July 29, 2014 | 1907 users online

Loose Powders - Everyday Minerals - Kaolin Powder

rated 5 of 5 on 8/7/2011 6:40:00 PM More reviews by chslator

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

My secret weapon in the summer, when the humidity turns my combo skin into an oil slick by mid-morning. I use a big fluffy brush to dust this all over my face as a primer before applying my EDM semi-matte base. I do the rest of my makeup and it stays put through the yucky weather. If I happen to get a little greasy, I puff on a tiny bit of this stuff and it zaps it away completely.

I use the sunlight color because the slight yellowness neutralizes any heat-induced ruddiness in my fair complexion.

It is also great as an eyeshadow base when patted on directly with a finger.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/20/2010 8:35:00 AM More reviews by heathermrm

I purchased Kaolin Powder Finishing Powder in Fair. EM has this product listed under their finishing powders, anti-shine.

To give you an idea of my skincolor (I have never worn MAC, so can't compare), in the fall/winter, I can wear Linen, Fairly Light Neutral, Buff. I wear darker colors in spring/summer to obtain the look of a tan w/out actually getting one AND so my face matches the rest of my body that I slather w/ a self-tanner.

This oil absorbing product works well on my T-zone - for EM folks looking for some extra oil absorption and have a light complexion, this should work well. If you are light to medium or darker, I would suggest EM Kaolin Powder in Soft Bronze (see my review).

I definitely will be re-purchasing this.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/14/2010 11:54:00 PM More reviews by KLC101790

I have a love hate relationship with this product and can't decide if I like it.. My skin gets flakey because of the Retin-A I am on (which acts as a cream exfoliate and constantly makes my dead skin cells shed) At the same time, my skin tends to get oily in the warm temperatures from putting the heater on, and I hate that greasy feeling so I got a sample of this in the soft bronze kaolin powder. In the beginning things were looking good, as the day wore on, I still had to wipe my face with oil blotters or a tissue and then at the end of the day I noticed all the flakey peeling going on on my face and immediately washed it It was gross. I will try this product again when I am over the inital break out/ flaky period of Retin-A treatment, which usually takes a month or two.. But for now, I think the finishing powder is less drying and obvious.. but even with the finishing powder, my face still feels yucky.. but I am biased because of the Retin-A .. I'm sure that when my skin clears I'll be gung-ho about everyday minerals. Right now it's hard to look past the breakouts and flakiness associated with the first month of retin-a treatment...

rated 3 of 5 on 3/14/2010 1:51:00 PM More reviews by neko90

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Other Eyes: Black

This product didn't do anything for me; plus it couldn't control shine for very long. Perhaps it's due to the humid climate here. Thankfully I got the sample instead of committing to a full sized one.
On the bright side, it doesn't make my skin break out or clogs my pores.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/24/2010 10:54:00 AM More reviews by mangoekiwi

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Black

I bought Kaolin Powder in Sunlight. The good thing about it is that the colour matches my skin tone perfectly and gives my face a soft, matte finish after applying. You can't even tell that I have powder on my skin. That's what I love about this product.

What I DON'T like about it is that it doesn't control shine nor help my makeup last longer. During the first few times i used it, i was disappointed to find that my face was really shiny at the end of the day. That said, i have oily skin and live in hot and humid weather.

I wouldn't buy this again. I have now switched to using silica powder that i bought from coastal scents, and it is so much better (and cheaper).

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/23/2010 7:12:00 PM More reviews by Reservechic

Where I live it is unbelievably hot and humid here almost all year round. So, the usage of a finishing powder is a must for me. As, I have combination-to-oily skin, and at times my skin produces quite a lot of oil.

I have the Kaolin Powder in Soft Bronze. I don't know why, they call it bronze, becasue it is not a true bronze color to it at all. Instead, it has a light beige color. So, the name of the product will mislead people to think that the powder is actually darker than it really is.

This powder controls oil well on my face. I may have to do a touchup or two, on those hot Summer days, but other than during the Summer Season, touchups with this product are a minimum.

EDM is now phasing in the ingredient Lauroyl Lysine into their powders (finishing, foundation, blushes, etc.). The Kaolin powder that I stocked up on has the following ingredients (and not Lauroyl Lysine) in it:

Kaolin Clay, Mica, Magnesium Stereate, Iron Oxides.

Lauroyl Lysine is designed to give the products a smoothier, silkier feel to them. When I use up my stash of Kaolin products, I may/may not use try this new version. Only time will tell.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 1/19/2010 1:52:00 PM More reviews by wiseowl

For some reason, this powder just didn't do much of anything for me. Didn't really set my makeup and EM's natural reflections seems to blend in better for me. However, and this is odd, the kaolin powder wasn't as drying as the finishing dust was on me--pretty strange, considering I have enough experience with clay-based products to attest to their usual drying power. Like I said with my other EM powder review, get their sample versions of their powders before you committ to one.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/27/2009 9:37:00 PM More reviews by secondadonna

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

My default finishing powder, with regular and mineral makeup. Much sheerer and less cakey than any other powder I've tried, with better shine control and a more natural finish. And cheap! The Fair shade works perfectly for me.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/21/2009 10:38:00 PM More reviews by birdyb

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I bought the sunlight kaolin powder this summer/spring and LOVED it. I just ran out (after using it every day) and bought the large jar. Even though it looks yellow, it goes on sheer and "corrects" any redness that your concealer/foundation didn't get. I use the semi-matte foundation but kept getting shiny. The kaolin powder solved my problems without clogging my pores. I'm a big fan of this and EDM in general.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/16/2009 3:02:00 PM More reviews by loverofmineralmakeup

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Other, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Coarse Eyes: Brown

This product has been a lifesaver for it has improved the lasting power of my eye makeup and it's a wonderful primer for mineral foundation. I have a extremely oil lids (think oil slick) so no matter what I did prior to finding and using this product, my eyeshadows would fade but not now. I brush the Kaolin Powder on my face and eyelid, prime my eye with Smashbox Anti-Shine, brush on more Kaolin Powder, apply my eyeshadow base, and then apply my eyeshadows. Needless to say, this process has a lot of steps and is kind of time consuming but my eyeshadows do not budge and I can wear them for 16 hours straight and there is absolutely no fading or creasing.

I love this powder and if you have need to reduce the oilies on your skin, I would highly recommend this product as a viable option.