November 24, 2014 | 2041 users online

Lipstick - Lancome - Red Libertine 153

rated 5.0(1 review)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/23/2009 5:48:00 PM More reviews by tijanarm

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Its been ages since I last bought a Lancome lipstick, mostly because I've been loyal to RA from Chanel, but I must admit I am soooo happy I broke out of my routine with the purchase of Red Libertine 153 from Lancome.
Red Libertine is one of three lipsticks launched in the fall 2009 collection which focuses strongly on red lips. While the other two colours are also beautiful (one is a bright warm red and the other is a cool-toned red) they pretty much resembled all other reds I already own. For the record, I am a huge fan of red lipstick.
Red Libertine is different and the moment I tried it, I knew I had to have it. I am not best at describing nuances of colour, but I will try. On some sites, this colour is described as mauve-red. While I kind of see where they are going with that description, if I had read that before buying, I would've probably thought the lipstick to be darker and more purple than it is. Actually, this is one SUPER-wearable red. I am tempted not to even call it a red, but it technically is a red. My description would probably be more along the lines of "rosey red". If you are afraid of bright reds or just don't think you can pull them off, you should try this. If you love reds like I do, but you want something different, you should also try this. When I put this on and then blend slightly with my finger (which is what I most often do to give my lips a slightly stained look) my lips just look gorgeous, like I have come off the set of Brideshead Revisited. It gives you that natural, healthy rosey-red look to lips, which coupled with pale skin and some blush on the apples of the cheeks is so popular for the fall. Since I've been wearing it I got tonnes of compliments on my look although no one could pinpoint the cause.
In a way it reminds me RA because of the weightless finish, but it is a more matte finish than RA, at least on my lips. It is probably on the drier side of lipstick spectrum, which I actually don't mind even though I have propensity for really dry lips. But, if you don't like or can't go for matte lipsticks, it will probably not suit you. It seems to have a decent staying power for a lipstick, hasn't come of after drinking (although I did see a slight rim on the cup), but I did have to reapply after eating.
All in all, a really nice lipstick from Lancome, highly recommended!