October 25, 2014 | 1552 users online

Hair Treatments - Coppola - Keratin Complex Smoothing Therapy Treatment

rated 4 of 5 on 9/26/2014 10:46:00 AM More reviews by AUMom

Stick with the "original" Keratin Complex Smoothing Treatment, its wonderful!!! The new glycolic acid version made my hair smell like rotten sauerkraut for over a week!!! Yuck!!! The original is more expensive and takes longer, but it's worth it. I look for salon specials or Groupons (Groupon.com) to get the best price.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 2/12/2014 1:52:00 AM More reviews by NancyDrew27

Someone please help!! I just received a treatment from a professional stylist with Keratin Complex - a new product in the line which uses glycolic acid and is supposed to be a style-and-go treatment - i.e. wash whenever you like after it's straightened. She specifically recommended this product for me because I was interested in a keratin, but didn't want to wait the typical three days before washing. I just visited the company's website to confirm - they say it's possible to wash as soon as the treatment is done. The stylist finished at around 5:30 and I got my hair wet at around 9:30. I noticed a terrible smell - so bad in fact, that I thought maybe the toilet was backed up or that something was wrong with the water in the shower. I can't describe the smell - something akin to a pile of moldy wet towels, wet dog hair, and feces. Disgusting! I've washed my hair twice and conditioned and piled on good-smelling products. Drying helped, but the smell hasn't completely gone away and was as bad as ever after shampooing, until I blow-dryed. My hair's condition has improved, but my God, I don't care if she has to destroy it to get out this tenacious stench, nothing is worth this!

Has anyone had a similar experience and figured out how to get rid of the smell? If so, please PM me and offer advice - I'm desperate! I'm so disappointed and devastated by this, and it smelled absolutely amazing after she'd flat-ironed it in the salon before it got wet. I was just dumped before Valentine's Day and got this treatment in order to feel better, and now my hair smells like s*&% -- literally. Thanks a lot Keratin Complex, you'll definitely be hearing from me.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/23/2013 1:56:00 PM More reviews by pjsmom3

I have been using this product (Coppola KT) since 2008...and I prefer this to a relaxer any day...I am black and have coarse curly hair and this has been the best product for my hair without using a relaxer. My hair stylist did try at one point a different product, the "bioionic kerasmooth" because it was a faster process than the Coppola Keratin Therapy! Wrong answer for my hair, the Bioionic kerasmooth broke my hair off and gave me patches...I ended up cutting off all of the long hair I had grown from the Coppola KT in order to get my hair back healthy. When I went back to her and she saw the damage she did a protein treatment (two separate times) and when the timing was right we reintroduced the Coppola KT back to my hair and it is growing back healthier again! It doesn't mean it works for everyone but it has been a great product for me. I usually get the treatment done every 3 months, sometimes I've pushed 4 months, but I can tell the condition of my hair once it's time for a new treatment it is dry on the ends and my new growth or roots are really frizzy so my hair knows when it needs a new treatment and I get it done...perfect!

rated 5 of 5 on 6/28/2013 10:43:00 AM More reviews by lovepink82407

I'm a hair stylist and just got this coppola treatment done to my hair! And I just want to say, this system is AMAZING! My hair dries so smooth and basically frizz free. This is not a straightening system, but it will smooth down curls. My very fine hair has been through a lot this year (bleaching, coloring, then bleaching again) and this treatment helped gain its strength back. My ends were a bit toasty due to the 7-10 times of passing a 430 degree flat iron on my hair. However, after a trim you hair will feel so soft and strong. The treatment is super pricey but I honestly think it's worth it. I'm so impressed with my results, that I will continue to have this treatment done to my hair from here on out.

Also to add: Waiting three days (72 hours) to shampoo/ wet hair was a bit tough, but just find yourself a good dry shampoo. This will be your best friend!!

rated 4 of 5 on 5/28/2013 10:14:00 PM More reviews by Laurad01

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Most of the reviews I read on this product were from people with long, thick, course, and/or curly hair. Being a fine, straight(ish), and thin-haired woman, I thought it would be nice to add a review from that point of view. This is long, but I wanted to give as much detail as possible. Here we go.

A little background on my hair... Fine, thin, natural medium blonde, very dry ends, lots of breakage. My hair has been highlighted for over 10 years, but hadn't been highlighted for about 6 months before the treatment. When allowed to air-dry, my hair was completely unruly. Basically, I COULDN'T air-dry because it dried embarrassingly frizzy, poofy, and half-straight half-wavy. Not pretty. I flat ironed every day since I can remember. It was to the point that I couldn't style it without straightening. If it makes sense, it was so damaged by heat styling that it needed even more heat styling! Viscous cycle... Whole thing in a nutshell, it was frizzy, poofy, weightless (not in a good way), damaged, and uncontrollable no matter what styling products I used. So...

First, when deciding to have the Keratin Complex treatment done on my hair, my main concern was damage and breakage from the extremely high temperature of the flat iron, even though everyone says the treatment is good for your hair. The recommended temperature for fine hair is 410 degrees, with extra passes on the hair. My stylist ended up doing 9 passes or "taps" at the root, then about 6 down the rest of my hair. Watching it, I was scared to death my hair would just fall off. As of now, the day after the treatment, I have only seen a few split hairs. I can't say whether these were due to the treatment or were already there, but I'm leaning toward the treatment since I received a very good haircut after it was done. I can deal with that though, because my hair is completely silky, soft, and smooth. The entire process took 2 1/2 hours including a cut after, because there were two girls working on my hair due to a scheduling mistake. They had to get me out fast. The normal time is more like 3-3 1/2 hours.

Second, I was worried sick that I would pay for this expensive treatment and somehow mess it up. (My salon charged me $350 which included the Keratin Complex shampoo and the vanilla bean deep conditioner) There is a long list of rules to follow afterward. I was afraid of sleeping on it and ending up with a horrible kink in it. Didn't happen. It stayed stick straight. I pulled it back with a silk scarf to wash my face, so it stayed dry. I put it behind my ears a couple times by habit today and when I realized it and took it out from behind my ear, it was still stick straight. (I'm writing this review on the second day after the treatment.)

So, my verdict: So far, this was SO worth the money. I was desperate, at the end of my rope, and ready to just shave my head and start again. (Ok maybe not) But seriously, I had no clue what else to try. I've probably spent three times the money in the last couple months on shampoos and conditioners, styling products, deep conditioners, at-home treatments, etc, than I did yesterday for a 4-5 month solution to my problems. I even broke down and tried both the Kerastase Nutritive and Resistance lines, to no avail. So, in my case, I'm actually saving money by paying for this expensive "hair thing" as my husband calls it lol! My hair is as smooth as a baby's hair, bouncy, and finally has that "weight" to it that healthy hair has... What I mean by "weight" is the weight that allows each individual strand to swing back and forth when I turn my head, instead of the whole mop just moving together in one ugly motion. I have never had that before! It is as sleek as a model on a hair commercial and shines like glass. I couldn't be more impressed. Side note: I do have a few Alfalfa sprigs on the top of my head. They are hairs that were broken before that I am used to struggling with in the form of kinky flyaways. Now they are totally straight, but stick due North! Ha! My stylist said they would calm down after my first wash.

I will post an update after my first wash and include pictures. I plan to wash and just blow dry. I'm actually hoping to get a little volume back after washing. When I say my hair is straight, I mean STRAIGHT. And it looks very thin, but what do you expect when you straighten the beegees out of already thin hair? In the meantime, take a look at the before and after pics on my profile. Hope this helps someone out there to make a decision.

UPDATE: After my first wash, I was able to simply blow dry my hair with a regular vent brush and it was perfectly smooth and straight. I could not be more impressed. However, I'm noticing more and more split ends and breaking hairs... I am attributing this to the flat iron temp on my fine and fragile hair. I hope this stops soon. I'm using the Copolla vanilla bean deep conditioner and Marrakesh oil, and hoping that will help. I have now washed my hair twice, and the results are the same as the first wash. I am very happy. I removed one lipstick for the fact that my hair is breaking and splitting. Hopefully this does not become a major problem!

8 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 6/27/2012 5:42:00 PM More reviews by LauraWolfhart

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This was a pretty big investment and it did deliver for the first month or so but later my hair just started looking damaged and dry. The ends looked especially fried and I couldn't help but regret not getting the same one as my sister who got a Cocoa Keratin treatment instead of the Coppola. I guess argan oil does make the difference because her hair is perfectly healthy :(

rated 5 of 5 on 2/25/2012 10:29:00 PM More reviews by DeeTaylor

Keratin Complex Infusion -Keratin Replenisher

I just found this product. I'm a lover of all of the Coppola Keratin Hair products. This does exactly what ot says I'm not overly fond of the scent but it's light and disappears after I use my flat-iron.

I have long thick naturally curly hair (think Skakira) and I straighten my hair and Bleach it...Also I use my flat-iron regulary. Coppola's
line of Keratin Shampoo/Conditioner's and Therapy products are my new must have. My Hair looks and feels healthier and stronger.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/30/2012 12:07:00 AM More reviews by LeMinx

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I've struggled with my super curly, super frizzy hair since virtually the day I was born. Growing up in the 80s/early 90s, my choices of straighteners was pretty limited. I tried at home relaxers (just don't...ever), flat irons, hot rollers, you name it. Nothing ever, ever worked for me. About two years ago, I finally plunked down the money for a Chi and was pleasantly surprised to find a flat iron that actually straightened my hair (my how flat irons have evolved!). However, even with the Chi, I still battled with the frizzies and the curl coming back. It also took me a good 45 minutes to completely straighten my hair.

Last summer I got a wild hair (no pun intended) and decided to get my hair colored professionally. I (stupidly) chose a very expensive "high end" salon to get this done. While there, the colorist and everyone who came in contact with me kept going on and on about this keratin complex treatment and how beneficial it would be for my hair. Since I had some disposable money at the time, I decided to go for it.

The first time I got it done I went back to the same high end salon and paid $400. This is a ridiculous price as my hair is barely shoulder length. While I do have lots of hair, it is basically very fine but super curly (think Mariah Carey in her Vision of Love days). The whole process took three whopping hours, but the stylist who did it couldn't have been nicer. Overall, I was very, very pleased with the results. My hair was smooth, silky and so easy to straighten. Luckily for me, I didn't have any adverse effects. My treatment also lasted a bit longer (about four months) as I held off on washing my hair constantly.

After deciding to get the complex again, I knew I had to find a more affordable salon. Since the complex itself is getting more popular, more places are offering it which means better prices for consumers. I highly suggest to anyone interested in getting this done to shop around. High end salons are great if you have money to burn and are concerned about a "name", but they do virtually the same work as smaller salons. I'll gladly trade the trendy atmosphere and loud music to save a few hundred bucks! After some research, I found a salon close to my home that was offering the complex on special for $99. I got the complex done a few weeks ago and again, I'm completely thrilled with the results. Even without the special fee, the salon I went to offers this service for $250. Still pricey but more affordable than high end salons.

In my opinion, this complex is an absolute God-send to those of us who have unruly hair. I would encourage anyone interested in it to thoroughly research it, pick a reputable but moderately priced salon and go for it. Also, be aware of the side effects of the chemicals and bear in mind that this isn't going to completely straighten your hair. If just makes what you have a whole lot easier to manage.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/21/2011 8:46:00 AM More reviews by islandantoinette

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Very Dry, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I used a Keratin Product that my salon stylist daughter sent me. The first time she did it for me, then today I did my own. As with what people are saying it is more difficult as you have to stretch your arms way up and out and they get tired. I had a hard time getting enough pull on the hair when using the flat iron to get it really super super straight. But I was able to do it and it is nice! Has all the same qualities as when my daughter did mine. However a note for some people who say it does not "work" for their hair. I had to have my hair done TWICE each time to get the same desired effect that most other people get with one treatment. I have VERY VERY thick curly, frizzy, nappy long hair! What do you expect! Other than that I have had no trouble. I am concerned about what the conversationalists on Oprah have to say about the hair falling out not on the first or second treatment but there after. BUT was unable to bring it up with the URL the lady left. I have not read any other negative comments at all and I have been in here for two days reading everything I can find out about it all over the internet. So ladies, when you say the Coppola works it makes me want to get this brand for the $135 that the one lady paid online. As my daughters price was still $200 to buy it for me! I am hoping it is one of those products that will come down over the years. But why do I think not when the salons are making SO MUCH
money so easily?
Love reading peoples comments.
Aloha
Antoinette

rated 3 of 5 on 12/7/2011 6:10:00 PM More reviews by toxique

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I'll start of by saying, in this area, this treatment runs about $300 a pop. Luckily, I got it on one of those internet coupon sites for only $89, so I thought I'd give it a try.

The process was pretty simple. Washing my hair, then applying the complex with a coloring like brush, let it sit, then blow dry and straightening my hair. The no getting it went or tucking/pinning hair for 72 hours was a bit of a pain, but nothing that was intolerable.

It's been six weeks now since the treatment, and I have to say I do enjoy the benefits of this. My hair doesn't dry stick straight, but there is absolutely zero frizz and it's softly waved. My hair used to dry to the size of a small, frizzy, curly afro. It used to take me an hour to blow dry and straighten my hair, now I can get it done in half an hour. I've also had no problem curling my hair. In fact, my hair seems to hold curls better now.

I have only two complaints. First, being cost. This isn't something so brilliantly wonderful that I'd spend $300 on it every two months. Luckily, if you're handy and have a friend that can help, you can buy a bottle of the stuff online for half the cost of one treatment and get 2-4 treatments out of it depending on how long and thick your hair is. Secondly, I've noticed that my hair now gets oilier faster than before the treatment. I trained my hair/scalp to be able to wash my hair only once a week, and it was in excellent condition. Now, by day four, it's pretty flat and oily and I have to wash it twice a week. Still not that bad, but a minor inconvenience.

Overall, I give it 3 stars. Not a super amazing product, but considering it's ease of application and the ability to buy this and do it yourself, it's a nice option.