October 23, 2014 | 1196 users online

Hair - Apple Cider Vinegar for Hair

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/15/2014 3:28:00 PM More reviews by cherryme

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have been using ACV on my hair for years! It makes my hair shiny, bouncy, strong, clean, feels light.
It cleans my scalp. It helps a lot if you live in a hard water area , which I do. I grew up in a soft water area but I moved to a hard water area some years ago and then I started to have itchy scalp, oily hair, dandruff and ACV helped me a lot.
I use 50% water 50 ACV. I also used other measures and my hair still smells like vinegar even the next day and even if I rinse my hair very well. When I wash few days after, I can still smell vinegar. Or if I sweat. But it is alright for me as long as it makes my hair nice and I dn't have itchy scalp or dandruff!
I am never without.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/24/2014 5:00:00 AM More reviews by Aase1

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Other, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

After reading so much about the goodness of apple cider vinegar, and having annoying buildup in my hair and large bumps/zits on my scalp (both curtsy of Agadir Argan Oil shampoo & conditioner), I decided to try this as a hair rinse.

I have so far only used it once. But am thinking this will be a weekly thing.
I put about 50% ACV and 50% water in a spray bottle (the filtered kind from Heinz). Spray my hair thoroughly after shampooing, let sit while shaving legs, rinse and condition.

My hair feels softer, smoother, with less buildup, and there is a definite effects on those bumps on my scalp! After just one use! I sprayed my back in the shower as well, as I have uneven colored skin on my upper back from scarring.

I also bought the unfiltered kind and took a tbls of this with water. Will see if it is a miracle worker ;)

rated 4 of 5 on 9/13/2014 12:26:00 PM More reviews by racistpretzels

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

RECENTLY, I took the plunge and discontinued the use of my shampoo (which wasn't producing good results anyways.) I have long, dry-ended but oily-rooted curly hair, that you can't seem to get a BRUSH through at times after my shower.

What I do is take a large cup from the kitchen cabinet, fill it about 7/8 full with water, then add some Bragg's ACV to complete the other 1/8. I bring it in the shower, wash my body, then poor the ACV slowly over my hair, and massage it in a bit at some of the roots. I leave it on through the end of my shower (I wash my face and put some Acure Argan Conditioner on my ends). This has actually also helped my back acne!!

I started almost 2 weeks ago, and unfortunately I am still in the "transition period" where my hair is a lot more oily than usual. It isn't horrible, but obviously not what I'd like it to be. Despite this, my hair is practically tangle free, soft, and INCREDIBLY managable. I have never ever experienced such tangle-free hair after a shower. My bathroom has began to adopt a slight vinegar odor but nothing too bad. I personally don't mind the smell much.

Not to mention I also use this as a toner (1/2 water, 1/2 ACV) and it has helped my acne and scarring quite a lot! I will update this in a week or two when my hair should be better, but for now I will be sticking through with this method.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/23/2014 5:55:00 PM More reviews by yjanney

Been using Bragg's acv for a while now and finding lots of uses for it. The price is great and I can get it right on my supermarket, so it's very convenient.

1 - I have used it as a toner. Half acv, half filtered water and about 10 drops tea tree oil. It worked alright, especially in spring and fall when my skin is the least dry or oily.

2 - i've used it as a mask with powdered milk. Just create a paste of the 2 products and apply a light layer to clean face. Let dry and remove with a wet washcloth. It can be tough to remove, so I make the water very warm and lay the wet cloth over my face for about 30 seconds to soften first. The lactic acid is strong, so I only do this about once every couple of weeks and follow up with pure aloe vera gel to soothe afterwards.

3 - My fave use is as a hair conditioner. My hair is coarse, curly/wavy and dark brown. Ends are dry but scalp can get oily. I bought a clean squirt bottle at the $ store (like for ketchup) and use half acv and half filtered water with about 8 drops EACH of tea tree oil, rosemary oil and lavender oil. Shake before each use. I use this every other time I wash my hair. It makes my hair super shiny and curly without frizz.

The one drawback is the smell, esp. with the mask, but I quickly got used to it and use so many other fragranced products that it's not noticeable.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/7/2014 11:34:00 AM More reviews by makeupdee

Age: Unknown Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

A vinegar rinse is the easiest thing to make hair more awesome. Also, there's a simple way to do it that keeps your hair from smelling like vinegar. i just do it after rinsing off shampoo, before applying conditioner. Then you don't have any vinegar smell remaining after rinsing off conditioner. I started doing vinegar rinses to make my hair shiny, which works and it also makes hair softer too, but another benefit i started seeing immediately is that any skin flakes or dandruff go away instantaneously! It was bye-bye dandruff, it went away completely. I don't know why anyone would bother with dandruff shampoo when a vinegar rinse is so natural and easy. I've used everything from Braggs to regular ACV to the cheap white vinegar sold in big plastic jugs, and for hair rinse purposes, honestly it makes no difference. Just cost-wise i would save the more expensive Braggs to eat, and I could see using Braggs as a skin toner because facial skin is a lot more sensitive. To make my hair rinse, I start with a big plastic 32oz cup, the kind they give away at McDonalds or Seven11. I put about 1/2 inch of vinegar in it, then take it into the shower and after rinsing off shampoo, I fill the rest of the cup up from the shower, pour the contents over my hair and then apply conditioner and let both sit on my hair for a few mins before rinsing. Because the cup is soft plastic, it's safe to take into the shower, and also the large size allows for a good water to vinegar dilution ratio. Because my hair is thick and on the dry side, i usually wash 2-3x/week - not sure if a vinegar rinse would be too much if done every day. Try this, you won't be disappointed.

9 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 5/7/2014 5:20:00 PM More reviews by anonyym

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I wanted to love this so bad, but I must admit that I'm a little disapointed...

Pros:
- great to clean the rest of the skin after using cleanser (when used as a skin tonic)
- the price is FAAAAB
- it's supposed to be great to drink also? I haven't tried that yet..
- it dosent make me break more out than always

Cons:
- It dosen't help on my acne :(
- it can't be a little harsh on the skin (remember to mix it with water)

rated 5 of 5 on 5/7/2014 10:04:00 AM More reviews by starspex

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm Hair: Brown, Kinky, Other Eyes: Brown

I use Biona brand raw ACV. Staple natural product and cheaper than 3 in UK health food stores budget beauty, I'll keep in my arsenal forever.
Fantastic for any digestive issues eg- 1 tbsp in a glass or water helps reduce bloating or excess gas issues like nausea stomach aches etc within about 10 mins.
- I add it to my pink salt baths and it makes skin even softer than the salt does alone- amazing!
- I spray on my natural 4C hair as a pre-poo before adding my conditioner, sit for 35 mins and rinse out. Its been making my hair feel silkier which is especially useful in terms of flat iron prep. The science behind it involves its PH levels and ability to flatten hair cuticles.

I'm looking forward to trying my ACV spritz combined some raw honey that i''m awaiting in the post as a DIY natural hair mask soon.

Multi use items get the biggest thumbs up from me!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/16/2014 2:55:00 PM More reviews by Mintyxfresh

I recently hopped on the ACV bandwagon, and I am not getting off any time soon! I have naturally curly hair that is very sensitive to chemicals. I find the more natural products and DIY remedies I use, the better the quality of my hair turns out to be. That being said, I no longer use a conditioner. Instead, I only rinse my hair with water and apply a leave in conditioning cream after the shower daily. Once a week, I apply a generous amount of olive oil to my hair and leave on overnight as a deep conditioning treatment. Olive oil is great for rebuilding strength and elasticity, while also providing shine. I then wash it out the next morning with Shea Moisture's raw shea butter moisture retention shampoo (sulfate-free!) and condition my hair with ACV. ACV works great in conjunction with the olve oil treatment, because it clarifies and adds shine without soaking it in chemicals. I only use shampoo to ensure I remove all of the build up from the olive oil. The ACV acts as a conditioner by detangling and smoothing the cuticle. Then I rinse my hair with cold water, and my hair air dries with shine, body, and bounce like never before. I have never seen my hair in such great condition. I know that it not only feels healthy on the outside, but it is healthy on the inside as well. I'd highly recommend this regimen to anyone who wants to use more natural ingredients. It is great for curly hair because you are never stripping it of moisture, and you are allowing the natural oils to do their job in between weekly washes. Try it out!

rated 2 of 5 on 2/8/2014 10:22:00 AM More reviews by MelanieST

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I think the best hair product or moisturizer I ever tried was the pro naturals moroccan argan oil leave-in treatment. There is non comparison so I highly recommend everyone checks it out!

rated 1 of 5 on 1/16/2014 11:02:00 PM More reviews by saldiamond

i tried acv as a toner. my skin was freaking out and i had no time to make a special trip to trader joes/whole foods, so i used the heinz acv i had at home already.

i diluted it in water, 1/3 acv to 2/3 water. morning after, i had new whiteheads in places i never break out. i figured "oh this is that purging everyone talks about." by night, they'd disappear and new ones would form by the time morning came.

i started getting worried, but i kept going for a week and i kept breaking out. i ended up stopping and it took two weeks for my skin to normalize. i wish it was as great for me as it was for others. :(