November 27, 2014 | 986 users online

Treatments (Face) - LUSH - Grease Lightning Spot Cleanser

rated 4 of 5 on 10/21/2014 6:17:00 PM More reviews by Loritheglory

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I like this product and have repurchased it twice, however I think the name is somewhat deceiving. It is not a cleanser, but rather a face serum. It is supposed to prevent break outs and pimples from coming up. When I first tried this product I only put a dab onto impurities and noticed that it completely dried out the area. I now use only one pump for my whole face and it is not drying and prevents breakouts so far. It helped me clear up my face and I would recommend it to anyone who doesn't have overly dry skin, because my skin still does feel "tight" after application and I need a moisturizer after using this.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/19/2014 1:13:00 PM More reviews by Insipidgrimskie

HOLY GRAIL product! I will never be without it. I believe this to be one of the most effective products that I have ever used. I suffer from very clogged pores, combination skin, occasional pimples. I usually use Dr.Hauschka products if I am having better skin days, otherwise a glycolic cleanser, thayers toner, aztec mask which helps of course but not as much as I would like. Recently I had a very stressful wknd and broke out with 5 or so pimples. I used my usually reliable Mario Badescu Drying Spot Treatment to no avail. I did some research and it looked like Grease Lightning was the next best thing, after using it 5 hours later my pimples began drying up, the redness was disappearing..I could not believe my eyes and would never have expected it to work so quickly. I have been using Coalface, Thayers witch hazel toner, Enzymion, Grease Lightning on spots during the day and apply it on larger areas of my face at night and wake up with clearer and clearer skin everyday, tight pores and all pimples have dried up (Have also been using Cosmetic Warrior or Mask of Magnaminty every other day, which has definitely helped). It is quite drying, but I believe the Ocean Salt (have been using the self-preserving one) exfoliates any dry bits and moisturizes them . I have previously used other lush skin products, but now see that I wasn't using the right ones. This is the clearest my skin has ever been and I will only be using these products from now on. I have spent thousands on products and not to mention hours researching products to get the clearest skin ever and my search is definitely over. As far as parabens used in a few of these products, read the many scientific studies that have been done on them from official websites and do not always trust public opinion, parabens have been sensationalized/hyped up to such an extreme point. Science over speculation. Do your own research.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/23/2014 6:13:00 AM More reviews by mscourty

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Medium Eyes: Blue

Even though I am a Lush devote, I was dubious about grease lightening. However, after my flatmate accidently smashed my glass bottle of straight tea tree oil, I figured it wouldn't hurt to give it a try. I have fairly oily skin, with occasional spots, but keep in mind that I definitely do not have acne or any really serious skin problems. Overnight, my spots dried up and over the next day or so they disappeared. My patches of skin I had applied was so much less dry afterwards compared to it is when I use benzoyl peroxide which is also a bonus. Definitely will continue to buy.

rated 1 of 5 on 8/7/2014 4:58:00 PM More reviews by Callmecorrina

unfortunately, this is the first skin product at LUSH to not work for me. It is a gel like constancy with beneficial ingredients that target acne. This is actually my second time buying this product because I really wanted to give it a try, my sister and I shared a bottle & both of us saw no results. We were confused as what it was supposed to do because our pimples continued to come & this product was not improving the existing ones. It really did nothing to my skin, it didn't dry it out, make it better nor did it worsen it. My skin care routine is also all LUSH products so it is upsetting that it did not work out. I do actually like the smell of this, very natural & i think the pump gives out more product than you need but you get a decent size bottle for the amount you pay. It does last forever! so that's an up. Because I did not get any type of reaction to my skin, it's hard to say who i'd recommend this for. I am not sure which skin type it best suits but i'm guessing all. I say, ask for a sample first before purchasing!

rated 4 of 5 on 8/6/2014 5:48:00 AM More reviews by blalana

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I liked this product a lot! Of course, it will not magically remove all of your pimples, but it does a great job. I noticed a big change in the "redness" of my pimples. It dries them out and after a few days they will disappear. The smell is amazing! I use it a few times throughout a day if I'm at home and apply it on my pimples only.
However, if you put too much it would leave a film and make your face feel dry and tight. Also, I'm not a huge fan of the packaging because you simply cannot press it gently enough to get a small amount of this gel. Also, it is a bit pricey (14$ in Croatia)
So, I would definitely buy this product again because it really does give you results. You should also try it with a Cupcake mask.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/1/2014 9:51:00 PM More reviews by nessav06

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I love this and I also don't at the same time. This doesn't break me out (how ironic, I've actually used a spot treatment that broke me out before). This can be used as a spot treatment or an overall face serum. You don't wash it off despite the "cleanser" in the name on the website. One whole pump is way too much even for my whole face. If I use it as a spot treatment then I would very gently press down on the pump and it would dispense a tiny amount and that's enough for almost all the spots on my face. This will last a long time. I noticed that if I used too much, it would leave a film over the spot I used it on. It doesn't smell bad or burn like most acne spot treatments. It's very gentle so sometimes I feel like it doesn't do much. This is not an overnight treatment where you see results the next day but it is better to use this than not.

rated 1 of 5 on 7/9/2014 1:12:00 AM More reviews by chixxle

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

First of I'm a teen who gets pimples especially on my forehead and I have moderately oily but sensitive skin. I bought this a few weeks ago because it was recommended by a friend but it turns out it's useless for me. PACKAGING: the packing is okay. It's a simple sturdy pump bottle but it dispenses waaaaaay too much product. PRODUCT: for me this was a garbage product when you first out it on your troubled spots it feels nice and cooling and tightening but in less than an hour it makes my skin crazy oily in the spots I put it on. It not only does that but it does absolutely nothing for my spots. OVERALL: no matter how many times I try to use this product it just does nothing and I will most definetly not buy it again nor will I recommend it to anyone. Seriously disappointed Lushie here :(

rated 5 of 5 on 7/5/2014 9:47:00 AM More reviews by DiscoPandaGoGo

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

Before I do this review, I will give a bit of a backstory as to why I was looking for some acne treating products:

I have always had very dry skin, and that included maybe getting a small breakout here or there, oily t-zone once in awhile, but that was it. I've always had good clear skin, no huge breakouts or anything, but the past few months since I turned 26 have been nothing short of hell. I had cystic acne all over my jaw line and chin.. and I went through almost every doctor perscribed product you could use. So I had about given up hope, and I went to LUSH to see if they had anything to fight acne. I purchased Herbalism cleanser and this little bottle of Grease Lightning. I was not sure if it would do anything, but I put it on the night before I went to bed, woke up.. and low and behold, my cysts had shrunk over 50%. And now after two weeks of use they are GONE. I still have some scarring from them, and a few little inflamations here and there, but that's my hormones, and so far Grease Lightning has kept my acne breakouts under control. I am very happy with this product, and I hope it continues to give me the results I love.

As for the product itself, it smells good, just like witch hazel, the consistency is interesting almost like a gel product. The pump is convienent and the size is great for bringing it with you on the go!

rated 5 of 5 on 6/26/2014 11:29:00 AM More reviews by DJCupcakes

I don't know what on earth I did before this product, and I don't know what I'll do if I'm ever without it. I have combination to oily, very acne-prone skin. I've dealt with acne in some form for almost 15 years. It's quite mild now, but still prone to spots. Grease Lightning is perfect for my skin.

I smooth it on all over my face (avoiding eye area, of course), dabbing a little extra on any spots or blemishes I currently have. A little goes a long way. The texture is a fluid gel that absorbs almost instantly into the skin and leaves zero "feeling" behind, as if you never put anything on. The smell is very subtle and fresh; it doesn't really smell like tea tree oil to my nose, although I would describe it as "herbal-y."

This does a great job of clearing up the little red pimples I get that never come to a head. It will also work on inflamed pimples or pustules, although it does take a little longer to bring them down than the usual acne medications like benzoyl peroxide. It's a worthwhile trade-off to me, though, because this doesn't dry out my skin or make it flake. I actually find it quite soothing to my skin and it seems to bring down irritation as well as zits. It will not do anything on cystic acne, however, and if I find myself with a cyst, I skip this and bust out the benzoyl peroxide straight away.

The other nice thing about this is that it keeps me matte. After starting to use it every night, I've noticed I wake up with much less oil on my face in the morning. I don't usually use this during the day, but if my skin feels particularly oily, I will - and it really does help keep the oil at bay underneath my makeup.

Bottom line: This doesn't do 100% of the work of keeping me clear, but I've found it to be a very valuable component. Will keep using and will repurchase when I run out.

rated 1 of 5 on 5/23/2014 3:09:00 AM More reviews by MariahGabrielle

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

Definitely not a fan of this whatsoever. I was recommended this product in store while looking for something to get rid of breakouts. J was told this was an amazing zit zapper. And I find it does absolutely nothing for me. Even when I used it religiously for weeks. I was also told it could be used as a mattifier. Which it totally does give your skin a matte finish when a thin layer is applied. But when it dries and you move your face it feels so tight and it cracks so I don't know how anyone could use this under much less over makeup.