Maybelline Color Sensational - 115 Pink Quartz

4.1

on 6/17/2014 3:20:00 PM

A long time ago I purchased a Maybelline Forever Metallics lipstick in "Pink Zinc", which came in a shiny, slim round lavender tube. Pink Zinc was a nude variant a pale baby pink base with a frosty gold overtone. It made for a fun summer look if applied lightly to minimize the frostiness. Better yet, it wore nearly as long as the extra-lasting and overlast lippies by CoverGirl and Revlon minus the balling up in an unattractive, flaky fashion. Unfortunately, Maybelline's Forever Metallics suffered from a horrendous chemical odor that all these years later remains fully intact (I recently rediscovered one in my stash).

By accident I typed in the wrong color name on a search and came up with Maybelline's Pink Quartz instead of Pink Zinc. Naturally, I had to try it when a reviewer noted a gold finish to a mauve-pink base. I had high hopes Pink Quartz would be a dupe for Wet 'n Wild Silk Finish Lipstick in "Dark Pink Frost". As expected, Maybelline's Color Sensational Lipstick in Pink Quartz wears longer than Wet 'N Wild's product and it smells a whole heck of a lot better too a bit like powdered sugar. Unfortunately, Pink Quartz is no dupe for Wet 'N Wild's #502A high-end look or feel. Wet 'n Wild's Dark Pink Frost goes on super silky, like a department store lipstick, and the gold imparts a noticeable but not OTT gold luster that ventures into HG territory for me.

The lilac tone to Wet 'n Wild's Dark Pink Frost imparts a healthy look whereas Pink Quartz is decidedly more ashen without enough of a pink or gold tone to liven the color up appreciably. On cool-skinned gals this shade might flatter but against my skin tone the prominent dusty, lavender tone to Pink Quartz resembles an unattractive state of oxygen deprivation on my lips. :0( A few years ago gold-finish lipsticks and glosses were all over the place but today most lipsticks and glosses that have any shimmer whatsoever have reverted to the more pedestrian cool whites, silvers and multicolored glitters that have been around for decades.

To the manufacturer I would say: Good try, Maybelline. But please don't let Pink Quartz be your best and most recent attempt to offer a gold shimmer lipstick. An improved color selection could attract a loyal following among those of us who have tired of mattes but aren't flattered by the look of cool, silvery frosts.

It's a beautiful lipcolor, for sure, but it's got a few drawbacks.
Buying this on sale, I wasn't expecting too much; however, I was pleasantly surprised. The color itself is absolutely beautiful; this is one of those "your lips but better" lipsticks. Its base color is almost exactly like natural lips, except maybe with a tad more mauve; the kicker is the golden sheen that it brings to your lips. Upon close inspection, you can see the fine golden glitter inside the lipstick; however, it doesn't show up as glittery, and gives my lips a gorgeous finish.
I have uploaded a photo of this color on my lips- it's a non-flash photo of lips that's slightly crooked to the side.
The issues that I've had with this lipsticks all have to do with its texture. The Pink Quartz that I own is very dry. It does not glide as smoothly as I would like onto my lips; in the winter, it practically freezes and doesn't budge. I've also experienced a slight grainy sensation when I put this on, which is probably from the golden glitter. On my lips, the color feels slightly sticky, but not very heavy.
Yet, staying power of this lipstick rocks. It may rub off some, but the essence of the color will remain on your lips for a long time. I found that reapplying this lipstick often is necessary in order to keep it looking fresh.
The smell and taste are distinctly artificial, and ingesting it accidentally won't leave such a pleasant taste in your mouth.
Rose Quartz's packaging is absolutely beautiful; the translucent pink cap and the silver tube are very sleek and appealing. Also, this product is relatively cheap, being only $6 or $7. Overall, I absolutely love the color, but the rest of this lipstick is a bit of a dud; if I can find a less dry one next time, I will repurchase.

on 4/15/2013 8:59:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

My lips but shimmery! 6$ on sale in Canada. Packaging is a bit too loose compared to the others I purchased in that line

on 12/9/2011 5:26:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

I got this as a freebie as part of a makeup order online, so it was unexpected! I like the colour, it's pretty much exactly my natural lip colour which is great. Unfortunately, I don't like the frost factor. If it were matte or glossy with no frost, this would get an extra lippy from me. It's fairly moist and applies nicely though and because I got it for free, I'm not complaining! I can just apply a gloss over the top to disguise the frost :)

on 11/7/2011 9:09:00 PM

As a lipstick fanatic, Ive easily learned not to discriminate over brand. If a colour is great, it doesn't matter if its high end or a cheapie. This colour is "sensational" but, the smell of the sensational series is terrible. It smells off before even going off. A really annoying smell thus taste on your lips too. A pinky nude with pigment and the tiniesst gold fleck great for light skin, but horrible smell and taste to it.

on 1/29/2011 7:53:00 PM

i loooooooove this lipstick. IMO, this is an identical dupe of MAC Viva Glam V, but better!!!

It's a nude/pink with gold sparkle and super moisturizing.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

This is a gorgeous and complex pink. It is a little bit mauve, a little bit tawny and has lots of gold sparkles in it. If you don't like sparkle I'd stay away from Pink Quartz. I love this color, and I agree it is much more wearable than it looks it the tube. I have had a hard time finding colors in the CS line that are wearable on my fair skin tone, but this one works. If you are familiar with the NYX eyeshadow single in Flamingo, this is the lipstick version of that color (I plan on wearing these together a lot). It is a very summery, sexy pink. The only complaint I have about this color is that the gold sparkles tend to travel a bit. But aside from that I love this color and it will be a go to in the warmer months.

I really love this lipstick. It actually looks very similar to one of my favorite lipsticks, Wet n Wild Silk Finish 502A (dark pink frost). Pink Quartz is very similar but better, in my opinion. Pink Quartz is a medium mauve, not really pink, with gorgeous golden shimmer. It really reminds me of MAC frost lipsticks but so much cheaper! I can buy like 3 of these for the price of 1 MAC (although I love MAC, don't get me wrong). It does have a tinge of lavender to it, but it is beautiful on my pale skin and very wearable for everyday. The texture is so smooth and light, almost like lip balm. And it smells faintly of vanilla, very pleasant. I also like the packaging, the sheer maroon case is pretty. This was my first ever CS lipstick and I love it, best part is it cost me less than $5 at Walmart. I'm thinking I just found my new favorite lipstick brand. :)

on 11/18/2010 2:02:00 PM

the pics posted here totally misleading because it looks nothing like that in real life. This is medium mauve with golden shimmer that has a distinctive purple tone to it. On your lips, it does looks bit more wearable and not really purple but medium mauve with definate lavender tone. This is not pink(even though it looks pink on these pictures but swatched on my hand, its straight up purplish mauve). I think it looks rather subdued and natural(surprisincly) which is not the look i usually go for however i can see this looking good on variety of skintones. this is not a repurchase for me because i like colors in the pink family better and this is nowhere near that. For reference, i'm cool toned PPP, dark hair, blue eyes

on 2/7/2010 11:56:00 PM