Paula's Choice CLEAR Regular Strength Acne Treatment with 2.5% Benzoyl Peroxide

4.4

Not tested on animals

New ingredients- Active Ingredient: Benzoyl Peroxide 2.5 (topical disinfectant). Inactive Ingredients: Water, Propylene Glycol (slip agent/penetration enhancer), Bisabolol, Allantoin (anti-irritants), Acrylates/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer (film-forming/suspending agent), Hydroxyethylcellulose (thickener), Sodium Citrate (pH adjuster), Laureth-4 (emulsifier), Caprylyl Glycol, Hexylene Glycol (preservatives), Sodium Hydroxide (pH adjuster), Disodium EDTA (chelating agent), Phenoxyethanol (preservative).

on 7/3/2015 2:33:00 AM

I'm not a fan of Paula's Choice products at all. And I'm suspicious of her reviews because of course she has to write some positive reviews of products so that people trust her. But every time I use products she rates highly, they don't work well at all. So when I say that this product is FANTASTIC, you know that it worked against all my Paula's Choice biases.

I used another product that gave me a ton of tiny pimples on my cheeks and forehead and chin. Usually, when I stop using a new product my skin clears up within a few days. But it didn't this time so I started searching for a low % benzoyl peroxide. I couldn't find one at the drug store, I only found 10%. As a teenager, I had a prescription for 10% benzoyl peroxide and since then have used persagel. But I find persagel to be very drying and leaves my skin flakey for several days after using it. My hair dresser is the one who told me that a lower % would still work and not dry out my skin. She's right!!

I felt like this worked overnight even though it was likely a few days. I still have some bumps and I recall my derm telling me it takes 4-6 weeks for benzoyl peroxide to work so I'm glad to have some results sooner.

Also, in terms of inactive ingredients, they work well for my skin. I've found some benzoyl peroxide with silicones in it, which I can't use. I also recall that in my youth the benzoyl peroxide bleached spots on my towels and pillow cases. I haven't noticed that with this product. It might be because it has a lower % of benzoyl peroxide.

on 5/29/2015 10:54:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

I'm a little on the fence with this product, it works quite well on exisitng pimples but it doesn't seem to prevent any acne for me. My skin looks exactly the same as it did a month ago when I started using it, infact I feel that I have more breakouts in areas I was previously clear in- possibly the Laureth 4 as another reviewer mentioned below is clogging my pores. Its very frustrating thats this isn't working for me as I had hoped it would, overall it seems like a great formula: lightweight, fragrance free etc but theres just something about it that my skin doesn't like, even so I still use it to spot treatment some areas. I'd still recommend you try it out thought, the majority of people seem to have good results, my skin is just super sensitive and picky!

on 5/25/2015 11:39:00 AM

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

For the last week I've had a number of breakouts (specifically my mouth/chin area) as a result of eliminating sweets & chocolate out of my diet and including regular exercise. The last couple of nights I treated each of them with a dab of this treatment and WOW. Woke up this morning, and the inflammation went down tremendously! Including the one on my chin that was hurting.

Keep in mind Benzoyl Peroxide is drying, and it bleaches fabric. I recommend using it at night. Definitely worth the money!

on 5/4/2015 10:34:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I wasn't sure about this, but the reviews were positive so I thought I'd give it a try. The price wasn't bad (especially with Paula's sales), it's available on several different websites, and you get a decent amount. Unscented, light lotion-y texture, quick drying, and I don't have a problem with bleach spots from transfer as long as I put it on about a half hour before bed. It is a tad drying, but my skin is not red or irritated and I've had no new zits. I use this every night and some mornings. Works great under sunscreen and /or makeup. I like the tube packaging, very practical and easy to dispense the right amount.
At this point, I'm happy and plan to repurchase when I run out. Will update after more time goes by...

on 3/7/2015 12:08:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

This is such an effective treatment but surprisingly isn't overdrying. I put this on morning and night and have noticed a huge difference in the amount of acne I have as well as dark marks. It applies and dries nicely. A word of caution though: be very careful when putting this around your mouth! I had put too much, too often, probably, and had flaking skin for a week.

on 7/31/2014 10:36:00 PM

I HAVE THE DELUXE SAMPLE.
This product is almost the same as the 'extra strength' version. They have identicle ingredients lists -sans the amount level of active ingredients. The extra strength has 5% benzoyl peroxide and this has 2% benzoyl peroxide. Just so you know concentrations in 10% 5% and 2.5% all work the same! Yet this is a gentler alternative and if you have sensitive skin you should try this first.

on 5/6/2014 2:16:00 PM

I've never had more than mild-moderate acne, but it has plagued me for 20 years and, other than when I was taking one specific oral contraceptive (that I can no longer take), I've never had completely clear skin.

I've used other 2.5% BP products over the years and have experienced irritation, flaking, and redness. However, BP does seem to work for my skin, so after reading the reviews, I decided to give this a try. I have been using it daily for about six months now, every night and occasionally in the morning. I have not experienced ANY dryness or irritation whatsoever, not even in the first few days of use. The texture is perfect, it goes on beautifully, and I have no issues applying makeup afterward.

My skin is CRYSTAL clear. Not only have I had just ONE pimple in the last two months, all of the congestion is gone too! I have no more blackheads and no more of those flesh-colored bumps! My skin is even toned and smooth, and looks better than it has EVER looked, by far.

Right around the time I began using this, I completely overhauled my skincare routine (to include several other PC products), so I can't say this product is entirely responsible, but it certainly is helping, and without the typical side effects of BP. I will definitely repurchase!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Normally I wouldn't write a review so soon (I've only used it once) but I just have to say this products texture is perfect! It's a super light quick drying gel that's invisible on skin. It didn't sting or cause irritation on the areas I applied it last night. Compared to Neutrogena's On the Spot treatment ($6.50/.75oz.) this is economical for $17/2.25oz. especially if you can get it on sale or with free shipping.I will update if I find any negative qualities.

on 11/6/2013 1:49:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I do like this. It doesn't seem to dry me out as much as the acne.org one. That being said it also doesn't seem to work as well as the acne.org one. It does dry faster and when you layer things on top of it, they don't ball up, but since the acne.org one seems to give me better results, I think I'm going to sick with it. Also the price per ounce of the acne.org one is so much cheaper. This one definitely isn't bad.

on 8/21/2013 10:39:00 PM

My skin is oily/dehydrated, sensitive, and VERY clog prone. I don't use this a lot because I try to avoid products with BP since my skin is very sensitive and dehydrated. Every time I've used it, I'd get a few new spots (whiteheads, some small inflamed red bumps) in the areas I've applied it and always shrugged it off as me spreading bacteria by messing with the original pimple. Only nearly a year later do I decide to check the ingredients. This contains laureth-4, which is very pore-clogging and irritating!! Laureth-4 should never be in anything for the treatment of acne in my opinion. No, I won't repurchase.

Popular Treatments (Face)