October 23, 2014 | 1921 users online

Hair - Conair - CS54 Nano Tourmaline Ceramic Curler & Straightener AKA You Style Multi-Function Styler-Straightener

rated 3 of 5 on 1/9/2011 7:00:00 PM More reviews by bigb00

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

This product is pretty good. I've reciently opened up to the conair infiniti line ( vs high end appliances ) and this product I would give an OK score to. I could make much nicer, curlier or beachy waves with a flatiron and not snag my hair or have to do it 2 or 3 times, but Some people can't so.. Thats why its ok. Heat isn't as High and I would like it, but is acceptable. The reason it's an ok product and why I'd buy it again is the price - for 30$ and a heat pouch/brush and the product I couldn't go wrong.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/2/2011 11:51:00 PM More reviews by rittybear

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Brown

I'd only recommend this product if you feel like spending close to an hour doing your hair. The straightener works great, leaves a little curl at the ends but doesn't get to the root. The curler took a month to get used to. I had to Google tutorials because the video that comes with it didn't help. Maybe it's my hair type but the curls never last long, although I do enjoy the waves it creates. Great for curling my bangs but sometimes can leave a nasty crease in my hair. Doesn't get really hot either but doesn't leave hair with a burnt smell.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/17/2010 5:29:00 PM More reviews by sweetlysour21

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I got this as a gift because I was trying to find a good strightener. I have really thick, wavy relaxed hair. I usually only use this for about a month after I get a relaxer because my hair is already pretty straight for a while after but after that I need a straightener with a brush or comb to get rid of my waves. Anyway, I like this because it does straighten well and doesn't need to be ran over my hair more than 2x. Also, I like the wavey curls it creates but it took me a lot of practice to get the look I wanted. Overall, I think its nice, it does a great job on turning the ends in for a bobby look or great for bangs. I use to daily on my bangs. Not the best curler but nice to have

rated 1 of 5 on 5/25/2010 9:04:00 PM More reviews by Sasy

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I don't provide many reviews because so many things are extremely subjective. What's great for me might not be for you. However, this is so awful I can't help myself. I would not give this to my worst enemy. The curling portion of the item is just pitiful to simply put it and if you're only needing a flat iron get one without the curved edge as on this product so that if you decide to curl with a flat iron you'd have a fighting chance to produce presentable hair. I can not wait to get this back to the store to return it.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/16/2010 2:46:00 PM More reviews by renaissancegirl

I have medium-length layers and side swept bangs and it's wavy but frizzy and I thought I'd give this product a try to make me look less like a cave woman. I wanted something that will do waves or straight depending on my mood so I thought I'd give this product a try. It heats up in a flash (which is perfect as my grooming time is limited) and is quick and easy to use whether I'm going for straight or waves (I can curl my hair much more quickly with this than with my old curling iron). If you are going for curly though, it doesn't give you a tight curl - it's more like loose, beachy waves. So if you are going for tight curls, I say skip this product - the model on the box is not an accurate representation of what this tool can do. Also, if you have long hair (especially if it's thick) I'm not sure this would be robust enough for your needs. But anyway, I love this and it's nice to have a sort of 2 in 1 tool when traveling.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/4/2010 2:06:00 AM More reviews by taralanette

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Blue

I have very naturally curly hair. Finding any product that can make my hair as straight as possible is an amazing thing. I got this for Christmas and I love it! Normally when I find a straightener I am semi-happy with, I stick with them, so I was pleased to at least get a chance to try something new. I don't really use the curling part of the iron, but the straigtener is great. It really gets my hair stick-straight like I want it and it lasts all day. I can even sleep on it, and in the morning it will still be straight, where as before I would have to spend another 15 minutes in the bathroom doing touch-ups.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/2/2010 4:13:00 PM More reviews by mrsschwager

I am hair challenged, which is the reason I bought this product. I wanted to be able to curl my straight, long, thick hair quickly. After two days of "practice" (AKA burning the heck out of my hair) all I can achieve with this product is a very, very wimpy wave. Should have saved my money.

rated 3 of 5 on 9/15/2009 10:11:00 PM More reviews by AstoundedFruitbat

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Sorry about the long product title, but I find there is a lot of confusion among Conair products because they are advertised by so many different names. For clarification, this is model CS54 the "As seen on TV" item.

If you're looking for a straightener, you will not be displeased. It heats up fast (30 seconds according to the back) and this is true for the *inner* plates, the ones you use for straightening. It does a good job on my wavy thin hair, getting it stick straight if pulled straight through, or with a nice large round curl at the ends if I rotate the tool. The latter is very easy to achieve with this straightener, and won't kink the hair like some other straighteners that lack the curved outer plates; you can create a very natural looking straight style this way.

Now as for curling...

Just to preface this part of the review: I am experienced in using straighteners to curl hair. I prefer the type of curl they give as opposed to curling irons. Curling irons give a tighter, rounder curl, where as straighteners can give a more "unicorn horn" type curl where the curls actually tend to spiral at a more vertical angle. If you haven't seen it before it's hard to explain, but don't buy this if you're expecting curling-iron curls.

IMO curling with a straightener is more challenging than curling with a curling iron. I bought this item thinking that it would make it easier to do with the curved outer plates. Well, it's different; easier in some ways but harder in others.

Firstly, the curved outer plates do not seem to have a heating element in them. They take a lot longer to heat up compared to the inner plates, much longer. At least 60 seconds, probably 2 minutes to be safe. The little blinking light on the side that indicates that it is ready lies. The outer plates will stay cool to the touch after the inner plates are red-hot and the heat indicator has long since indicated the unit is ready. To state the obvious: you will get much better results if you wait for the outer plates to heat up before curling.

Getting good curls with this thing is all about technique. Be prepared to burn your hair if you've never learned how to curl with a straightener. The outer plates make it easier to rotate through the hair, but don't really help beyond that, and the little joints where the outer plates attach to the device can catch on your hair badly (I don't know why they don't make these things all one piece or at least seal up the joints.) The key to getting good curls is to keep rotating the device all the way through the hair and to keep the angle and spacing between the rolled strands consistent. It takes practice to get curls of all the same consistency. It will look messy and kinky if you're not doing it right. It's much easier to do the shorter your hair is, and the smaller your sections are.

Overall, if you're buying this for the curling but you already have a straightener that can do it, skip this product. It's not going to revolutionize the way you curl your hair. If you don't already have a straightener and would like a 2-in-1 this is not bad. It's on sale at the CVS website right now for $30.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No