deep eggplant. If it goes on bad, it looks like mud.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/13/2014 1:19:00 AM More reviews by softchaos

buildable color, looks dark in packaging but actually quite sheer. patchy application. hydrating. very pretty color.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/9/2014 7:09:00 PM More reviews by TheHipsterlicious

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I was really scared of this lipstick because it looks soooo dark in the bullet! I was also somewhat confused by how different it looked on all the different wearers I had seen. When I opened the lipstick I was surprised to see how sheer it is. You can really ease into this one! it is a [not too] blue based purple that is very wearable and buildable. I do like it. It is worse than other Revlon crèmes when it comes to bleeding, though. As in, horrible. DEFINITELY use a lipliner (one close to your lips if you want to keep it subtle, a very dark one to add intensity). I only put on two layers of lipstick with no liner and it bled within 15 mins. Granted I am somewhat pale, which I am sure accentuated the affect, but still be aware of that.

Also, I have a problem with the formula being a bit patchy. This may be because there is such a huge discrepancy between my lip color (pale pink) and this lipstick, but it can just be a little difficult to work with sometimes. And seriously if I even press my lips together a little bit, the color with mess up and look all uneven. I have NEVER had another Revlon lipstick behave like this (and I have tried over a dozen) so I don't really know what the deal is with this.

This lipstick takes a bit of babysitting, but I still love the color.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/26/2014 1:25:00 PM More reviews by BeautyAddict62

Va Va Violet is a deep, dark purple that is very vampy and sultry looking. The formula is very creamy and the colour is buildable. It looks nearly black in the tube but I asure you it is not! I have very pale skin and wear this with cat eyes & thick lashes. I think this would look gorgeous on darker skins too.

Overall, a lovely dark purple that definitely is vampy and seductive. I recommend!

rated 3 of 5 on 3/3/2014 10:03:00 PM More reviews by Curlybird

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine Eyes: Blue

I bought this for a Halloween costume a few years back and recently dug this out of my closet. Still creamy, which says a lot about the formula. This extremely dark purple lipstick has a deep red undertone and although it is very pigmented, it is still a bit sheer, if that makes sense. I think it's meant to be a classy shade for darker skinned ladies (do a google search) rather than a goth shade for pale girls, but you could build it up and make it more opaque if you wish with liner and powder. This is a good lipstick for the 1920s vamp or flapper look.
Since I am pale but generally prefer a more natural look, I blot va va violet down to a stain and top it with a berry-colored lipgloss for a beautiful Wintertime statement lip. The gloss helps with the uneven pigment issue that others have mentioned.

rated 2 of 5 on 12/25/2013 8:58:00 PM More reviews by melissamberry

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Kinky, Other Eyes: Brown

I really wanted to love this lippie. It is such a beautiful color but the formula sucks. It looks uneven when it's on the lips, and it's pretty sheer. It also is really unforgiving when it comes to dry lips. If you don't mind a blacker purple, I'd go with WnW vamp it up over this one.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/2/2013 8:04:00 PM More reviews by sigiliaxo

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

i found this on sale for 99 cents and ive been in love with purple lips so i thought id try it
im highly impressed , yes it can be patchy and sheer but with two coats of building it up it gives you such a classy edgy look, going to buy a back up.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/22/2013 1:40:00 AM More reviews by oo0Vulcan0oo

Very beautiful lipstick! It is very buildable so you can achieve a very dark vampy look, if that is what you desire. My only complaint is that the lipstick does get patchy for me the longer I wear it. Love the texture!

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/3/2013 10:08:00 AM More reviews by stimwink1

This is a very pigmented color but depending on your skin type, chemistry and skin care you might need to build the color to get the dark vamp look.

As with all the rich deep lipsticks you gotta work with them ladies. I'm in my early 50's fair skined, getting a bit dryer . I exfoliate my lips prior to using ANY rich dark color and I also line and use a lip lock to prevent feathering into lines. Yes us older girls can wear the darker colors with a few tricks.

I apply a good balm let it set, apply lipstick and blott. You can also use a base to remove your normal lip color so it won't show through the product. Then I dust "lightly" an HD powder let it set and re apply lipsick and blott again. Keep doing the application and blotting until you get the color you want. I then apply a light gloss with my fingers. I've also used my fingers to tap in the lip color if I want a lighter day look. a lip brush or straight from the tube if I want it darker/more dramatic. I can wear any of my colors this way day or night. What I love about this lippie is you will get a stain and pretty even if you make the initial application right so you can either apply just the gloss later or just lightly re-apply the lipstick.

Sounds like alot of work but I've found all my darker colors are just more to work with. This one for the price is great and something I will buy again when empty!

rated 4 of 5 on 9/12/2013 1:37:00 PM More reviews by CaribbeanBeauty

It is beautiful. I agree, it is patchy but you have to try to evenly apply the lipstick around the lips and not smack your lips together really hard. It's a beautiful deep rich purple so I would wear this during the colder seasons. It can be really light to really dark, depending on how much you put on. I like to put a medium amount on my lips, if I put too much I would look goth and thats not the style I am aiming for lol. I am an nc30.