July 23, 2014 | 2297 users online

Liquid - Koh Gen Do - Moisture Foundation

rated 2 of 5 on 5/23/2014 9:29:00 PM More reviews by bebikayz

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

Just awful value. Barely any product and the product you do get is average. It don't find it moisturizing and it has little coverage. Very disappointed.

rated 2 of 5 on 5/19/2014 4:53:00 PM More reviews by jisun1

I bought this on sale at hautelook and so glad I did not pay full price for it. It is hard to blend in, esp on nose and around mouth. It slides around my skin no matter what I use underneath and it accentuates the pores on the side of my nose. It is light coverage but it makes my pores look worse and doesnt do much for the rest of my skin (which is fine bc my skin is overall OK).

It is expensive for the amount of product, but I cannot wait until I use it up. I dont like waste, even if the product doesnt do much for me. I just use it and use setting powder basically so I have a slight base for blush, bronzer.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/19/2014 4:48:00 PM More reviews by notaunicorn

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I definitely understand the complaints that this product is expensive - because it is... but at least for me it's magical. Koh Gen Do has a fantastic sampling program (at least in the US), you can email a beauty consultant and ask for assistance in color matching then in about a week or so you'll have samples at your doorstep! I received samples of this foundation in 001 thanks to a similarly pale blogger (I wore MUFE Mat Velvet in 15 previously to help give you some idea) and declared to my friend that I would definitely not be buying this foundation unless it was "freaking magical". It met that criteria - my sahara dry skin is so soft with this on that I pet it occasionally.

If you have dry skin - you'll likely love this foundation. This stuff leaves me freaking DEWY - something I figure was nearly impossible to achieve on my skin... at least not with any foundation that actually matches my epic dry paleness. On the other hand, if you have normal or oily skin this foundation may not work too well on your skin since it can leave a girl girl dewy.

This foundation has light coverage buildable to medium coverage. I wouldn't say it requires A LOT of product to get to medium compared to other foundations - but it's definitely something to consider with the price so high. If you're looking for a medium to full coverage foundation THIS IS NOT IT. I generally apply this foundation as a thin layer all over with my fingers and blend it out with a damp (no water should be come out when squeezed) beauty blender - then I add a little more product in areas where I need extra coverage (like my nose or chin where I have some facial redness) and blend that out. This product does an excellent job of covering my redness while still allowing my freckles to shine through and lasts well throughout the day. I always apply this foundation on top of a primer (over fully absorbed moisturizer and sunscreen) and set it with powder.

rated 2 of 5 on 5/19/2014 4:29:00 PM More reviews by eek42

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

So little product for the money! You need to use a lot, as well. It feels like the tube has 20 ish uses in it!

The coverage is minimal and not in a pretty barely there way. It looks patchy and slides all over - hence why you need to use a lot.

The foundation has a lot of water, and I notice that when I wear any kind of oil serum (with a water based cream over of course) the foundation applies HORRIBLY. Even with water based moisturizers over it, the foundation still slips badly. The transfer is HORRIBLE if i have any moisturizer on.

I don't find it moisturizing at all, in fact it clings to dry patches on my cheeks.

Despite this, it looks pretty nice on some bumpy skin I have if I go to the trouble to get a thick, even application.

I notice an hour later, it still looks ok on my bumpy nose/chin, which is unusual for me.

I'm giving it an additional lippy for the very pale shade 001. I prefer a yellow based foundation, but this still looks ok. It doesn't look that pink on.

rated 2 of 5 on 4/22/2014 1:47:00 AM More reviews by misscomplexity

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Well, it has the word "Moisture" on there so I thought it would be moisturizing and suitable for dry skin but it is definitely not. I didn't use this product daily, only a few days a week since it's so expensive and the size is below the standard size of foundation bottles. I noticed on the days I used this foundation, I got dry flaky patches halfway through the day.

I also struggled with the colors. I definitely purchased the wrong shade (too dark), but even swatching others I can't find the right one. And it's definitely not cost efficient enough to use two to blend a custom color.

But the dryness was the biggest issue for me. I do like the texture though and how well it applied on the face. The coverage was medium which you can apparently build, but I never did so I can't attest to that.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/20/2014 11:30:00 AM More reviews by EmmyJeanGirl

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I bought this on Hautelook so the price wasn't so bad. I'll probably only buy it on sale. That being said, I REALLY like this foundation. My skin type: oily T-zone, some dry patches, very sensitive/mild rosacea, slightly acne-prone, some fine lines. I'm pretty fair (NW20-ish), but for some reason shade 2 works really well for me. The undertone matches me and it doesn't make me turn ghostly or oxidize throughout the day. The coverage is sheer to medium, definitely not a full coverage foundation (which is fine with me). It evens out my skin tone, but won't cover up the red post acne marks or my freckles too much. I prefer to just dot concealer where I need it after applying a sheer foundation; it looks so natural. I don't apply this under my eyes as it will crease. I use a beauty blender sponge to apply (then conceal where I need to) and then lightly press on top a luminous setting powder and it gives the most natural "my skin but better" finish. (I'm very picky about finish and will only apply foundation with the beauty blender nowadays!) At first I didn't like this foundation because I was applying WAY too much; less is definitely more with this foundation (although I can add a second layer to cover the diffuse redness in my cheeks). I don't wear a primer underneath (just apply after my daily moisturizer has sunk in) and it lasts fairly well. I need to touch up with powder in my T-zone occasionally, but I work 10 hour days so that's to be expected. If I've gone overboard on the acne treatment and have flaky spots, I apply a balm after my moisturizer to prevent makeup from accentuating it. The best part is that it doesn't break me out!!! I strongly dislike most foundations because they look mask-like and/or they break me out.

Synopsis:

Pros:
~doesn't break me out or cause allergic reaction!!! :D
~lightweight - feels like a moisturizer on
~natural finish
~good color match - shade 02
~lasting power - would be longer if I used a primer but they all break me out :(
~packaging - squeeze tube is hygienic and easy to travel with
~does not accentuate textural issues (e.g. fine lines, pores, blemishes)
~buildable - enough to cover diffuse redness

Cons:
~price - buy it on sale and it's not so bad
~coverage - if you want full coverage this isn't it (actually a 'pro' for me)

Bottom line:
This is the only liquid foundation I use.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/30/2014 12:23:00 PM More reviews by lulululululu

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This is the best foundation I have ever used (Koh Gen Do's Aqua foundation is just as good). This has a little more coverage than the Aqua Foundation.

I have tried many foundations, and never look as good as I do in this foundation. It is lively, photographs beautifully and makes my face look beautiful.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/25/2014 8:46:00 AM More reviews by Yurippe

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I bought this because it was the palest foundation I could find at the time in Japan. (I discovered Maybelline's Mineral BB Base after that.) I love how it doesn't irritate my sensitive, acne-prone skin, and how pale it is.
I just wish it had better coverage and wouldn't cost so much...

rated 5 of 5 on 3/10/2014 1:41:00 PM More reviews by Naturalchic

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

This is the nicest cream foundation I've tried and the only one that's worked for me texture wise. It's a thick cream that melts easy into your skin when applied. You can use it very sheer and build it up to over a medium. I actually use it as a concealer over the Koh Gen Do Aqua Foundation because it covers enough and my scaly eczema doesn't get accentuated with it like other foundations or especially concealers. I have the shade 112 which is too neutral for my NC18, but it works good to brighten up around eyes and mouth. The shade up 113 is too dark. The staying power on my skin is medium.

Update 18/4-14; I now give this 5 stars instead of 4. This foundation is just truely invisible and naturel. I now mix the 113 and 001 to achieve a nc18-20, I like this color combo better than the 112. 112 is more neutral toned and 113+001 combo is more warm.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/4/2014 4:38:00 AM More reviews by dienausicaa

for color 001

i use this only winter at my palest, it being lighter than a nc5.

The texture is creamy and light without being greasy, blends itsel so easily and at first seems as if there is not much coverage going on, but on pictures and comparing a before and after i could see the perfecting effect without heavy coverage. the finish is natural, not satin, not matte, not glowy, just like real skin.This last quality is the strong point of this foundation, it looks so convincingly natural.

quite nice and not drying, good for very pale folk. in the spring and winter i mix this with another shade to warm it up.

cons: small quantity,making it very expensive

pro: the most natural yet perfecting foundation i have encountered so far, and i have literally sampled an entire department store selection at this point of my search.

detail- not super high coverage, not many shades, but easy to mix to adjust, just like artist grade products.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No