November 25, 2014 | 1750 users online

Sunscreen - Devita Solar Body Block 30

rated 4 of 5 on 7/1/2013 12:21:00 PM More reviews by anovice

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I think this might have been reformulated-- I use it on my face as my daily sunscreen under my makeup. I don't find it drying and I'd say I have somewhat dry skin. I don't think it does the BEST job of protecting me but I love the texture and the lack of any white cast. I've repurchased several times.

rated 1 of 5 on 6/28/2013 10:39:00 PM More reviews by denisiel

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Purchased two tubes of Body block SPF 30 - I like that it leaves no white cast. However, it is the most face drying zinc sunscreen I have ever tried and it causes my eyes to burn and water even though I don't use it on the eye area. Dries up my neck skin too.

I wore this sunscreen a few time outdoors just running errands with no prolonged sun exposure. Did not protect and my melasma returned. I applied double layers of this sunscreen and wore a hat. Never had any problems with my melasma coming back until this sunscreen. What took six months of effort with aggressive Obagi NuDerm to eradicate was wiped out in a few days by Devita Sunscreen. Incredibly frustrating.

I use this on my body only and will not repurchase. If you have melasma, stay away from Devita!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 12/23/2012 3:30:00 AM More reviews by scopingforyou

PROS: SPF 30 (but see cons). No irritating fragrance (very mild). NO OILY RESIDUE and not drying! That is so rare for a higher spf. I can barely tell I have anything on. Natural ingredients. Does not bother my rosacea/sensitive skin. Rare for an spf for me (even spf 15). Woo-hoo! No animal testing. No titanium dioxide or parabens or animal products. Light enough that I don't have to use anything special to remove it before cleansing. Does not clog my pores (no cones either). No white cast.

CONS: For those who want a good amount of moisture, you'll need to use a heavier moisturizer first. But if you do this, especially over anything that is oil-based, it may ball up on you. A reviewer mentioned this bothered their eye area. I don't put this near my eyes. I use Clarins Wrinkle Control Eye Sunscreen for that. I do not get good protection from this at all. If you need to rely on the protection, I'd test it on an arm or something first because it doesn't seem to protect much.

ALTERNATES: They have a face version that is a little more expensive, but it's more moisturizing and doesn't ball up at all (but the spf protection is questionable, like with this one). EDIT: NEVER MIND about the face version. I have been told by numerous people that the newly formulated face version balls up too.

Trader Joe's Enrich SPF15 is moisturizing but not greasy at all. When I need 30 or above, I use Hawaiaan Tropic's Silk Hydration or some name like that (but it can clog me if I use it for more than a few days in a row, so I only use it when I'm going to be in the sun a lot that day).

PURCHASING TIPS: You can get this cheaper at places like Vitacost.com

rated 3 of 5 on 9/1/2012 10:58:00 PM More reviews by lemonz4us

This product, should ideally be the body lotion of my dreams! it has lovely ingredients, 19% zinc oxide, and a my-skin-but-better feel. But sadly it's not. Lets get down to why..
First the formulation, for having only "natural" ingredients, this product is suspciously cosmetically elegant. I'm talking it absorbs into your skin instantly, leaves NO white cast, and no stickyness or tackiness. non-whatsoever. But it also has no tenacity, it doesnt stay on for sh** . don't get wet or sweat because this stuff will come off and there goes your sun protection. Speaking of sun protection i have a REALLLLY hard time believing this company's claim of 19& zinc oxide, thats a substantial amount. My coppertone water babies sunscreen has only 14.5 zinc compared to this, and the coppertone comes out as thick opaque, white cast-leaving cream that's a bit difficult to spread around. How does this product have 19% and look so beautiful with no silicones? I'm suspicious... my next gripe is the lavender essential oil. it's toxic to cells and causes cell death, especially in sunlight. enough said.. and the price, this lotion is almost 30 bucks at my health food store, it's just too pricey for me. if i thought it was worth buiying i'd shell out the money no problem but i just dont trust the SS content in here for some reason, especially since others have reported burning with this stuff on as well. and i have very sunlight-sensitive skin that i would very much like to protect. until i find something better, i'm sticking with the coppertone.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/3/2011 7:28:00 PM More reviews by muse97

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I am loving this. I am very fair, so I'm trying to get myself in the habit of wearing body sunscreen everyday. I usually don't, since most feel drying or greasy. This one feels like a nice lotion. I also love the one that this company makes for the face. Great products!

rated 4 of 5 on 8/19/2011 5:31:00 PM More reviews by Dancexnxthexrain

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

*I have not used this product yet.

After extensive hours of research on a natural/ chemical-free sunblock, I discovered Devita natural's line was the best option. I have yet to receive it in the mail, but one of the biggest concerns people have said to have is that they are getting burnt while wearing it. One of the most important things to know and remember about physical sunblocks, and not chemical sunscreens, is that they are a physical barrier between your skin and the sun. Many people complain about how white their skin can get from physical blocks or the residue it leaves behind (this is zinc that is showing) Much like MMU, it has to leave a residue so that barrier exists, which means applying a sufficient and generous amount of sunblock on your face is extremely important. Devita also says you should reapply every few hours and right after swimming. The recommended, generous amount by the American Academy of Dermatology 1 oz. (a full shot glass) for the body and 1/4 of a tsp's worth of sunblock should be applied to the face, and if you do not have a white cast than you are either using nano-sized zinc or you are not using enough. Note: your face does not need to be ghostly white, but it should have some kind of sign zinc is on your skin protecting it from the sun.

rated 1 of 5 on 5/18/2011 3:23:00 AM More reviews by LeJaide

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Green

After reading about how dangerous many sunscreens are on the market and are causing cancer, yes 'causing' skin cancer I scouted this sunscreen out on EWG's website for safe sunscreens. I've liked it fine and a friend started using it too and likes it a lot too.

But... now that I read a couple other reviews stating that they burned or got colour?! with it I am on the search again. Super bummed. Especially, since I've been using retina a / aha 10% at night so the last thing one wants is to be exposed to the sun. I'm soo mad!

I was going to give this 5 stars because of how it seemed to work for me and my friend but now I think it should have a zero. :(

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/28/2011 9:02:00 PM More reviews by glitteralex

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I was lucky enough to get a barely used tester as from my Whole Foods SA since they were out and I wanted to buy one...even if I had to pay, $26 for 6oz is a veritable bargain for the ingredients. I compared it side by side to the facial version, and the only difference I could see was that the face formula was ever so slightly thicker.

While I very much like the idea of pairing antioxidants with a sunblock, I wonder about adding Retinol, which makes one more sensitive to the sun and is suggested only for night use. I read on one of the other reviews that the Retinol in the product is claimed to be from seaweed...so not sure if it has the same warning about use during daylight. Also, I am a bit cautious about using something without Titanium Diozide, as it has protected me well (and looked ghostly) over the years. But, we shall see. I'll give it a try on my body first before risking my hyperpigmentation prone facial skin.

The consistency is very nice, and it dries to a light matte finish...this is one all natural product I will be able to get hubby (wants unscented and no grease whatsoever) and daughter (no whiteness or grease) to use. I would use it on my face only over moisturizer and under foundation as it is a bit dry for me.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/31/2011 2:19:00 PM More reviews by tapasnut

Chemical sunscreens tend to irritate my eyes, so I'm always on the lookout for a great physical sunblock. I've been using this product for a about a month and so far I really like it as a everyday sunblock. I initially purchased it to use on my body, but read some reviews that said it was great for face as well. So far, I'm really liking it for both. It has a creamy, easy to apply texture--no whitish case whatsoever and no pilling. It is nowhere near as shiny as other sunscreens/blocks, but isn't perfectly matte once applied either. Still, any shiny is easy to handle with a primer, foundation or powder applied over the sunblock.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/9/2011 10:58:00 PM More reviews by integritybites

I would purchase this again as a light body moisturiser but I'm not sure of it's efficacy as a sunscreen, because it's NOT waterproof/sweat resistant. I had this on and have gone to gym classes or a jog round the block and could feel it slipping off my skin. Not a pleasant feeling.

The other issue I'm not too happy about is having Vitamin A in the ingredients. I've emailed Devita and they claim that the Vitamin A is from bio-engineered seaweed and they don't agree with EWG's findings. With all due respect, I can accept their differing opinion, but feel that when there is some reasonable doubt, it might be easier to remove the ingredient from the list. It would even bring down the production cost and honestly, I doubt if Vit A is such a deal maker in the product.

But having gotten my complaint out of the way, love the other ingredients in the lotion, it gets absorbed very quickly by my skin, great tube and the price is ok if you get it from online discount stores. Hardly any scent.

However, the fact that this comes off quite easily when you perspire and having vitamin A in the formulation, would strike this off as a repeat purchase for SPF body protection. Although I would still get it as a night moisturiser, if you don't have dry skin.