Paula's Choice CLEAR Regular Strength Acne Treatment with 2.5% Benzoyl Peroxide

4.3

Not tested on animals

New ingredients- Active Ingredient: Benzoyl Peroxide 2.5 (topical disinfectant). Inactive Ingredients: Water, Propylene Glycol (slip agent/penetration enhancer), Bisabolol, Allantoin (anti-irritants), Acrylates/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer (film-forming/suspending agent), Hydroxyethylcellulose (thickener), Sodium Citrate (pH adjuster), Laureth-4 (emulsifier), Caprylyl Glycol, Hexylene Glycol (preservatives), Sodium Hydroxide (pH adjuster), Disodium EDTA (chelating agent), Phenoxyethanol (preservative).

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

The only reason I'm saying I won't buy this again is because I'll be repurchasing the 5% version by Paula's Choice instead. The benzoyl formula here is great, but I get much faster results with the 5%, and I only use it at night since I don't like the idea of mixing "bleach" on my face with uv rays from sun exposure. If anyone reading this has ever tried the original proactive 3-piece system, the consistency is similar to the repairing lotion. That stuff is difficult to find these days, and the one-off listings on ebay are either expired or way overpriced. So glad I found an alternative, but I'd definitely recommend the 5% over this one.

HeadS up, this WILL stain your clothes, pillowcase, washcloths, etc. So wear a white tee to bed, buy some satin pillowcases (mine are black and have no staining issues), and use white washcloths!

$10 OFF the Paula's Choice website using this link: https://goo.gl/CLXkGf - it's legit. No catch! :)

the best acne treatment ive ever used. helps to reduce the size of my acne within 2-3 days. i used it twice a day. now i'm buying the full size after done with the 2 weeks trial :D

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

Just did not work for me. This and the 5% PC benzoyl peroxide formulas clog my pores and cause breakouts. I get great results at controlling my blackheads and cystic acne on my forehead by using cheap Walgreen's brand of 10% benzoyl peroxide.

Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure

LOVE THIS! I use it all over my skin instead of using acne-specific BHA exfoliatants and cleansers, and it's been doing wonders! In just a month and a half my skin has almost entirely cleared up, and I'm actually sort of amazed. I put this on after my BHA and before my moisturize. The price is almost always discounted to $13 (but u can get it for $3 with this link: http://goo.gl/mlJdKK if ur purchase adds up to $15), which is honestly sort of amazing for the quality. Highly! recommend this product to anyone battling acne.

Love this product...everything I use is Paula's Choice products, they are amazing and I have finally cleared my acne! :) I did have a coupon for $10 for other reviewers to use but it got deleted!

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

This has been very effective for me as a spot treatment on the inflamed zits I get from time to time. It will usually take them down by 80% after 2 applications whereas if I did nothing it would take days to see any kind of change. Also works to prevent full blown cysts from forming if I catch them early enough. I have sensitive skin and cannot use it all over...tried that once during a particularly bad breakout and was awarded with intense burning, itching, and a gnarly rash that took over a week to go away (any BP product will do this to me so I'm not blaming PC). No issues as long as I only use it on the small areas that need it in which case any itching caused by the spots is actually relieved.

I only paid about $1 for this thanks to discount codes and some store credit I had (I refuse to pay full price for PC's products) and my tube will likely last a long time. I find it much more effective than the drugstore BP creams I've tried and greatly prefer the texture which is like a creamy gel that absorbs and dries quickly. I would repurchase since it works and, with some planning, I can get it on the cheap.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Clear Acne Treatment with 2.5% Benzoyl Peroxide is one a few products from Paula's Choice that really stands out, particularly if you have sensitive skin. I have a terrible time with my due to it being sensitive and both acne prone and eczema prone. My only other experience with BP is Persagel which is higher concentration more suited for those who do not have sensitive skin. Persagel would leave me flakey even on a once a day application after about three days.

I like that this is milder, but also that it absorbs into the skin very easily and does not leave any residue. Persagel always seemed to just sit on my skin leaving behind residue. The Paulas Choice has a very light texture somewhere between a lotion and a serum. A bit pricey at $17USD for a regular size tube, but sometimes you have to splurge a little. This contains no added fragrance another plus for eczema prone and sensitive skin types.

I would repurchase as options are few for sensitive skin with acne.

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I have changed my opinion on benzoyl peroxide.
I've used it on and off for many years - for months when I was a teen and then for a couple of years after I had kids.

I usually take Paula's advice very seriously, but through experience I now think that her selling the product makes her praise this ingredient a little more than it deserves.

I personally think that you should only use this if you have mild to moderate acne only (not cystic) and only if you are not using other products (aha, bha acids, retinols, etc).

This is what happened to my skin while on it: it controlled smaller pimples most of the time, but the big cysts were more frequent. I was always so afraid to stop using it because I thought if my acne is this bad while I'm killing all this bacteria, it's going to be so much worse if I stop. But my skin was irritated all the time. Between the BHA and the suncreen and this benzoyl peroxide - it just didn't look or feel good. It was always a bit discolored.

I've stopped the every day BHA and the BP and my skin has returned to its normal tone. It still breaks out (and I know this is more complicated than just topical creams), but it seems to be doing better under Dapsone cream. Dapsone kills bacteria, it's gentle and never stings.

There is nothing wrong with this product though. It's as good as a BP cream can get, I just think it shouldn't be marketed with regular BHA use and the first line of defense against acne (especially cystic acne). If your skin is extra sensitive like mine and breaks out when you rub it too much or get stressed out, skip benzoyl peroxide, go to a dermatologist ASAP. This cream will not penetrate deep enough to address the cause of your issue.

I'm not a fan of Paula's Choice products at all. And I'm suspicious of her reviews because of course she has to write some positive reviews of products so that people trust her. But every time I use products she rates highly, they don't work well at all. So when I say that this product is FANTASTIC, you know that it worked against all my Paula's Choice biases.

I used another product that gave me a ton of tiny pimples on my cheeks and forehead and chin. Usually, when I stop using a new product my skin clears up within a few days. But it didn't this time so I started searching for a low % benzoyl peroxide. I couldn't find one at the drug store, I only found 10%. As a teenager, I had a prescription for 10% benzoyl peroxide and since then have used persagel. But I find persagel to be very drying and leaves my skin flakey for several days after using it. My hair dresser is the one who told me that a lower % would still work and not dry out my skin. She's right!!

I felt like this worked overnight even though it was likely a few days. I still have some bumps and I recall my derm telling me it takes 4-6 weeks for benzoyl peroxide to work so I'm glad to have some results sooner.

Also, in terms of inactive ingredients, they work well for my skin. I've found some benzoyl peroxide with silicones in it, which I can't use. I also recall that in my youth the benzoyl peroxide bleached spots on my towels and pillow cases. I haven't noticed that with this product. It might be because it has a lower % of benzoyl peroxide.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

I'm a little on the fence with this product, it works quite well on exisitng pimples but it doesn't seem to prevent any acne for me. My skin looks exactly the same as it did a month ago when I started using it, infact I feel that I have more breakouts in areas I was previously clear in and over all my skin is far more inflammed- possibly the Laureth 4 as another reviewer mentioned below is clogging my pores. Its very frustrating thats this isn't working for me as I had hoped it would, overall it seems like a great formula: lightweight, fragrance free etc but theres just something about it that my skin doesn't like, even so I still use it to spot treatment some areas. I'd still recommend you try it out thought, the majority of people seem to have good results, my skin is just super sensitive and picky!