Essie Angora Cardi

4.1

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

I had such high hopes for Essie Angora Cardi but I was left feeling rather underwhelmed. The colour in the bottle looks pretty, a deep dusky rose colour, but on my nails it pulls a bit darker and turns into a somewhat basic maroon-mauve colour, in some lights looking quite brown. It applied easily, opaque in one coat (though you should always wear two for extra strength) and dried quickly. The formula was very easy to work with. However, this polish seemed to chip very easily, much more than all of my other Essie polishes have. This was annoying and disappointing. The chipping issue, and the way the colour pulled on me, are my reasons for the low score.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I was obsessed with this shade for a long time because it's just such a beautiful plum colour. I have the same problem with this as I have with Geranium, it chips after a few days of application. However, the application itself is really great with amazing coverage and it's not too clumpy or runny. It's a lovely deep colour that really works well with my skin tone and so I love it.

I was expecting a mauve color but upon application I was surprised to see a dark purple color. The color is still nice but just not what I was looking for. Unfortunate because the color in the bottle really is pretty. It chipped pretty quickly by day 3 which was a bit of a disappointment but the formula actually seemed great. Not too clumpy nor too runny so I don't really know what happened. An okay polish but I would not repurchase.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

This color chips quickly on me. It only lasts one or two days. However, the color is still one of my go-to's because it works beautifully with a Soft Summer palette.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

This is a beautiful deep rose color that leans more dusty purple. It's darker on the nail than in the bottle, so be aware. This isn't a unique color by any means, but it's very classy.

Opaque in two coats and is very modern and grown up.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

This is a gorgeous fall color. It's a dark muted purplish-wine color that applies beautifully. I usually avoid darker shades because I'm a sloppy nail painter and lazy about touching up chips. However, this looks really pretty and was worth the extra effort!

Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium

This color dried so much darker on my nails than it appears in the bottle. It appears like a neutral-cool dusty mauve-rose, but dries a very dusty deep brown mauve. I was hoping for a good fall neutral color, but this looks too brown and dark on my nails to be a good neutral for my skin tone. The more I get into make up and beauty, the picker I am about finding flattering colors. This did not fit the bill for me.

As far as formulas go, this is very good. A nice cream formula from Essie, did not chip on me quickly. Wore well.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Believe it or not, I bought this trying to find a higher quality dupe of the discount brand Pure Ice's color Rumors. I absolutely adore that color but the quality is such that it chips within hours on my fingers so it remains a toe polish. This color ends up being a quite a bit darker and more purple than Rumors. While it is not the color I wanted, it is a gorgeous color in its own right. The application was smooth, what I've come to expect with Essie polishes; it's definitely a great fall/winter color.

Essie Angora Cardi applied very easily, streak free and not too watery. I'm in the minority that I didn't find it brown enough. On me it's just a pure purple plum, it's a pretty plum but I'm not so into purple. One coat gave enough coverage and had more red in it and the second coat changed the look to make it much darker looking and more purple. If that second coat goes on too thick I could see why people were getting darker results than the color in the bottle. I think a light hand works better with this polish, two thin coats to match the color in the bottle. If I were a purple lover I'd keep this but alas I'm just not such a purple fan. I'm going to give this to my friend who gets pedis with this shade. After finishing this manicure I wished I could just start over again with either something way darker like Wicked or way lighter, I'm just not into a medium dark color, I'm more into extremes with the exception of Glamour Purse, the perfect medium taupe.

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

When I bought this I instantly regretted it. I was having a hard time deciding between this color and essie's "in stitches". Once I left the store, I really wished I would have bought in stitches. I decided to give it a try anyways... I painted my nails when I got home and I instantly fell in love! It's the most interesting color and the formula is perfect. One coat is almost perfectly opaque and not streaky at all. I really like this color and can't wait to wear it in the fall!!

Top Rated Essie Products