April 19, 2014 | 1945 users online

Foundations - Philosophy - Supernatural Superbeautiful foundation

rated 5 of 5 on 1/13/2012 7:26:00 PM More reviews by oldma

I have been using this for close to a year now, and I still like it. I blend this with Clarins Beauty Flash Balm for a glowy finish. Dust with a little powder over the T zone, and I am good for 12 hours (blot a couple of times and spritze once, too).

rated 1 of 5 on 8/21/2011 6:55:00 AM More reviews by caz5000

Recently started using Philosophy's Airbrushed Canvas foundation which I love, thought I'd try this to use as an alternative.
I hated the way it felt on the skin, kind of wet. I hated the way it looked just as much, the finish was poor, patchy, uneven colour. I already use The Present primer and maybe that wasn't a good primer to use with this particular foundation I don't know. I could not wait to get it off.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/27/2011 2:08:00 AM More reviews by pinkyolli

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

This was a pleasant surprise of a foundation. I was on the hunt for a summer foundation since my usual foundation was getting too heavy, and decided to try this. I'm rather particular in that I don't usually like to wear a silicon-based primer, so most TMs do not last more than a few hours on my combination skin, and the coverage is not usually enough for me. This particular TM/foundation definitely offers a natural-looking coverage, and has enough yellow undertones for my NC25 Asian skin (Sand is what I'm using, although Beige might work as well).

It's a little different in that it sets very fast, and I find that I get the best results when using a foundation brush versus fingers. I get a good 4-6 hours when used with only a setting powder, and have only noticed it rubbing off when I've ran around in 80+ degree summer heat and sweating.

Andddd of course it's being discontinued.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/17/2011 3:53:00 PM More reviews by SophieH

Age: Unknown Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Philosophy is discontinuing this, which is a crying shame (if you agree, tell their customer service or write a review on their site saying so--we just might convince them to keep it in the line!) It combines coverage and a gorgeous Your Skin But Better finish with natural, healthy ingredients and photostable sun protection--what more could one want? The only reason I gave it four lippies instead of five is that it's quite difficult to use this product with good results because it is so hard to blend. If you don't blend it properly, it *will* show up on your face and look like makeup. However, if you do take the time to blend it fully, this product will make you look like you have ridiculously smooth, creamy, flawless, glowing skin. I don't use this product every day because I don't always have time for the application, but when I do, I look great.

This can cover small imperfections, but for bigger issues you will need concealer. It's more than a tinted moisturizer, less than a foundation, and likely better for your skin than both--it contains sunflower seed oil, squalane, dimethicone, and a vitamin C derivative. (Those with very oily or acne-prone skin should proceed with caution, but for most people the oils shouldn't be a problem.) The colors it comes in are great--I use natural ivory, and it's a perfect match--but you do have to choose the right color, which might take a few tries.

The product is expensive, but a single tube lasts a lo-o-ong time (possibly up to a year, depending on usage.) Its shelf life is two years because of the SPF. I recommend stocking up before it's gone forever.

UPDATE: I am changing my rating to five lippies because I feel the upsides of this product outweigh the drawbacks by a lot. Also, I've discovered a way to apply it that's easy and effective: use a semi-stiff foundation brush (I'm liking Sephora's synthetic #110).

It is truly a beauty-world tragedy that the new owners of Philosophy, ahem Coty, are discontinuing this product. The Supernatural Superbeautiful foundation is one of the most unique, yes, most unique things on the market. It defies all cosmetic/skincare categorization and is in a class of its own, the anti-foundation in the same way that Amazing Grace is the anti-perfume and the Supernatural Mascara was the anti-mascara. These are the things that make Philosophy special, and Coty needs to wise up and keep them available.

Back to this foundation: it will make your skin look BEAUTIFUL *and* hide imperfections of all kinds...just get the color right and use the right kind of brush. It is also fantastic for your skin, although it might break out some people, as it's full of oil. It breaks me out and I still use it daily--right over the broken-out areas, if you can imagine--because it makes my skin look so good and conceals everything.

I am in love with this product and don't know what exactly I will do once I use up my stockpile. If anyone from Coty is reading this, PLEASE DON'T DISCONTINUE. To everyone else, get it while you can; it truly is a game-changer and unlike anything else previously existing on the market. Write to Coty if you agree! We are facing a beauty emergency here! I've never felt so strongly about a product before. continued >>

rated 4 of 5 on 6/10/2011 10:53:00 AM More reviews by lisabellydancer

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Medium Brown, Warm Hair: Brown, Kinky, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I tried this because of a review from Beautypedia because my fav Vincent Longo Water Canvas has been increasingly hard to find. Supernatural has a little more substantial coverage than a tinted moisturizer (and not very moisturizing) and is more like a liquid makeup. I have dry skin and must use a good moisturizer first. It goes on very easily with a foundation brush and stays all day, even through sweat. A tiny bit goes a long way. I love the satin finish because it's similar to the natural skin glow. Strangely, (and happily) my rosacea breakout-prone skin has been clear since I started using so even though I normally don't wear foundation daily I have been since trying this, hoping to keep this clear streak going. This is an excellent product for me. I expect that many others either don't have the right skin type for this or are having problems with mode of application. The brush I use is just like a paintbrush, not a sponge, and has a flat head about the size of a quarter.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/10/2011 3:55:00 AM More reviews by wonderbuy

This is a fabulous foundation and is very similar to Laura Mercier Silk Creme foundation. This is better for drier skins since its very creamy and lasts all day. Shade range is excellent and a little goes a long way. This is the only foundation that I have that is good enough to mix with others for shade matching purposes. Does not migrate during the day and withstands oil secretion well. I also like the powder version but I feel that this blends better. This is very buildable and is less mask-like than LM. It dries slowly so you have time to work with it. This is a very forgiving foundation and gives superb coverage. Very easy, slap n go and does not require much blending at all for a truly flawless finish.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 2/20/2011 12:55:00 AM More reviews by ashleydutta

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

If you are looking for a chemical sunscreen free and paraben free foundation, you should try this one out. It's not perfect, but it's better than the other paraben/chemical sunscreen free ones I have tried. I do NOT think this is similar to Tarte Smooth Operator, which everyone seems to compare this to. I agree with Christine on Temptalia that this is less a creamy texture and more a gel-like texture. it sets really quickly so you have to blend immediately or it will dry & look streaky. On the other hand, Tarte Smooth Operator is super creamy and blendable. You will need a moisturizer under this Philosophy foundation for it to blend well. The coverage is quite heavy - as heavy as Revlon Colorstay (I find it strange the reviewer below me said it is sheer coverage, it makes me wonder if we are reviewing the same thing?). in fact, I can get away without concealer when I wear this & I usually have to wear concealer. Problem is, I don't like heavy coverage. it's hard to make this more sheer, even when applying with a sponge, though it does help some. (Tarte Smooth Operator provides barely there coverage, so again, quite the opposite of this). The color match Natural Ivory (the lightest) is perfect for my NC 15 skin - which is great because Tarte did not have a color to match me. This wears well - it doesn't smear/slide around or settle into pores. many hour laters it still looks nice. Will I repurchase? maybe, since I need an 'everyday' foundation that is chemical sunscreen & paraben free. However, this is not what I'd wear when I really want my makeup to look nice- like for a party or dinner or date etc. It just doesn't do anything special to my skin. The coverage is too heavy, making it look a bit cakey/chalky. not luminous & smooth like I want. So for special occasions, I guess I'll have to resort to a paraben ridden foundation I love like Diorskin or MUFE HD.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/13/2011 6:36:00 PM More reviews by rocksmom

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I think this is a good product, it just wasn't right for my needs. It's very sheer, in fact they should just call it a tinted moisturizer instead of a "hybrid." It could be perfect for someone with clear skin who wants a natural, light coverage. I, however, have some blemishes and scarring. I really wanted to like this because I LOVE philosophy's skincare line which has improved my skin immensely. My breakouts are nothing like they used to be and I'm also less oily. Anyway, I really would recommend this to others. It's a nice thick consistency and the tube makes it easy to get the amount you want. It also feels very nice on your skin. Oh, the only other downside is the poor selection of shades. I chose the lightest and it looks a little dark for my skin when I squeezed it out of the tube. I think the only thing that made it work okay was that it was so sheer.

Overall I would buy it again if my skin ever cleared up completely, especially as a summer foundation. Right now though it's a no-go.

rated 2 of 5 on 12/3/2010 4:11:00 PM More reviews by sasny

Eh. Pretty disappointed. I had read some great customer reviews of this product on the philosophy site, and it sounded like the answer to everything. I was so not impressed. How is this different from any other foundation? I have combination skin and it made my t-zone super oily (so I'm going back to powder mineral foundation) and the color is too yellow. They market this as a "hybrid". A hybrid of what? Sunscreen and foundation? Whatever. It's totally not worth the money.

rated 3 of 5 on 8/19/2010 10:05:00 AM More reviews by BRABKIN

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

If this were the only physical sunscreen/moisturizer/foundation combo on the market, I would buy it again, but comparing it to Tarte "Smooth Operator" which is a very similar combo product, here's how they stack up;
Both of them are SPF 20 with only physical sunblocks (Titanium Dioxide and Zinc Oxide) and neither one irritates my dry, sensitive skin;
Supernatural Superbeautiful gives more coverage/is less sheer than Smooth Operator;
Superbeautiful has a narrower range of light colors than Smooth Operator, and all the Superbeautiful colors seem to be yellow toned, while the various light shades of Smooth Operator come in beige, yellow, and pink undertones;
Smooth Operator is easy for this rushed, non-makeup expert to apply and blend with fingers only, while Superbeautiful has a thicker consistency and is less forgiving of mistakes and harder to blend with fingers. Superbeautiful seems better suited to being applied with a brush by a person more skillful than me;
Overall, Superbeautiful gives a more polished, professional look, while Smooth Operator gives a more natural, no-makeup look;
A tube of Superbeautiful costs slightly less than a tube of Smooth Operator but a tube of Superbeautiful is 1.25 ounces, while a tube of Smooth Operator is 1.7 ounces. Also in my experience, because the Superbeautiful has a thicker consistency, the 1.25 ounces of Superbeautiful only goes about as far as an ounce of the Smooth Operator, so the Smooth Operator is a much better value all other things being equal.
Someone looking for more coverage than Smooth Operator offers, and who doesn't mind yellow undertoned foundation and/or has relatively dark skin might love Superbeautiful, but for everyday wear, I prefer the less made-up look of Smooth Operator as well as the ease of application. Having said that, both products are still much better than tinted moisturizers that use non-physical sunscreens all of which irritate my face and eyes.

9 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No