Maybelline color sensational summer sunset

4.4

on 3/24/2015 10:00:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I was looking for the perfect marsala shade; I wear lots of red lipstick but bright red isn't always suitable either. This Maybelline lipstick feels great and is inexpensive. My only qualm is that it's a bit too neutral for me but that's because I'm Indian so I have tanned skin. I mix this lipstick with my Illamasqua Lipstick in Howl and achieve the perfect soft red.

on 2/7/2015 8:32:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Silver, Curly, Medium

I got this looking for something in the new "color of the year," Marsala. I am very pleased. I sometimes wear red lipstick, but there are many occasions where in-your-face red doesn't really work. This is still red, but muted, browned down a bit. The formula is very creamy, doesn't feather on me (though I don't have a big problem with that), and wears off evenly so it leaves behind an attractive stain, not a "ring around the mouth" (ick!) effect. It is NOT long-wearing, but since I can't use that type of lip product, it's fine by me. This is a very job-appropriate lipstick, classic and understated but your lips look fully dressed (not lipglossy and bright), and you don't need to reapply every 15 minutes. A winner!

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Color Sensational is another great drugstore lipstick. It runs just under $6 in Target. This is a creamy, full coverage, long lasting and non drying lipstick. I would say the finish is satin.... not too matte but yet not shimmery... somewhere in the middle leaning more towards the matte side. It has a mild vanilla scent that dissipates as soon as you put the lipstick on, I only smell it when I bring the tube to my nose and take a little sniff but once on I smell and taste nothing.

Summer Sunset is a gorgeous medium toned pinkish red with a very slight brownish undertone to it, it's more of a muted color as opposed to being bright. For reference I'm an NW20 ~ golden blonde hair ~ and green eyes. If you have my coloring and are more into lipsticks where as you can see saturated color on your lips you will love this.

on 2/12/2013 7:14:00 PM

I like this product. It is very pigmented, and feels soft to my lips. It is not a heavy lipstick at all. The color compliments my skintone. It is not a in your face red in my opinion, which is good for me. Overall, it is a snazzy shade and a nice quality lipstick.

on 11/2/2012 2:42:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Neutral

Summer sunset is a red-apricot lipstick. It`s creamy,shiny with a little bit of shimmers,that does`t show that much! It last fairly long with a lip liner,It goes really well on the application. It goes really well with:any neutral eye shadows! Love it!

on 12/21/2011 5:30:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

I'm perhaps NW10 (I wear Chanel BR-10; Mac NW15 is way too dark for me), medium auburn hair, blue-green eyes, and am so cool-toned that I resemble a pinkish marshmellow.

I have tried a couple of other Color Sensational lippies and disliked the formula for being sparkly, slippery, and weak. When I randomly looked a tube of this lipstick and fell in love, I kicked myself for even contemplating spending the measly US$5 to buy it. Well, I bought it. I tried it on after I scrubbed my face and exfoliated my lips, and then I realized that I love this lipstick because this dusty berry-red is exactly the color of my lips when they are most flushed. I love it! I love this color! And now I can have that delightful and sensual flush on my lips without my chin and face being red along with them.

I wear this with a wax-based balm, like Carmex, then TFLI, and line and fill my lips with Rimmel 1000 Kisses in Spice. The liner isn't an exact match, but it's close enough and I don't feel the need to search for a better one.

The formula on this lippie is much better than others Iíve tried in the line. Ex: Born With It disappears immediately, leaving behind only glitter. Summer Sunset has shimmer, but it doesnít dominate. I like the consistency and creaminess of it, and I get 3-4 hours without needing to touch up, provided I donít eat. There is a scent to the product, but it's subtle and doesn't bother me. I do have sinus issues, though.

As a basic look, I wear neutral eyes with defined liner, this lippie, and Nyx Blush in Desert Rose. I get many compliments.

Even though it feels like a 5, I'm keeping this at 4 lippies for now. I've only been wearing it for a few days. I'm anticipating problems with the castor oil base of this product and don't want to be over-exuberant in case it rots. If it continues to be great, I'll upgrade. I will definitely buy this again even if the tube does rot. It's cheap and beautiful.

on 12/10/2011 12:24:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

This is the perfect red for fair olive skin tones. It's a very berry, dusty pink red with brown undertones. It's formula is creamy and moisturizing. It lasts long and has that delicious vanilla smell. It has no taste, though. The lipstick has very subtle shimmer. No big hunks of glitter or frost. I will be repurchasing, but I think this tube will last me a long time, seeing as how a little goes a very long ways with this color. One sweep of the top lip, and one sweep of the bottom lip and you have very natural, rosy red lips. The only downside is the packaging, it's a tad cheap feeling, as it's a see-through plastic (red lipsticks have red tubes, plums/mauves have purple tubes, pinks have pink tubes, and natural/browns have amber colored tubes) that's, frankly, kind of ugly. But, it's a minor issue in exchange for such good lipsticks.

For me, this is one of THE most perfect MLBB colors. It's a neutral rosy tone, medium in intensity, but more on the neutral/warm side of rose. It seems a lot of people like nude colors for MLBB, but for me, this is the color I wish my lips were naturally. It's hard for me to explain, but I think it's a browned-down sort of rosy, but not a lot of brown at all .. just enough to tone down the pink. It goes on smoothly, staying power is "eh" but not horrible. Packaging is nice but I find the cap comes off easily which is a PIA if it's in your pocket or purse. It's a good price (I think I got it on sale for about $7 or so) compared to high-end lippies, but for Maybelline, I would expect it to be a couple of dollars cheaper. However, so many of their shades are so nice and long-lasting, I don't mind the price. I think it's one of those colors that might not get a lot of reviews ... it's doesn't look like a "wow" color in the packaging, but as I said, for a MLBB (my lips are fairly pale), I don't think you can go wrong with this color.

on 9/24/2011 2:32:00 PM

I like this one. It is reddish but not red in the classic sense. It is toned down enough so those of us who wish they could carry off red can wear it for a bit of brighter color. I got it super cheap at Walmart and have tried two other colors - Warm Me Up and Tinted Taupe. I like them all and have them in duplicates. I have pretty much stopped buying HE lipstick - there seem to be plenty of cheap alternatives out there.

on 8/7/2011 12:39:00 PM

i use this very red lipstick alone when i have no other make up on my face. looks great for pale girls like me who wants an affordable HG red lipstick :)

Recommended for Medium Skin