November 27, 2014 | 1562 users online

Hair Styling Tools - Conair - Infiniti Instant Heat Ceramic Straightener

• Price: $

rated 1 of 5 on 8/21/2012 12:48:00 AM More reviews by bittersweet_emily

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Blue

I have been a GHD user for 6 years, when I bought this as an emergency iron (my GHD doesn't work with US voltage) it completely ruined my hair, the ends were dry and frazzled and breaking off everywhere, I made the mistake of using it on my hair extensions and they are now ruined. To make matters worse, I was in a rush to work and it wouldn't turn on, it broke after ONE week.

An absolute joke, do not purchase!! I now have to give my hair a good trim just do get rid of the damage it did after one use!

rated 4 of 5 on 12/21/2009 3:57:00 PM More reviews by deretsun

I was going to go for the CHI but I decided I didn't want to blow that much money on a straightener. I've used my friend's CHI and this works just as well as the CHI. The only problem I have with it is that it snags my hair, but it's not too bad.

rated 3 of 5 on 11/9/2009 5:51:00 PM More reviews by PassatPatty

I used to love this flat iron. I've had it for 3 years and never complained about it. On the contrary, I would recommend it to friends whenever they needed a flat iron. And then I realized something....

I have very fine, curly hair, and as you know, those with naturally curly hair usually hate it. So you can imagine how happy I was when ceramic flat irons came out. Anyway, back to the iron. I recently moved from home, where my bathroom was a dark color. Now my BF and I have moved in together, and the bathroom is all white. You can imagine my horror when I realized that the iron was snagging my hair and leaving short strands of hair whenever I passed the iron through it. Yes, I do take some responsibility, maybe my hair is damaged somewhat, which is common in fine curly heads. But this was crazy. My hair does not break when I blow dry it straight, so why is this iron killing my hair? I went out and bought an FHI to experiment between the 2 irons. I split my hair down the middle, and proceeded to straighten my hair using the two irons, one on each side. Lo and behold, the Conair snagged my hair multiple times and left like 10 stray hairs in the sink. The FHI did not snag any hair. I must say in the defense of the Conair though, my hair was much straighter and sleeker looking on the Conair side than on the FHI side.

My scientific method may not have been perfect, but this was the closest it was going to get in my bathroom. So therefore my recommendation is as follows:

If you have fine, curly hair, do not use this iron. If you have a thicker type of hair, I'm sure this will be a fantastic iron for you. It straightens wonderfully. I, unfortunately, continue to search for the perfect iron, as I am not fully convinced of the FHI's ability to straighten my hair.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/27/2009 11:58:00 AM More reviews by krumrill

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Please note that this is a review for the Conair Infiniti with solid ceramic plates, NOT tourmaline ceramic or coated ceramic plates. From what I understand, tourmaline ceramic is better at eliminating frizz and adding shine, however solid ceramic distributes heat evenly and is better for maintaining a set temperature (please correct me if I'm wrong, by no means am I professional, I've only done a little research lol). I bought this flat iron a few years ago and fell in love. It works significantly better than previous straighteners I used, both by Conair. The Infiniti heats up to 395 degrees (F) very quickly. I've never actually timed it, but I can almost guarantee it's within 30 seconds. My hair is fairly thick, wavy, a little frizzy, and poofy. It's not unmanageable, but it takes a lot of work to get it to look nice. I section it by top, middle, and bottom, and start straightening from the bottom up. I work with small portions of hair and normally only have to go over it once for it to be completely straight. Once I'm done with a section, I go over the ends again to smooth them out and keep them straight. Within 20/30 minutes, my hair is pin straight and super smooth. No frizz, no poofy volume, no waves. And the best part is that it STAYS that way. It doesn't become wavy at the ends halfway through the day, I can even sleep on it and it stays pin straight. I did take off one lippie because this snags my hair a lot. I can't use this on fragile sections of hair without it ripping them all out. This is by no means a quick flat iron if you have hair like mine. It takes time and effort, but the results pay off. This is a great iron for the price, and I'd 100% recommend it to anyone looking for a cheaper alternative to salon qualiity straighteners. I paid around $44.99, but since then the price has went down to $32.99. I've had mine for three years and it's still working well, never had a problem, so it's totally worth the investment.