July 29, 2014 | 1665 users online

Scrubs - Aesop - Purifying Facial Exfoliant Paste

rated 5 of 5 on 6/16/2014 7:20:00 AM More reviews by Bearbelle

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

The best exfoliant on the market. Skin feels amazing after use, my go to.

rated 2 of 5 on 6/10/2014 6:20:00 AM More reviews by LeClair

First of all, this thing stinks! It's not even the herbal scent, it just smells...bad! It has lots of scrubby particles, which I do love, but it just doesn't work so well. My skin is quite flaky and dehydrated, therefor I do have to exfoliate quite regularly. Now, this scrub feels good on the skin, but the scent is unbearable to me and my skin gets flaky just a day or two after I scrubbed it. And I don't just slap the scrub on, I do have a technique.
Overall, would not recommend it.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/31/2014 5:39:00 AM More reviews by keeza3

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This stuff is amazing. I have pretty flaky skin around my nose and chin with an oily t-zone. I get whiteheads and blackheads on my chin and nose - this is something I have had since I was a teenager, I am 29 years old now. I resigned myself to the fact that nothing would get rid of my blackheads. For a while clinique worked but my skin built up a tolerance to it. I then wasted a few thousand dollars on other products - you name it, I have tried it and it is probably in my bathroom cupboard. I have found this and never looked back. I use this with the AESOP tea-tree exfoliant for a really deep, powerful clean to get all the muck and congestion out. It's pretty heavy duty stuff but I only use this combination once a week and my skin feels like a baby's bottom afterwards. I use this on its own once a week. So exfoliating twice a week tops. Sometimes I don't even need to do that anymore! The price is quite steep - I live in New Zealand so it's even more expensive than other places but so worth it. I now walk around like a creepy person just fondling my own face because my skin feels so fabulously smooth and clean.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/1/2013 3:32:00 PM More reviews by Sandratanth

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Neutral Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have extremely sensitive skin. I also have dry flaky skin. Therefore I generally steer clear from harsh exfoliants. I tried 2 sample sachets of this and have since splurged on a full size. The only con to this is the price- but given the amount of money I've spent on other products which do not give the same results, I'd say it was worth it.

This exfoliator leaves skin so soft and smooth, and it has significantly cleared up my skin. I've tried products from Origins, Chanel and other high end brands, nothing has worked to get rid of the flakiness of my skin. Again, I have sensitive skin, but the grains in this product are tiny and is gentle enough on sensitive skin. The results have been amazing- smoother skin, brighter skin and smoother makeup application. I would highly recommend this for any skin type.

Note: It does have a herbal scent to it, which I love, but I understand some people may have an issue with. Definitely try a sample at your local Aesop counter. The sales assistants I've encountered so far have all been very helpful and more than willing to provide samples.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/15/2012 9:25:00 AM More reviews by brielouise

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

One of the best exfoliant's that I've ever tried! My skin was so smooth after and cleared up in the following days. I would definitely recommend it!

rated 2 of 5 on 10/17/2011 6:42:00 AM More reviews by juanitaconchita

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Other Eyes: Hazel

I have recently reverted to organic/natural based skincare since entering my 20's, as my skin has finally calmed down from a chronic acne-prone-oily skin to a normal-combo-dry skin with slight t-zone shine. I bought this scrub as well as the camelia nut cream in winter as my skin gets super tight and flaky [strange, huh?]. Anyway, I thought this was a mediocre product, didn't really feel like it did anything except literally scratching the surface of my skin. The formulation seems quite cheap - like that thick vitamin E cream with small bits of crushed up sand in it. And after using it i felt it left a slight oily residue on my skin and i'd bite the little quartz particles [somehow they made their way into my mouth!]. And this was in winter. I preferably think that the exfoliator range of Aesop needs to be developed further to keep within the standards of Aesop's other great products.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/29/2011 1:52:00 AM More reviews by margiemoo

I don't know why I've not reviewed this product earlier, I was given a sample of this product a year ago and have since bought and used a full-sized tube after I loved the results. I have normal/combination skin that needs daily exfoliation because I like to use face oils to nourish my skin. This is probably one of the best scrubs I've come across and I'm quite a fanatic.

It has a creamy base but is quite grainy without being harsh, from what I remember it contains quartz particles. Gives me real exfoliation without tearing at my skin and it feels baby smooth afterwards. It recreates the smoothness and clarity of skin when I get an organic hot towel facial though I would only use it once every two or three days.

As other reviewers have mentioned, it's quite pricey. Even in Australia it retails for $49 for 75ml and given the strength of the AUD I imagine it would be quite price prohibitive for many people overseas. This is one of tha main reasons why I've yet to repurchase this product even though I really like it.

My recommendation would be to approach a counter for samples, as that is their main form of marketing (they don't buy ad space etc, just rely on samples) so the sales assistants, in Australia at least, are usually very generous and will sometimes give you up to two weeks worth of the sample. Alternatively, the Pevonia Botanica gentle exfoliator or the Ren Jojoba Scrub are similar but I feel that you don't get quite a clean finish with them.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/22/2011 11:01:00 AM More reviews by VB10

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

WOW, what a great product!
I have most recently been using the Nude Skincare scrub and before that the one from REN and also the foaming Chantecaille option. I like all these but find Aesop's offering to be in a different league.

Used as a simple scrub my skin feels soft, clean, clear and smooth. The sales assistant suggested using it as a mask too. I have found this to be very effective and currently apply and rub on/in to my face then leave for 3 or 4 mins, massage around again and leave for another min or so then just with wet hands massage again and leave a little more or remove. This sounds time consuming and complex, I am sure you will find your own way, what I do recommend is that you leave the product on for a short while and experience the mask effects.
My skin not only feels deeply clean and clear but as smooth as that of a baby, quite remarkable!
Texture wise it is mid grainy so should suite those that like harsher textures and those that like lighter ones too. I wait to see how the product works over time and also how the packaging wears. This is where I predict an issue if there is going to be one.
I think this should work well for most skin types including sensitive (my face is both sensitive and combination), there is enough guts about the scrub to work for normal to dry, I expect that dry to very dry may find this a great exfoliater but needed a moisture mask or similar to follow. Likewise oily/acne may enjoy a clay type mask after.
Please do give it a go.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/25/2009 4:46:00 AM More reviews by angour

This is a very good exfoliator, very grainy, exactly what I was looking for. The formula is very refreshing and creamy, so after you wash it off your face it feels very soft and clean and any zits dry up and disappear in a couple of days.
The only thing is that I find it extremely expensive for what it does! I am not even sure why I bought it... I just remembered that aspirin + honey mask produces a similar effect on my skin.... and for much much less money... so if you feel like splurging, it is a good exfoliator, but otherwise there are cheaper solutions.... I am also not a very big fan of metallic tube packaging...