E.L.F. Studio Lip Stain

Price: $

Price: $

on 7/3/2015 3:12:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I this in the shade Birthday Suite, which is a bold, bright light pink. It reminds me of lip colors that Nicki Minaj would wear. THIS DOES NOT STAIN YOUR LIPS. This works more like a highly pigmented lipstick that wears a long time. When first applied the lips get dry but the product comes with a gloss to moisturize and give the lip shine but if worn on its own it is matte. I didn't use the gloss because I prefer a matte lip and the product wore better and longer without the gloss. This isn't ultra long wearing. The longest wear I got was 4 hours but by then the lips were patchy and dry. I like the product for the price ($3) and they have some shades im interested in trying.

on 3/28/2015 6:41:00 PM

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

Like other people said, it wasn't a "stain" but I think it was more of a matte liquid lipstick. It was pigmented pretty well, but I needed two coats for an opaque coverage. It was a tiniest bit sticky even when dry, but maybe I'm just being picky by bringing it up. For me, it didn't last all day but it lasts 3x as long as my regular (non matte) lipsticks, so in my opinion it hold of rather well. If you have dry lips this product may adhere to the dry skin and make it more noticeable, but if you apply a lip balm before hand and the clear lip gloss after it makes it look much more moisturized.

Overall I really like this product. It isn't the best matte liquid lipstick out there by a long shot, but for only 2 dollars where I got it, this product is fantastic. Would repurchase.

on 2/17/2015 10:45:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

I really like this product and am surprised by the bad reviews. Firstly, I don't understand why companies label products like this a stain. There is no staining effect at all. It is more like a thin liquid lipstick. It is very long lasting, though. The formula is smooth, creamy, pigmented, and lasts quite a while on me. It does emphasize dry patches after a few hours, though. Also, the packaging broke on me. I would recommend it, though, as it is a very nice product.

on 1/26/2015 1:56:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Neutral

Just ok
Not the best at a stain but it looks nice on the lips.
Not drying and did not peel off like some long wearing lip products.
They need more shades.

on 12/5/2014 1:35:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

This is a very inexpensive product and behaves like one. I have the shade Heartbreaker.

PROS
The color of the stain is nice, looks quite tan in the tube but applies a very neutral, soft pink. In fact, I love the color, hence my 3 star review.
The clear gloss is actually pretty decent. Not over drying, no discernible smell, not too sticky.

CONS
The formula of the stain is terrible. Firstly it's very creamy, not very pigmented, and I can't see any staining effects on my lips. Basically there is no stain.
The formula applies terribly, it clumps, balls up and is in no way a smooth application.
In order for it to be wearable, I apply it with the doe foot and then have to rub and smooth in with finger tip. Then I do another layer, same thing. Then another. Once I've got it smooth, or as smooth as it will get, then I put a layer of gloss.
As far as wear, I get about an hour out of it, with the gloss over top.
This is definitely not a 'lip stain', nor is it a long wearing color/gloss combo.

WHY I DONT COMPLETELY HATE IT: It was cheap, I wasted almost no money. I have little expectations of cheapo product lines like elf and nyc, sometimes I'm pleasantly surprised and that's great. Never let down though. And lastly, once I've gone though the bitch that is the application process, I like how the color and gloss look on my lips, very much so. I will use this up happily because I paid 2$ for it :)

on 10/9/2013 2:43:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

A completely unusable product for me, returned.
Thin and streaky or thick and goopy.
Did not stay set when gloss was applied, it got smeary even with a lip pencil.
I let it set, even blotted gently to be sure...but the color transferred to the gloss wand, making the clear gloss look cloudy and dirty.
The colored portion smelled odd and astringent, separated in the tube and the gloss has an unpleasant texture and taste.
The stain used alone was drying and it feathered,
The gloss is not pleasant enough to use alone or over other colors.
My store had just put up this ELF kiosk the week I purchased so I know it was not old product.

Wet n Wild Megalast Liquid Lip Color is the same price and actually works well.
Any WnW Lipstick with a NYC gloss over is nicer.

A product that doesn't work well enough to use without extraordinary measures or a lot of compromises or excuses is not a bargain at any price.

on 10/6/2013 1:01:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I got this in Lady Luck, which is a pretty warm rose on me. Love the color, but staying power was no more than any old lipstick or even lip balm.

on 4/11/2013 5:04:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

Works good, but dried my lips out, so I will not repurchase. :(

on 4/6/2013 10:57:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

I have five of these colors: Birthday Suit, Heartbreaker, First Date, Lucky Lady and Red Carpet.

Pros:
Beautiful colors and well pigmented. Red Carpet is my favorite red to wear on my lips.
Natural looking colors as well (with the exception of red carpet).
Aren't very drying, if at all.
As with all e.l.f. products, cheap.

Cons:
Take a while to dry before you can put on the clear gloss.
Isn't exactly a stain, it comes off fairly easy.

I found when applying the stain, you have to be very light handed. If you slather on a ton of it, it will take longer to dry.

on 2/26/2013 6:11:00 PM

This is a great lip stain! Long lasting color and a cute clear gloss. Not drying but exactly the opposite. I like First Date personally. You do have to order this online however but a very nice lip stain to own.

Popular Lip Glosses