April 16, 2014 | 1819 users online

Toners - Paula's Choice - CLEAR Regular Strength Anti-Redness Exfoliating Solution With 2% Salicylic Acid

rated 4 of 5 on 3/29/2014 1:59:00 AM More reviews by goodtimesdani

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I have been using this toner for a over a month now. I have been using it with a cotton ball, because that is always how I have used toners in the past. However, this is my first expensive toner, and I'm going to get cotton pads tomorrow, because they soak up less product and I have started to notice that my product is going out very quickly. I am also going to try putting it in my hands and patting it on my face to use less of it that way as well!

But anyway, let's talk results! I start out by cleansing my face with BASIS brand cleanser. (By the way, a very very good face wash). after toning with Paula's Choice moisturizing toner which removes the rest of my makeup that cleansing did not get (I wear a lot of makeup), I then use this product all over my face. The first thing I noticed about this really surprised me. Even after cleansing and toning, this Clear BHA STILL removed a little bit more excess dirt! Before I would just cleanse and moisturize. I now know that there is A LOT of excess dirt that needs to go.

I have combination acne prone skin. With no foundation and concealer on my face, there are some red spots mostly here and there around my chin and mouth. Using this morning and night has noticeable blurred these spots, and has Definitely prevented new ones from forming.

It is very very gentle for me and a great addition to my skincare routine. I would recommend it to anyone because I think it works great for many different skin types. I have been very happy with the results!

Also, I will say that it is best to use it every single day for a few weeks and then you will definitely notice a difference.

The only reason I didn't give it a full perfect rating is because the bottle is surprisingly small for the price you pay

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 3/23/2014 11:48:00 PM More reviews by LilacShine9

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

This treatment/toner seemed it would be great for all skin-types, excellent product claims, and the reviews here were mostly positive, so I wanted to give it a try for my moderately acne-prone skin. At first I used it sparingly only on spots. Then I used it mixed with a bit of water because it seemed to aggravate my skin. After using a light amount all over my skin, once a day for 3 days, my skin became horrible; dry and clogged. Then the actual breakouts and terrible cysts began. One was so bad it was very swollen almost like a boil, which took days to go down and heal. My skin has never looked like this irritated and damaged in my life! It has made me feel ugly and depressed for sure. :-( I know this product was the culprit because it was the only thing I added and Im someone that uses minimal skincare. The price was a bit steep, but the packaging nice. Extremely let down by this product. Avoid if you've got sensitive skin or react to a certain ingredient.

rated 1 of 5 on 3/5/2014 8:25:00 PM More reviews by preciousthings

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I only had to use this product once, and immediately broke out in little bumps all over my face. Im unsure why as my skin can tollerate aha/bha combo creams.
Waste of money for me. Isnt my only PC dissapointment.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/21/2014 6:16:00 PM More reviews by babyjane14

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Brown

I am now onto my second bottle so I feel I can finally give an honest and knowledgeable review on this product. A background on my skin, I have combination/oily, acne-prone and sensitive skin and this past year I developed moderate to severe acne which left me with hyper pigmentation marks as well as closed comedones. I was prescribed Accutane & Spironolactone which both have helped my hormonal acne a lot but this product was and is a miracle for my skin.

I initially started with a sample of the Extra strength formula and then moved on to this using it once or sometimes twice daily. Within the first week I noticed an improvement in the closed comedones all over my cheeks which are clogged pores from the cystic acne I was having. The first 2 weeks my skin did get worse before it got any better, meaning that even though my skin looked much more calm I did break out more than usual. After the second week it stopped and I was back to getting the usual 2-3 pimples a week and I also noticed that the pimples would heal faster.

Gradually over time my clogged pores have 95% cleared so my skin texture is pretty much back to normal. Break outs are usually in line with my time of the month now so I still do get the hormonal one or two but nothing like before which has amazed me.

The product itself is a clear liquid almost like a toner consistency. I apply some on to a cotton pad and swipe over my face after cleansing. The Regular strength formula leaves a shiny finish but its nothing uncomfortable. The extra strength version has a much more 'sticky' feeling afterwards in comparsion. At first I did get some dryness and flaking even with my usual moisturiser but when combined with Paula's Choice Hydralight lotion my skin had no dry patches apart from healing blemishes.

I really am impressed with this product and I definitely will continue to use this daily. For anyone experiencing acne or clogged pores I would thoroughly recommend this as a skin care item to help manage their skin. Skin care can't prevent hormonal acne but it helps to reduce congestion. It's not a cure but it sure is close for me!

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/20/2014 12:13:00 AM More reviews by Skytenshi

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I have been battling hormonal chin acne since 2008. The Clarifying Lotion #3 from Clinique had kept me clear for about a year and a half until Clinique decided to reformulate the product, and it no longer worked on me. Ever since then, I tried different salicylic acid products and nothing worked until I bought this product from Paula's Choice.

I first started using it in August 2013. For the first couple of months, the product caused some purging on my chin, which I controlled with a 2-month course of doxycycline (an oral antibiotic). My antibiotic course ended in October 2013, and for the past 3 months, I have continued to use this product on its own, and it has kept me substantially clear and reasonably happy. Apart from my cleanser and eye cream, this is the only product that I apply to my face. I use it twice a day, so I go through the product pretty quickly. I am now on my 7th bottle.

2 lippies off for price because of expensive shipment costs (I live in Japan and purchase from the US website).

Another 2 lippies off for packaging. Once opened, the bottle may leak when travelling.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/23/2013 5:41:00 PM More reviews by loveableqtpie212

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I used to be a fan of the 2% bha liquid, but the texture left something to be desired. I hated the way it felt slimy and heavy on my skin. I guess it was formulated that way to keep skin from drying out. Eventually I stopped using it and started looking for something else. When PC came out with the clear line, I immediately purchased the toner. I'd heard it had the texture of water, and it does! I swipe this on, and it feels like nothing, much more comfortable than the bha liquid. I've heard the Clear extra strength toner has the same texture as the bha liquid, so stay away if you're not a fan either. I've gone through multiple bottles of this toner, and can say it is an absolute HG. I am never with out this product. This is the secret to clear skin for me. When I first started using BHA toner, it took about a month and a half to start seeing full results. I use it almost every night. I would say a bottle lasts me 2-3 months with generous use.

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/16/2013 10:12:00 PM More reviews by aspiecutie

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

As a guy here on MuA, skincare is more important than makeup. And if I had to pick up a HG skincare item this would be the one. I can easily switch around other products in my routine, but I would literally be lost without this one.

For reference, I have sensitive combination-oily skin which can get easily dehydrated. That's why my moisturizers can't be anything less than a lotion, and I can't go overboard with BHAs because my skin get tight and starts flaking. It's true that an AHA would have been more beneficial for improving my skin's hydration level, but I'm better off with a BHA which keeps in check occasional break outs while helping maintain my pores clean.

The amazing thing about this product is the texture. Unlike the BHA Liquid or Extra Strength Toner it won't look oily and won't feel sticky. It has an almost tap-water consistency. It dries up right away and there's no need to wait for it to "sink in". And because it is not a cream or a gel, it will not unexpectedly balling up with your moisturizer/sunscreen.

It is also quite gentle for a 2% Salycilic Acid and for some people like me that's a great thing. Because it contains a gentler penetration enhancer like Dipropylene Glycol and the pH is only low enough to be effective, it is less likely to irritate sensitive skin and can easily be alternated with a stronger AHA product or used simultaneously with a prescription retinoid.

I was applying it twice a day regularly for some time. But I noticed I would get the same result applying it only once, in the morning, before sunscreen. As usual, with exfoliants it's better to stick with the lowest amount which is effective. Your skin will feel less tight and it will be better able to tolerate other ingredients with irritating properties, like prescription retinoids and serums containing a high percentage of Vitamin C.

Some people complain about the price compared to similar products in drugstore aisles. But when you consider the amount of product you get, it is just as cheap. It retails for $22 on the Paula's Choice website but there are often 25% off discounts on it. That's pretty good if they also happen to be offering free shipping.

Highly recommended

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 11/6/2013 1:51:00 PM More reviews by redmakeup

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Green

I use the Stridex pads and those work great on me. I got the regular strength one of this and it just doesn't seem to work as good. I also purchased the maximum strength so I will try out those ones, but I wasn't really impressed as my acne started to get a little worse while changing from Stridex to this. I do however love the fact that this doesn't contain menthol which the stupid Stridex ones do have.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/16/2013 7:20:00 PM More reviews by orderlyfashion

Age: Unknown Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Grey

I've gone through one full bottle of this and it's become part of my daily routine - I can't go without it! I'm in my 30s, with skin that's somewhat sensitive, oily t zone with enlarged pores on and around my nose, no blackheads & no acne problems other than a small spot now and again. I started using this and a week later noticed that my skin looked a little 'brighter' and more evenly toned. Then I fell off the wagon - was traveling and didn't bring any with me. After a week of disuse I noticed that my skin was duller just didn't look as good. I've since been using it every night for the past month or so. In addition to improvement in overall brightness and tone, it's helped to shrink my pores and (I think) has even slightly smoothed out some fine lines around my mouth. I still get the occasional pimple, but this helps to resolve them more quickly. For example, I recently got a couple of small bumps after an eyebrow wax, and this cleared them up completely in 2 days.

Admittedly this is the first chemical exfoliant I've used regularly, so can't compare to other products... but I'm satisfied with the results, and it hasn't caused any new problems, so don't see a need to move up to something stronger at the moment. It's well worth the cost and I'll continue to use it every day!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 10/10/2013 5:04:00 PM More reviews by CordulaM

I got this as a free sample from the gracious ladies at PC (I call and complain about my skin and they send me samples, ALL THE TIME.) and I think they knew it would be in their best interest. I had heard this was a favorite, and I can see why. First some back story: I've tried 8 PC exfoliants, which may be almost of them, and this is one of the best (the 5% Resist is probably my absolute favorite). I had tried all 3 of the Skin Perfecting BHA and the gel was my favorite but I was still getting little clogs. So I tried the liquid and INSTANTLY all these little bumps rose up and I was horrified. I returned it asap and didn't even want to use Salicylic acid again. But they told me that SA is your best bet for bumps and to try this. So they sent me the bottle and so I did. I have to say, I *may* have jumped the gun by returning the liquid BHA because this did the same; it made all the little bumps rise up. But instead, I extracted them (A huuuggeee no-no, usually ends in cysts a few days later) and rinsed off and put on a little more. I was majorly clogged and they weren't budging so I figured this is as far as they are coming out, I have to get them out on my own. Of course I was all red after, but this stuff really does help soothe the redness and so far no cysts (fingers crossed!!). I don't want to keep extracting, so if it continues to push up bumps I don't know how long I can deal with that, but if it was just a matter of getting the initial stuff out, and will keep me smooth from then on, I will continue with this. Will update, but thought I'd share that. If you get bumps, keep trying at least for a little and see if it helps. This is probably better than the Extra-strength/Skin perfecting liquid (imo at least).I also do use that 5% AHA at night.

Update: I'm sorry to say, but I've stopped using this. I kept feeling bumpy and a few of them grew into pimples (which is expected when I pop them). But the bumps didn't stop. I initially reviewed this after using it for a few days and kept going but I feel like when it doesn't work at first, it usually doesn't EVER work. A product has to be working 'ok' or at least not CAUSING and issue for me to continue to trust it. (That purging nonsense is just that to me, I never have gotten past that with any product that suddenly started to work, and I'm talking about stuff I used for years too). My skin isn't perfect, but I don't normally have THIS many hard bumps. I had it initially had this issue start with the BHA 9, and it didn't fully clear. My skin is better with just the AHA 5, so I'm taking this out, it's not helping. If anything, it's making it worse.