August 22, 2014 | 1936 users online

Styling Products - Redken - Color Extend Sun- Sparkling Shield ] [DISCONTINUED]

This product has been discontinued

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/29/2011 8:09:00 PM More reviews by Neume

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

1) DO NOT BUY THIS IF YOU HAVE THIN HAIR. This product is very heavy and greasy.

2) This is only to be used if you're going swimming or laying out in the sun for a long time, not for everyday in the summertime.

That being said, I bought this for poolside lounging while I was on vacay. I have very thick, coarse hair, so the heaviness didn't really bother me. Yes, it's very greasy, but I think that's the point - it does say it's supposed to protect your color from damage in chlorine. To do that, it saturates your hair so it won't absorb chemicals from the pool.

So for the right situation, this is excellent. I think the problem is that when used as for anything other than the beach/pool it's way too heavy.

rated 1 of 5 on 7/26/2010 10:19:00 AM More reviews by butterflygirl2

I am a huge Redken fan/user so I thought I would try this product as I would be spending a lot of time in the sun. It was way too greasy and the smell was SO STRONG to me. Some people may need this kind of oiliness and like the strong smell, I did not. I started using Nexxus Luxe leave in instead and like it much better.

rated 2 of 5 on 6/2/2010 2:49:00 PM More reviews by emromano

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

Smells like incence...very unfeminine, un- summer smell. I cannot stand it!

Greasy!!! wow this stuff is greasy,

I wanted the sun protection but this the greasy smelly product is not worth your money or time

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 12/1/2009 3:53:00 AM More reviews by desertdwellr

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

I wanted to like this stuff! I received 2 bottles of this from a friend. Obviously, she wanted to like it too, but didn't. She knows that I almost exclusively use Redken products, so she thought I would like it, but I didn't. I've tried to like this, and it's difficult. I've used it alone, and I've mixed a spray or two, in with Velvet Whip, and also the Dream Whip. It's a complicated product. Why can't Redken just add a UV shield to other styling products, instead of pretending that their customers need this? This is too greasy to be used alone. It comes in an ineffective spray bottle. It's not even a fine mist spray bottle. It just sprays like a cheap pump hairspray. Two sprays is too greasy for my shoulder length, thick air. If you have damaged hair, this would still be too greasy, because this is not a dry oil type of product. It just coats the hair, and sits there. If I were going to sit on a beach all day, then this product might be okay. Just okay, and nothing more than okay, because I doubt anyone wants to have greasy hair at the beach, either. I've never cared for Redken's Color Extend line, and this product is marketed in that line. IMAO the Color Extend line needs to be reformulated, and updated. This product's packaging is well designed, and made to suck you in with the sparkle shield glitter that is floating around in the bottle. The sad part is, this is nothing more than an expensive hair sheen, with UV filters in it. I don't like this product, and I wouldn't recommend it either. There are better, cheaper, haircare products with a sunscreen, on the market than this. Don't waste your money. EDIT-12/30/09 I've been working with this again, because I'm insane like that. I'm giving it another lippie. I spray 5 sprays into my hand, while my hair is wet, and before blow drying. I don't add anyother products, either. My hair feels soft, and looks nice. It does the same thing that Alterna's Caviar Anti-Aging Rapid Repair Spray does, but this doesn't even compare and I would never dare spray this onto dry hair. I'm not crazy about Alterna Rapid Repair Spray, either, and I still wouldn't buy this product. It makes haircare difficult!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/17/2009 2:22:00 PM More reviews by glitteralex

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

This product is fine if you use just a WEE bit. My thin fine hair looks greasy if more than 2 spritzes are used for the whole head. I do, however, use it when my hair is in a pony and I'm going out in the sun. The glitter is nice, and I have not gotten fried hair yet this summer using it.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/17/2009 2:00:00 PM More reviews by staciarose22

This is my favorite hair product for the Summer. It smells really nice, with mango oil. Helps provide water-resistant protection against UVA/UVB rays, chlorine and minerals while creating a sleek, polished finish. It has microfine gold shimmer in the spray, but this doesn't really show up obviously on my hair. It just makes my hair smooth, and protects with spf. My hair is soft, and frizz free. Only small sprays are enough, you don't need alot. It reminds me a little of the Fekkai spray, but I prefer this scent and feel it softens the hair compared to giving just a shine. My hair is alot shinier, and smells nice. I only use it on my natural curls, and let it air dry. It has helped keep my parched hair healthy.
    Update: I have very thick hair that's wavy, long, and color treated. This has been a life saver for me in the Winter and Summer! I can't believe the bad reviews, or that it's just ok... My hair is never greasy with this, but I don't spray the bottle so close to my hair . I mist it around my hair from the mid-length down. I don't need the shimmer in it, but it's pretty. The scent is still really good, and I get compliments on that. Anyone close to you can smell your hair, just like smelling your perfume. This actually softens my hair, and I hope they keep making it each season. It lasts forever because the mist is so fine, but I want to stock up.