Calamine Lotion

4.5

Active Ingredients: Calamine (6.971%) (skin protectant), Zinc Oxide (6.971%) (skin protectant) Inactive Ingredients: Bentonite, Calcium Hydroxide, Glycerin, Water (Purified)

I cannot believe I didn't think to try this stuff sooner. It's truly the most effective topical treatment I have ever tried for acne.

I had extreme cystic acne from age 15-20, tried everything under the sun and nothing touched it until I went on the oral prescription Spironolactone. It took a few months, but then my skin was very clear and I didn't experience another cyst while on it. I went off of it after a year, hoping my problems were over. About 9-12 months later, and a lot of life stresses, my cystic acne was back.

It occurs all along my jawline. At any time I could have 3-4 deep cysts, the type that take a couple months to go away. Along with that, a variety of less-extreme zits along my jawline, chin and lower cheeks. As anyone who has experienced this knows, it is terrible. I am also a chronic face-picker, which obviously doesn't make things better.

I first read about using Calamine lotion on an acne board and decided to try it before going back on Spironolactone. I slathered it on at night, using a pretty thick layer of it all over my face. I woke up the next morning and my skin felt amazing. It was as if it sped up healing time 10x. My skin tone was more even, the redness had faded in general and on spots, and my existing pimples had shrunk. I have never experienced such a noticeable change so quickly.

I used it religiously every night as a mask for a few weeks and my skin was so much better. I got distracted and stopped using it as often, and my skin did return to a bit of chaos. But last night I used it again, and the most stubborn cyst I have ever had, the kind that would never come to a head and was just a hard bruised nodule, came to a head the next morning. It really does dry and pull out gunk. If I have a bad episode of skin picking, I will put on the lotion after and let it sit, and I can usually rinse it off an hour or so later and be ready to apply makeup and go out. Before I would be stuck at home with horribly agitated skin.

So long story short, it is well worth trying. I don't know if it prevents acne, it certainly seemed to, but it definitely kills current acne. I've tried $1,000+ worth of treatments, nothing else was as reliably effective and so quick. And so dang cheap, I feel silly for wasting all that money.

It can be quite drying, so I do moisturize a lot. I also wash with an oil-cleanser which helps. If it is too drying for you to use as an all-over mask I would suggest spot-treating with it.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I'm so happy I've discovered this but at the same time so freaking mad thinking of all the companies out there that have people with high hopes of curing their acne, wasting money on every 'new' acne treatment these companies come out with, and ZERO of their products comes close to this lotion. A LOTION THAT ISN'T EVEN MADE FOR ACNE!!! It is drying so use lotion if necessary but other than that it's great. It actually dries out the acne which shrinks it and works better than that stupid popped pimple relief drying paste from clean& clear. But don't get me wrong, I've tried every drug store brand and even pro activ.. All of it sucked. Panoxyl 10% benzoyl peroxide wash and this is my ultimate power couple for curing my problem!!!!

First off, make sure you get the old-fashioned pink calamine. I've found that I prefer using this as a facial mask more than any other clay-based mask I've tried. And I've tried a lot! I apply all over clean skin with a cotton pad and go back over with a second layer once the first has dried. It helps to dry out any existing spots you have, especially if they've been extracted. Keep in mind that calamine is very drying, so make sure you moisturize well after.

Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

I’ve never heard of this product until one day my sister recommended it. I thank her almost every day because this stuff is AMAZING!!! I don’t use it as a mask I use it as a “on the spot” treatment every night and wash it off in the morning. It DRIES OUT ZITS even the deep hormonal jawline zits. On some of them it even shrinks them and leaves them completely flat, when that happens I still apply the calamine lotion and it helps get rid of the redness and I’m left with no scar. Speaking of scars unfortunately when we pick at them we are left with a red scar well this helps with that as well. It minimizes redness, it takes about 5 applications to get rid of the red marks. This is truly a miracle product and I got it at Target for $4

This is truly an amazing gift for the skin and I wouldn't have ever known about it if it wasn't for MUA. My skin can have it's problems and whenever it does, I apply this as a mask for about 45-1 hour long. Please make sure that what u are buying has zinc as the main medical ingredient. After washing this off my face, my pimples are always less red, and by the next day they are drying out and some even flaked right off! I have used green clay, BP, and this is the only thing with such great and harmless results. I did use this overnight, but I find that over night it will actually block my pores since it has glycerin amongst other ingredients, and is best personally as a mask.

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other

I'm new to using this so I am still on the fence but I will update as I go.

I got this specifically because I have a problem with hormonal acne.
I never used to but I stopped taking birth control pills in February in favor of an IUD and the hormonal acne showed up a couple months later (around april/may). I think it's hormonal acne because its only on my jawline. I don't really have a problem with acne anywhere else.

So I bought a bottle of this, shook it up, and dabbed it on my lovely zits. Then I went to bed.
When I woke up, the acne looked the same (to me). But it felt like it was less swollen and hot. I get those deep knotted pimples that are under the surface.

After a couple days, most of my pimples had come to a head and were much less swollen and red. Usually these pimples last a week or more and never come to a head, just boil up and sit there looking hideous.

Well it's been about 4 days since applying this that one time. I gently exfoliated with my clarisonic as I could see dead skin shedding off my zits. So the calamine lotion definitely helped dry out that acne. Today I woke up and all of my zits are flat, with no dead skin or swelling. Just little red marks.

I would say it's definitely an improvement. I DID dab on some tea tree oil after exfoliating last night as well. I think the calamine helps really "calm down" the acne, like reduces swelling and redness a lot and helps bring them to a head.

I will update!

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

Everyone seems to love this but it really did nothing for me! In fact I think it irritated my skin, I put it on a breakout and not only did it do nothing for it but the skin around it became...textured? This is soothing on bites and rashes on the body though (It stops itching, nothing else really) but it was cheap so no hard feelings.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

Wow. I've always had this stuff in the back of my cabinet that my family uses for bug bites and I remember being covered in this stuff when I had chicken pox. But I NEVER thought to use it after months of experiencing mild acne all over my face. (I used to have moderate acne a few years ago, I thought i had cleared it up for good but i guess not.) I've used so many things to try and clear my skin up: witch hazel, lavender oil, raw honey, ice cube facials, apple cider vinegar, and plenty of drugstore washes and spot treatments. The only thing that has been helping a little is the raw honey as a mask/cleanser and rubbing my face with an ice cube twice a day. But I still had these tiny pimples all over my forehead and some painful ones on my temples. I also have red marks on my cheeks from breakouts and a few small under the skin pimples which are painful nonetheless. I decided to try it after finding a review for it on here since I'm always scouring the internet for new ways to try and fix my skin. I grabbed the one in my cabinet and almost started putting it all over my face but i'm so glad i looked at the ingredients first because it wasnt even real calamine! It just had a bunch of artificial junk in it and not even the good stuff which is zinc. I went and got actual calamaine in the first aid section of the supermarket and i dabbed it all over my problem areas and went to sleep. I just woke up and rinsed it off and my skin hasn't looked this good in so long... Some pimples are still there but it completely took the redness away! I'm so happy. I'm going to do this every few nights until my skin is better because I've read that it can be drying and your skin might become used to it and it may not be as effective.

Side note: I wash with a mild goat milk soap instead of a harsh cleanser and when I'm wearing makeup i use a vibrating gentle brush to make sure the makeup is all out of my skin and then i cleanse with raw honey after that. I also try to do honey masks for 30 mins a day because i feel like it keeps the larger pimples at bay and my face moisturized. I also started drinking more water and I drink up to 3 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar a day diluted in water. I've also started exercising more each day and eating more fresh foods and less sugar and dairy ( I didn't completely cut those things out because I have the biggest sweet tooth and I love cheese -__-)

Anyone who is experiencing acne and nothing is working, you should definitely try this regimen and spot treat with calamine!!

I have very oily on my T-zone, sensitive and acne prone skin... I've read a lot of gud reviews about this product, but unfortunately, it didnt work for my pimples.. I've been using for 4 days now but those pimples still on my face... It might work for somebody else, not for me :(

WHO FREAKING KNEW. After two nights use, this shrunk two HUGE zits (and didn't dry them up and make them scab either....just shrunk them) and DRAMATICALLY faded some recent post acne marks and made my skin tone look so much more even. I also wore this as a makeup primer to work yesterday and IT IS AWESOME. Made my skin look completely pore less, matte and kept my makeup on all day. WHO FREAKING KNEW.