September 20, 2014 | 1781 users online

Eye Shadow - E.L.F. - Studio Single Eyeshadow Charcoal

• Price: $

rated 1 of 5 on 10/28/2012 11:24:00 PM More reviews by samanthurrrrr

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

What I've noticed about ELF eyeshadows: they differ by shades, and you either love them or hate them. This particular shade, Charcoal, is absolutely terrible with or without primer. It gets everywhere throughout the day even if you know what you are doing and you know how to set your shadow...it doesn't really matter when you are wearing this charcoal bullshit. If you want to get a studio single eyeshadow shade, try Wild Wheat, Butter Cream, or Coffee Bean--those three are great! However, the Charcoal is terrible.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/1/2010 6:19:00 PM More reviews by dancer14927

I bought this to use it as an e/l, but, it wasn't as pigmented as I expected, and had a LOT more glitter than I expected. So, I never ended up using it as an e/l. It really just shows up more grey than black when I try to line my eyes with it.
In the times I've used it as an all over wash, its been all right. Not amazing, but not horrible. When you apply it as an all over wash, or really as something more than just liner, you really see the glitter. It's just very obvious and not what I was looking for in a charcoal e/s. Without primer, this shade shows up as a grey on my slightly oily lids. With primer, it does show up closer to black, but in my opinion, buying a better pigmented product is more worth it.
I'd say if you want to buy a product that you can use for all over washes or anything that would take up more lid space than e/l, don't waste your money on this product and find a cheap black liner instead.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 7/1/2010 5:41:00 PM More reviews by PaperAlias

I'm a fan of many of ELF's products, so I had high hopes for this eyeshadow. Unfortunately for me, it just didn't deliver as well.

I was expecting a very dark shimmery smoky black. The shadow is indeed quite shimmery, however, I found the pigmentation to be very poor. I wasn't expecting a "true" black, since it's called "Charcoal," but the shade looked more dark grayish on my medium-fair skin.

This sells for $3. I own one of ELF's $1 eyeshadow quads, and even that cheaper quad had better pigmentation than this single eyeshadow.

The only thing I really l iked about this shadow was the packaging. ELF Studio packaging is quite nice; sturdy black matte plastic compact with a little window on the top cover. Unfortunately, this just isn't enough for me to want to repurchase this. I'll be using the rest of it though, to set black eyeliner.

rated 2 of 5 on 3/18/2010 9:34:00 PM More reviews by lolgirl123

I did not like this. The texture is chalky and not soft whatsoever. The pigment is poor and blending the shadow is a nightmare! The only use I see for this is to set black eyeliner.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/16/2010 12:14:00 PM More reviews by RhinestoneBeauty

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I actually have this in every color, and I love how pigmented they are. There isn't a wide range of colors, but the ones in the line are nice. When applying these shadows, I don't have much problem with fallout. And for $3 there is PLENTY of product here. The packaging is nice, with a little window so you can see the color, and no sponge tip applicator, because I would just end up throwing that away. Overall these are great shadows for a great price, just wanting more colors!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/11/2010 1:37:00 PM More reviews by ChildOfTheMoon

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I did not expect to be wowed but... just.. wow... Ok, first of all this is a soft, matte black, that isn't terribly pigmented. Upon first application all you get is softest black/dark gray smoke. Apply more and the color goes deeper, with some _extremely_ subtle shimmer. As far from pinch black goth e/s as it can get. But it's possible to build up more colour or take a short cut and use a wet brush. But I'm not looking for rich color here. I have Urban Decay's black shadows (Zero, Oil Slick, Perversion) and turn to those for more drama, but what I like about this particular shade is that it's so incredibly soft and smoky. It blends easily and isn't chalky at all. I apply it with the C brush (also by ELF) and lo and behold: an effortless/daytime smoky eye in a matter of few minutes. :)) I also love how this e/s doesn't result in any fallout. Amazing. The packaging is beautiful, very sleek with a (totally unexpected!) mirror inside. And the price is,,, well, unbelievable.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 10/15/2009 8:56:00 PM More reviews by honeydovey

Not a bad product for 3 bucks. The consistency of the eyeshadow is quite soft and smooth but it's a bit hard to blend. I find the staying power is not too bad either by using base. The only thing I don't like too much about it, is that it creases after a few hours. The color comes out more matte and a bit of shimmery sparkles that you don't really see much of. Overall, love the packaging! But not enough to buy it again.

rated 3 of 5 on 9/2/2009 5:25:00 AM More reviews by Yum3ji

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I purchased a 0.097 oz/2.75 g E.L.F. Studio Single Eyeshadow in Charcoal during E.L.F.'s 75% off Studio line sale (retails $3.00). The colour is less blue and more grey than the image on the E.L.F. website. There is clear plastic on the lid which makes it easier to find colours without having to open the compact. In addition, this compact does not include an applicator, but a small rectangle mirror embedded into the underside of the lid.

PRODUCT INFORMATION: Beautiful soft texture that melts into the skin for a vibrant color that lasts. Convenient and easy to apply, just layer the color to achieve the desired intensity. Apply wet or dry for a fabulous look that never creases or fades.

DIRECTIONS: Blend color onto eyelid with an eyeshadow brush, layer on color for desired intensity. Apply dry for a more subtle look or wet for a dramatic look and a longer wear.