Sebulex Medicated Dandruff Shampoo

Active Ingredients: Sulfur (2%), Salicylic Acid (2%) Inactive Ingredients: D&C Yellow 10, Docusate Sodium, EDTA, FD&C Blue 1, Fragrance, PEG 6 Lauramide, PEG 14M, Sodium Dodecylbenzene Sulfonate, Sodium Octoxynol-2 Ethane Sulfonate, Water

on 4/3/2015 4:31:00 PM

I have seborrheic dermatitis. I had tried Nizoral, H&S and Selsun Blue. It's pretty much trial and error, and none of these worked for me. I have some success with dermasmooth, but more with the brand name than the generic, but the brand name stinks to high heaven. So I tried the generic of sebulex because sebulex is no longer on the market. It's called Sebex and it's the same 2% each of colloidal sulfur and salicylic acid. Directions are shake, massage into scalp for 3-5 minutes, rinse, repeat application, rinse. I would never massage my scalp for 3 minutes. I'd be afraid of losing too much hair. So I would apply, massage thoroughly, but gently then leave it on for 3-5 minutes and repeat. I would then wash just my hair with a moisturizing shampoo because it dried out my hair. I used it every third day. It seemed to be helping a little bit after a few uses. It smells terrible from the sulfur, and the 3-5 minute thing was very annoying, but if it helped, I was willing to put up with it. Today, I towel dried my hair, and looked in the mirror, and my scalp and hair were loaded with flakes. It looked like someone dumped a bucket of flakes on my head. I am having a really busy day today, and I really didn't need this, but I had no choice. I got back into the shower and started over.

on 10/26/2010 7:10:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium

I started using this on my son's SD when his pediatrician recommended it for a bad flare in 2007. AWESOME stuff. His head stopped itching after 2 uses and he was cleared up from a pretty severe case in a couple of weeks. When I get an itchy scalp a couple of uses of this clears it right up. The combo of sulfur and salicylic acid is hard to find in shampoos for SD. In fact, sulfur shampoos are generally difficult to come by.....they don't smell great but they are EFFECTIVE. And the smell doesn't linger after the hair is dry. I wish this was easier to find in local drugstores, I always have to order it online.

on 6/9/2010 11:29:00 PM

I'm very happy with the results of this product too. Contains sulfur and salicylic acid. Not as happy about the sulfur smell, but it works so well for itchy, oily scalp and scalp/hairline zits that I'll put up with it. My hair is bouncy and stays clean longer, too. To deal with the smell, instead of following the regular instructions (lather, leave on five minutes, rinse & repeat) I only lather/leave on at least 5 minutes one time and follow with a different shampoo. So long as my symptoms are fairly mild I find that keeps things under control without leaving me with sulfurous-smelling hair.

on 9/16/2009 2:03:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

I can't believe no one has reviewed this. I first tried this many years ago when my doctor prescribed it to me for my seborrheic dermatitis. Then it was available w/o Rx and I could find it cheaper in the stores. It was the only shampoo that worked so well for me. I've tried the coal tar shampoos and the salicylic acid shampoos and found that sulfur based products work best for me.

This lathered well enough and did the job. Then I stopped seeing it in stores and had to settle for other shampoos that didn't work as well. I have since switched to making my own shampoo (see my notepad) but did notice that this shampoo is being sold on drugstore.com. So, if for some reason my current shampoo stops working, I will definitely purchase Sebulex.

If you have SD, itchy scalp or dandruff issues, I highly recommend giving this a try. :)

Popular Shampoos