August 31, 2014 | 1258 users online

Hair Color - Herbatint - Permanent Haircolour Gel in 10N Platinum Blonde

rated 5 of 5 on 8/7/2012 8:19:00 AM More reviews by megabyte2

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I have been using Herbatint for many, many years and absolutely love it. I have not tried Platinum Blonde but I am thinking of it. At the moment, I mix 3 colors: 6N, 8N & 7C equally and only use 15ml of the mix at a time on my short grey hair so my mix lasts a very long time. *If you do mix colors, do not mix it with the Glycol developer until you are ready to do your hair.
Everyone thinks this is my natural color and always has, but I do color it every 3 weeks so my roots never show. Because my hair is so grey, I am going to go lighter so I will not have to do it so often. I think I will do it slowly though so it is not so obvious. Anyone who is thinking of using Herbatint should read all of the instructions and advice on the web and also call their helpline just to make sure you do not make a mistake. I did not listen to their advice and on my first attempt made my hair way too dark and it took a long time to lighten because their light colors do not 'bleach' like you are used to. As they say on the web " Choose a colour two or three shades lighter than your natural tone!"

Also, I LOVE the fact that it does not have a scent and I also LOVE their Intensive Aloe Vera Shampoo and Conditioner!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/25/2009 2:18:00 PM More reviews by canadiancutie

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

This is a great alternative for anyone who wants to dye their hair, but would like to avoid the chemicals found in regular hair dyes. The Herbatint brand is free from ammonia and parabens, contains less peroxide and contains many natural ingredients. Many "natural" hair colour products are temporary dyes, but the nice thing about this one is that it is permanent. It is also available in 30 different colours.
I chose Shade 10N (Platinum Blonde) and I am very pleased with the results. It lightens just as well as the chemical dyes I have used in the past. It did not turn my hair quite as light as the picture on the box, but this is a good thing because her hair looked almost grey! Don't be scared of the picture on the box, there is nothing grey about the way my hair turned out. My natural colour is medium-dark blonde, and my hair turned out a lovely shade of light blonde.
The only two negative things I could say about this product are:
1) It does not come with a bottle to mix the ingredients in, so I had to buy my own squeeze bottle. (You could use a bowl and brush if you wanted to, I used a squeeze bottle)
2) Although the box claims it can be used for 1-2 applications, I barely had enough to dye my hair once. My hair is fairly long and thick, so next time I will purchase 2 boxes. At anywhere between $13.99 and $17.99 a box, this makes it a bit expensive, but still worth it for a natural dye that gives great results and is not tested on animals. I am very pleased with this product and will definitely repurchase.

UPDATE: After using this for close to a year, I still love it. And I have found that as long as I dye my hair every 6-8 weeks I can get away with only one box after all, since I am mainly touching up my roots and just using a small amount on the rest of my hair to refresh it a little.

UPDATE #2: I dyed my hair with this last week using the bowl and brush method and got even better results. Also, I just wanted to comment that this hairdye is not as safe and natural as I first believed, although it is still alot better than the other hair dye kits out there. I checked out Herbatint's rating on the Safe Cosmetic's Datatbase and it has a rating of 8 (which is in the red zone). However, most other popular dyes (such as L'oreal and Clairol) are rated a 10, which is the worst rating a product can get, not to mention those brands test on animals. Herbatint is the safest blonde hairdye I can find at the moment and it gives good results, so I will continue to use it. And maybe in time they will improve their product to make it even safer.

8 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No