April 20, 2014 | 1306 users online

Hair - Apple Cider Vinegar

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 on 3/16/2014 2:55:00 PM More reviews by Mintyxfresh

I recently hopped on the ACV bandwagon, and I am not getting off any time soon! I have naturally curly hair that is very sensitive to chemicals. I find the more natural products and DIY remedies I use, the better the quality of my hair turns out to be. That being said, I no longer use a conditioner. Instead, I only rinse my hair with water and apply a leave in conditioning cream after the shower daily. Once a week, I apply a generous amount of olive oil to my hair and leave on overnight as a deep conditioning treatment. Olive oil is great for rebuilding strength and elasticity, while also providing shine. I then wash it out the next morning with Shea Moisture's raw shea butter moisture retention shampoo (sulfate-free!) and condition my hair with ACV. ACV works great in conjunction with the olve oil treatment, because it clarifies and adds shine without soaking it in chemicals. I only use shampoo to ensure I remove all of the build up from the olive oil. The ACV acts as a conditioner by detangling and smoothing the cuticle. Then I rinse my hair with cold water, and my hair air dries with shine, body, and bounce like never before. I have never seen my hair in such great condition. I know that it not only feels healthy on the outside, but it is healthy on the inside as well. I'd highly recommend this regimen to anyone who wants to use more natural ingredients. It is great for curly hair because you are never stripping it of moisture, and you are allowing the natural oils to do their job in between weekly washes. Try it out!

rated 2 of 5 on 2/8/2014 10:22:00 AM More reviews by MelanieST

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I think the best hair product or moisturizer I ever tried was the pro naturals moroccan argan oil leave-in treatment. There is non comparison so I highly recommend everyone checks it out!

rated 1 of 5 on 1/16/2014 11:02:00 PM More reviews by saldiamond

i tried acv as a toner. my skin was freaking out and i had no time to make a special trip to trader joes/whole foods, so i used the heinz acv i had at home already.

i diluted it in water, 1/3 acv to 2/3 water. morning after, i had new whiteheads in places i never break out. i figured "oh this is that purging everyone talks about." by night, they'd disappear and new ones would form by the time morning came.

i started getting worried, but i kept going for a week and i kept breaking out. i ended up stopping and it took two weeks for my skin to normalize. i wish it was as great for me as it was for others. :(

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 1/15/2014 10:42:00 PM More reviews by TheMickster

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I love this as a toner. I use 50% ACV and 50% bottled water. I apply with a face pad and wait til it dries before moisturizing. It makes my pores smaller and keeps my acne at bay. Very effective. I also enjoy rinsing my hair with it before I condition. It makes my hair smooth and frizz free. After shaving my legs I use it to close up my pores kinda like aftershave. Love it. Cheap, natural and effective.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/10/2014 5:40:00 AM More reviews by Carybear

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I don't use Apple cider vinegar on my face is, but I do use it in my hair. I find, that after having oils such as coconut, mustard or castor oil unless I want to over wash and dry out my hair, there is still a bit of a greasy residue.
Here's what I do when I oil my hair: apply the oil, Leaving it on for the required time. using a gentle shampoo ( I use Live Clean Sulphate free shampoo) I wash my hair 2x, then rinse with a liter of filtered water with one tablespoon of ACV ( I have a filter on the shower head) and that way I get the desired results from the moisturizing oils without stripping my hair. That said, using ACV too much can be really harsh. I don't oil my hair more than three times a week hence I don't use ACV more than than that. I always follow with cold water and a light cream rinse such as the one you can get from avon.
I found, that frequent and judicious use of apple cider vinegar along with the other methods such as hair oils and scalp massage, have helped regrow quality hair.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 12/31/2013 10:53:00 PM More reviews by Rosensteinh

I swear by this! I have melasma on my cheeks ( hyper pigmentation) and after a week the lightest side is almost gone!!!!!!!!!!!! I take pictures every single day to make sure because i can not believe it!!!!!!! Used it on my hair and the first day I rinsed it was straw like, next day ( today) dried completely flat bs beautifully, can't stop running my fingers through it!!!! Yes the smell is bad but tolerable and well worth the changes I'm seeing, especially on my skin.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 11/30/2013 9:19:00 PM More reviews by briloveschocolatebunnies

Oh my goodness---I am so glad I saw the reviews on here. There are so many uses for this stuff that you can find in these reviews and online, and it is very inexpensive! I am using this as a hair rinse, and I have been very impressed.

I was a bit concerned that the acidity would be an issue for hair, but after reading a lot of blogs on this online, I decided to give it a try. I have shoulder length, straight, and thin hair. I do 2 parts warm water to 1 part apple cider vinegar. For me, I like to put it on my hair after shampooing. Then I leave it on for about a minute and rinse, and I follow with a light conditioner. I've read that it helps seal the hair cuticle---I'm not sure the validity of that----but it does make my hair very soft and smooth.

The only con is that the apple cider vinegar smell does linger a bit. It's not a bad smell to me, but I don't really want it in my hair. It does improve and seem to dissipate some as your hair dries, but you may want to keep this in mind. If you use a hair product that has a pleasant scent, it should be able to keep it from being an issue as it is very slight.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/4/2013 11:17:00 AM More reviews by blondbunny

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

OK count me on the "I'm a believer bandwagon! This stuff is amazing it smells awful but as a hair and skin beautifier this takes centre stage and its dirt cheap too which makes it even more amazing in todays world you can look and feel fantastic and all it starts in your local supermarket and not at a department store which you are mostly paying for is the name and fancy packaging now don't get me wrong I love chanel dior and all those fancy brands but the best thing by far is these organic wonders that sit unoticed on the grocery shelves I never would have thought in a million years about putting apple cider vinegar on my hair or skin I probably would have laughed at you a few years ago but the moment I started using this in my beauty regime I have never looked back I use it like this as I find its the best method and is less messy then applying it straight out of its bottle I found an old hair spray bottle making sure its thourougly clean from all residue I poured fresh clean purified water about half and then filled it to the top with apple cider vinegar I shake it well for about a minute or two and then use straight after my shampoo I leave it in for a minute then follow with a pea sized amount of my conditioner making sure it is rinsed properly and their is no excess reside in my hair I do not recommend leaving it in your hair as it weighs it down and leaves it feeling wierd so make sure its rinsed out properly it leaves my hair with a wonderful sheen like when I was a kid again with virgin hair it leaves it so soft and supple Its never looked this amazing in years and for skin it brightens my complexion and leaves my skin looking flawless amazing apple cider vinegar I will never doubt you again

8 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/29/2013 8:52:00 AM More reviews by icarle

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I actually use ACV for two things: as a toner for my face (i have occasionnal breakouts) and i drink it.
As a toner, i use it at night after washing and before moisturizing, it helps clearing any zits, and it brightens the skin. I don't dilute it, i know some people do, but my skin is not sensitive. If you have sensitive skin, mix the ACV with water 1:2.
Same with drinking it: 2 tablespoon in 16 ounces of water, 3x a day. After 4-5 days, my skin glows, clears up and becomes plump and fresh. It's AMAZING, really. Plus it fights common infection such as colds and flus, so it's the right season for that i guess.

11 out of 12 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/21/2013 4:26:00 AM More reviews by shriekingviolet

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I've struggled with a dry (yet oily!), flaky scalp for years and ACV is the only thing I've ever tried that makes a real difference. I use this diluted (I add an ounce to a quart sized bottle and then fill the rest with cold water) as a final rinse after my conditioner without rinsing it out and it makes a huge difference in the health of my hair and scalp. It eliminates the flakes, strips the product from my hair and adds a lot of shine. It even seems to make the ends of my hair less dry and more healthy. I don't find it to be an adequate replacement for conditioner as some do, but I have pretty long hair (almost elbow length) that's prone to tangling without conditioner. People with shorter hair and an oily scalp may be able to skip conditioner entirely if they use this.

Many people say that the smell of ACV disappears after their hair dries but I don't find this to be the case. The smell definitely fades as it dries, but I still used to catch whiffs of it the next day. Since I HATE the smell of vinegar, I dropped a bunch of cloves and a few cinnamon sticks into my bottle and let it steep for a few days to see if the smell could be improved. This experiment was a huge success! The spices didn't just mask the vinegar-y smell, they actually made the ACV smell more like apples! The scent it leaves in my hair now is like mulled cider, which I LOVE. You still get some of those eye watering fumes when you open the bottle, but even that is more subtle that it was before I infused it, I can't recommend doing this enough! I chose clove and cinnamon because I had those on hand and like the smell of spicy things (and because cloves are supposed to be good for dark hair), but I imagine other pungent herbs or whole spices would work too.

20 out of 21 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No