April 24, 2014 | 1882 users online

Fragrances - Tokyo Milk - Dead Sexy

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 4/25/2013 1:44:00 AM More reviews by boscoe7777

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

*This is a review for the body lotion*
I received a sample from Tokyo Rose so I could try out some scents. The light-weight lotion absorbs quickly and leaves my skin feeling soft.
The scents listed on the packet are Deep Vanilla, Exotic Wood, White Orchid and Ebony.
The scent started out smelling very woodsy and then the orchid kicked in. However, the woodsy still lingered a bit. The vanilla comes in as a final note. The overall scent is not overpowering and almost subtle, except for the woodsiness. Overall, it reminds me of an unassuming men's cologne. I think it makes for a good unisex fragrance. I prefer, much to my surprise, Tainted Love.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 4/10/2013 1:11:00 AM More reviews by LeMinx

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I love, love, love sexy vanilla based scents. To find a good one is pretty difficult however. You either get something that smells like vanilla or something that isn't vanilla at all even though it claims to be. After trolling out the internet and reading a billion reviews about vanilla based perfumes, I finally decided to buy Dead Sexy. I hadn't heard of Tokyo Milk before but I decided to chance it based on the rave reviews and the fairly low price. I got this from a seller on eBay although I generally don't buy perfumes there as I suspect I bought two (pretty damn expensive) scents that I believe are fake. Thankfully I didn't get a fake scent this time because this perfume's scent is strong and it lasts and lasts.

While I was waiting for Dead Sexy to arrive, I came across reviews for Bvlgari Black elsewhere. Long story short, I picked it up because it was hailed as a sexy vanilla scent. A few days later, my bottle of Dead Sexy arrived. At first sniff, I knew I had smelled it before. Like another reviewer already said (and natch, I didn't read the reviews HERE), Dead Sexy smells exactly like Bvlgari Black. If there's a difference, it's very subtle. Both are vanilla based but have something in it that smells like honest to goodness rubber. What you get is something gourmand but also....car like. Kind of like walking past a bakery that happens to be by a tire shop. Very odd but intriguing at the same time.

I'm still on the fence about both of these scents. I love the vanilla in both but the rubber smell is off putting and a tad headache inducing. The rubber smell is what stands out to me on the dry down and I'm not sure if I really want to run around smelling like a new, vanillaish tire. If you're into off beat scents, I believe Dead Sexy (and Bvlgari Black) are right up your alley. If you're looking for a more traditional gourmand/vanilla scent, keep looking. I don't regret purchasing either because both are well made and not completely vile, but these are two perfumes that will have to grow on me.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/27/2013 2:00:00 PM More reviews by pinkandblack

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

This seems to be the finicky type of fragrance that blossoms when it interacts with some people's body chemistry and fizzles when it comes into contact with others'. On me, it's drop dead sexy! The initial blast of fragrance is overwhelmingly woody, very pleasantly so. True to its description, the wood notes conjure up the impression of a mysterious, exotic forest. A curl of smoke rises from the midst of that forest, followed in short measure by a whiff of orchid and the promise of warm vanilla goodness, rapidly increasing in intensity. The vanilla sweetens, gets sweeter, sweeter, sweeter...and just before I start to panic about what candied confectionery this perfume is going to morph into, the bottom drops out and it mellows. The end result - individual results may vary, of course! - is Warm Vanilla Sugar with a backdrop of exotic woods and a hint of smoke. It's like the femme fatale version of WVS. Comforting, yet mysterious. Delicious and exotic. Several hours later, a subtle and warm ambery vanilla remains.
Sexy? Absolutely. If you ask guys what they want women to smell like, they never choose the fancy shmancy $200 freshly squeezed juice from a deer's anal gland that's been dressed up in a cacophony of incongruous notes and hand-cut crystal- you know, the kind that only appeals to perfume snobs. Guys think it's hot when you smell like a warm, sweet comfort food. That's it. No need to over-complicate things.

6 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 1/4/2013 7:32:00 PM More reviews by Gossers

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This scent isn't for me, but I've got to give credit where credit's due. This perfume has lasting power. It's been two weeks since I've worn it and the scent is still on my jacket. I didn't wear perfume today, and after wearing my jacket all afternoon, the scent has now transferred back to my wrist ... and just like the first time I wore it, the scent seems to be getting stronger and stronger (unfortunately it gives me a headache, so this is not a good thing). But kudos to Tokyo Milk for so much lasting power, I just wished I liked their scents more.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/22/2012 9:03:00 PM More reviews by jlhutch

I once dated a man who wore this stuff religiously. We aren't together anymore, but I still recall this smell vividly. I recently mentioned this to a friend of mine, and he sent it to me as a birthday gift. I absolutely LOVE the smell of this perfume and lotion. It could just be that musks work really well with my body chemistry, but I always get compliments while wearing this scent. I completely recommend it.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/24/2011 5:58:00 AM More reviews by sanna_sometimes

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine Eyes: Blue

I like Dead Sexy a lot but "Sexy", I think, is in fact kind of misleading. I think it's more of a nice, warm comfort-smell. Starts off woody and dries down to a subtle not-too-sweet-vanilla. A really nice little unisex woody/spicy fragrance, rather original too, "cozy" but not boring.

rated 3 of 5 on 8/16/2011 1:57:00 AM More reviews by lenaoliver

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Dead Sexy smells on me like a dead wood layered with vanilla powder...and certainly nothing sexy. It's perfect for a night at a smoky bar or sweat filled club. On me I get the sweet and musky; I don't pick up any floral. It's not bad but certainly not great. It reminds me of an airwick scent I use. Anyhow, to downplay the saccharin sweetness I wear a green or citrus scented lotion and then layer. It's the only way I can make this work. Oh, and the scent doesn't last very long of me. It's great for a night out without a less than special person...you know, the obligatory dinner date. Personally I think the French brands get vanilla right, that is it should smell a bit green floral not sugary.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/14/2011 10:46:00 AM More reviews by dana

Dead Sexy is a dead ringer for Dior's Addict on me. It's a warm, deep, musky vanilla with just an ever so slight woodsy note to it. It doesn't last anywhere near as long as Addict, but it's also not as pricey.

My only real complaint is the packaging. While the bottle is pretty, one needs to be careful removing the top, as the screw top sprayer comes loose very easily. It's super easy to have it fall off.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 5/5/2011 7:37:00 PM More reviews by FeeFee34

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is a very, very unpleasant scent. Unpleasant to the point where I think there might have been something wrong with the bottle I purchased. If possible, I would have returned it, but instead sent it off to someone eager to try the juice the first opportunity I got. I love vanillas, but this falls straight into plastic and bug-spray category. There's something very dry and medicinal about this scent, which is actually common among less sweet vanillas when you first spray them, but the problem with Dead Sexy is that the medicinal smell lingers throughout the entire wear time. Overall, it's one of the worst vanillas I've smelled. I tried sweetening it with vanilla perfume oils, but in the end this is a definite no-go. My suggestion if you like this sort of fragrance is Diptyque Eau Duelle, which is a lovely rendition of vanilla with this same drier, slightly more masculine/unisex quality.

rated 3 of 5 on 5/5/2011 7:12:00 PM More reviews by FLAMENCA

I purchased 7 tokyo milk samples. I thought Dead Sexy might turn out to be one of my favorites being that I am a huge vanilla fan. Well... I wore this yesterday and have to say that I'm really glad I got a sample before buying an entire bottle. It's not that it smells bad. it just doesn't smell good to me. Not what I expected. on my skin it smells least like vanilla. It's really quite powdery and sweet. very old school familiar for some creepy reason. like waaaaaay back in the late 70's kinda creepy. I couldn't help but think that it smelled like a baby's bottom after some lotion and a powder. in other words... not sexy. I think it might be nice for a teen? overall. kinda yucky. I think "tainted love" is closer to a sexy dark vanilla. Dead Sexy is Dead boring.