September 23, 2014 | 1512 users online

Polishes - Orly - Pixie Dust

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/20/2011 3:24:00 AM More reviews by pinkfrost52

This is a very unique colour. I think it was released back in their 'Once Upon A Time' collection? It is a milky medium blue with some slight grey undertones and is slightly pastel. It has a very slight shimmer in a creme base. I think the name 'Pixie Dust' is quite appropriate because of the little specks of shimmer seen in this shade. I think this is a shade best for lighter skin-tones in my opinion because when I wear this shade when I'm more tan it doesn't seem to look right.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/29/2010 5:18:00 AM More reviews by mudpie1964

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Orly's Pixie Dust is a medium dove gray polish with a semi-glass-fleck finish and very slight blue undertones. Under certain lighting the finish does look like "pixie dust." Also, depending on lighting, the color sometimes has very slight lavender undertones. While this is a pretty color and looks pretty good on my light skin with slight yellow undertones, I'm not totally loving it on me. As to the application: Another reviewer likened it to a "jelly-creme" and I would agree with that. However, the application, itself, was very streaky and took three coats to total opacity. Even at three coats there were still some slight streak patches. Drying time was extremely slow between coats (tacky at eight minutes) but with SV over the whole mani it did finally dry well. Without a topcoat, the finish was not as shiny as I would have liked but the SV did help that. All in all, I don't believe I would buy this one again.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/13/2010 12:38:00 AM More reviews by Kabuk1

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I guess I'm the odd one out here, cause I was just not crazy about this one. I've been lemming it for months & when I finally got my hands on it(or, got it on my hands, haha), I was underwhelmed. I thought it'd be bluer but it was just... grey. And grey polish does nothing for me. It's not UGLY, it's just kinda... meh. It was also very, very sheer & streaky. I needed 4 coats for bottle color(coulda used a 5th honestly), and it subsequently never dried & my mani suffered plenty of 'battle scars'. I'm thinking about adding a couple drops of dark blue polish to un-grey this one so it won't just sit in my polish box forever.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/23/2010 4:08:00 PM More reviews by alicia2kate

Pixie Dust is one of the six polishes in the Orly Once Upon A Time Collection released in Fall 2009.
This is the one of the two gray-based colors in the collection. (The other is Mirror Mirror, a dove gray creme.) Pixie Dust is a blue-leaning gray, sometimes lilac-ish in certain lighting, with glass/clear flecks and silvery shimmer. Very sparkly without being glittery like some polishes can be.
The application was a little sheer so 3 coats worked best for me. The actual texture was just right, not too lumpy or thick.
I wore this for 5 days (longer than usual) and it didn't chip at all. Due to its light color, the tip wear wasn't very visible at Day 3 so I decided to leave it for longer.
While I love everything about the bottle, color, application, and wear ... the removal wasn't the easiest. It might be similar to a light coat of glitter. It was more difficult than shimmers or holos to remove, but easier than chunky glitter.
(Orly is Big 3 Free and No Formaldehyde Resin.)
I would re-purchase if I lost this or if I ran out. =)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/21/2010 9:24:00 PM More reviews by jiney17

Lovely color. It's a cloudy dove blue, more periwinkle than gray. The formula is a jelly-creme (does that exist?) flecked with fine glass and silver shimmer, which gives it a subdued sparkle. The name is really appropriate. Good coverage with two coats. The bottles are well-designed with rubber caps that make them easy to grip. Price-wise, they're very reasonable--cheaper than cheaper than Essies and some Sally Hansen polishes. I really love this color and would definitely repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/20/2009 10:48:00 AM More reviews by UltraPremiumDeluxe

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I love this! I am loving gray polishes right now, usually cremes but this one is exceptional. It is a blue-gray color with clear flecks in it, and it does look ethereal. The only down side is that it took 3 coats and consequently a long time to dry. I though this would be too similar to Mirror Mirror, which is a light gray creme from the same collection, but they're very different and I love them both.

This polish also has a surprise: in certain lighting it turns a true lilac!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/29/2009 12:19:00 PM More reviews by juicycouture

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

pixie dust is a slate gray with white glass-like flecks and micro-glitter. a totally unique and gorgeous color. application was great. the rubberized handle is easy to work with and the brush performed beautifully. the formula was good, not too thin or thick. requires 3 coats for opacity. last for the typical 4+ days my manicures normally last for [before i get bored and change them]. i used revlon fast dry base coat and barielle manicure extender.
the bottle contains .6 fl oz/18 mL, which is a little bit more than the typical 15 mL. the orly brand retails for $5.99 at sally's but can be purchased for less at various e-tailors/online for about half the price. pixie dust is part of the once upon a time collection for fall 2009. though the collection is available at sally's it only has 4 of the six nail polishes. unfortunately, it excludes pixie dust and mirror mirror [light gray cream], so i had to purchase mine online. it was totally worth it though, especially if you make a fairly large order to offset the the s&h. orly is big 3 free [contains no formaldehyde, toluene or dibutyl phthalate].