August 20, 2014 | 1495 users online

Toners - Garden of Wisdom - Witch Hazel Hydrosol

• Price: $

rated 2 of 5 on 4/2/2012 3:20:00 PM More reviews by theparsley

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

A lot of people seem to have luck with witch hazel clearing up their acne. I wanted to try it for myself but was wary of the amount of alcohol found in the kind you find in the stores (it irritates and dries me out easily). I ordered this version from Garden of Wisdom because it has no alcohol.

I got the 4 oz, which came in a spritzer bottle. It mists out the product quite nicely! Some people are bothered by the smell but I kind of liked it; it's a pretty strong woodsy/herbal smell. The first time I used the witch hazel my face got quite warm and red around my nose and cheeks. There was no itching or irritation and the redness went down within an hour. I decided to keep using it and did not experience the same reaction again. I used this product for only 3 days, but in those 3 days my skin got several red bumps covering it. Some of them turned into whiteheads and others were clogged looking. I know it was the witch hazel because I even experienced a very bad breakout on my chest (when I spritzed this it misted down to my chest as well). I stopped using it, and the bumps continued to pop up on my face but eventually have started clearing up a week later. It seemed like an allergic reaction.

Unfortunately witch hazel is not for me. However, I am sure this is a high quality product, and if you are looking into trying witch hazel, I would recommend this version without alcohol if you dry out easy. Just be sure to test patch first!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/26/2011 12:21:00 AM More reviews by integritybites

I have the 4oz version. All natural, no alcohol, no colouring and it works. Simple item that tones and soothes. Try soaking cotton pads with this and put it on your undereyes.

Fair pricing from GoW. Will repurchase again.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/26/2009 7:59:00 PM More reviews by gingerrama

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Other, Fine Eyes: Green

This is plain, simple, straight-forward, nothing-else-added, steam-distilled witch hazel. Aqueous solution. No alcohol.

Yes, there are other witch hazels out there that are as good: that is, good on sensitive and irritable skin. On other witch hazels, and if your requirements are similar: the desirable features to look out for are a lack of alcohol, and of anything else (scent, any other additivies, etc. - Dickinsons, I'm looking at you!).

The GoW one comes in two sizes: 4 oz and 16 oz. In a plastic screw-top bottle. I got the big one, keep it in the refrigerator, and decant as needed into a smaller plastic flip-top bottle (from Muji) that lives in the bathroom.

Uses: as a toner, either applied using a cotton-wool pad, or as a splash (pour a little into palm of hand, pat hands together, then pat on face), can also be used in a spray (requires purchase of appropriate spritzer bottle, fairly easily found). In the Gingerrama case, of an evening, after cleansing and before moisturising. Good on any spotty or irritated bits, rashes, minor abrasions and other skin stuff, plus on insect bites and bruises. Generally soothing, calming, anti-irritant, mild astringent, some very lightweight antiseptic properties. Other than cosmetic use, it's a good thing to keep in one's first-aid kit at home.

Costs $3.25 for 4 oz / $9.20 for 16 oz + shipping. Even that smaller size is cheaper than drugstore/pharmacy alcohol-based solutions I'd bought previously, and considerably cheaper than other health-food store versions (ex. Potter's in Ireland: 2 to 3 times the price). Cruelty-free.

INGREDIENTS: water, witch-hazel. continued >>