St. Moriz Self Tanner Mousse

Aqua (Water), Dihydroxyacetone, Propylene Glycol, Ethoxydiglycol, Polysorbate 20, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Parfun (Fragrance), Citric Acid, 2-Bromo-2-Nitropropane-1, 3-Diol, Coumarin, Citronellol, Alpha-isomethyl Ionone, Butylphenyl Methylpropional, Eugenol, CI 16035 (Red40), CI 19140 (Yellow 5), CI 42090 (Blue 1)

on 9/28/2015 1:28:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse

This is my go-to self tanner. Ulta carries this for $12.99 and I repurchase every single time. I used to go to the tanning beds a lot but as I get older I've been trying to find alternatives so I don't do anything that prematurely ages me or puts my body at risk. When I first bought this, I bought it in medium because I'm very fair. I now have repurchased this multiple times but now I get it in dark because medium only gives me a hint of color and dark makes me noticeably darker but still fairly light compared to some fake tanners. I purchased it with Ulta's tanning mit and I have to say the application of this mousse was smooth and streak free. This formula blended so easily and the color guard makes it easy to see if you missed a spot. I wear big clothes over it and although it doesn't stain my sheets or feel too sticky, I rather be safe than sorry. It does have a smell, not a good one but also not a bad one. I go to sleep and when i wake up I can tell I'm quite dark so I shower and gently wash the color guard off and I'm not as dark as before but everything looks natural and blended.

And I think that's my only "complaint" about this self tanner is that I wish they made one in extreme dark. But otherwise each shade gives a beautiful natural tan, it doesn't pull to orange or look fake at all. It fades within 4-5 days on me and it always fades evenly. However, I wished it lasted a little longer and was a tad darker - but for the price you absolutely cannot beat it!

on 9/27/2015 2:45:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

I picked this up at Ulta when I was on a shopping trip out of town. I didn't realize Ulta carried it, so I was very excited to find it there! I'm a self-professed sunless tanning addict and I've tried literally nearly every kind out there - from the highest of high end to the lowest of low end. My favorite brands are Loving Tan, St. Tropez, and Famous Dave's. Even though I've found some that I love, I'm always up for trying something new and this was something I was always curious about. I bought it in Dark. For reference, I'm naturally an NC10/15, NARS Siberia/Gobi - very fair-skinned with yellow/golden/slightly olive undertones. I naturally tan very quickly and dark, but don't want to risk the sun damage and increased risk of skin cancer. I have somewhat sensitive skin, and some tans have proven to be irritating.

I applied this using a St. Tropez tanning mitt. (I always recommend also wearing a pair of non-latex gloves underneath the mitt because the tan can sometimes seep through and stain your hands.) When I first pumped some of the product onto a paper towel to get an idea of the scent, it seemed to be a somewhat overwhelming soapy smell, like an old soap my grandparents used when I was a kid. But once I got it on the mitt and started applying, it wasn't that strong at all. It was actually a nice light, fresh scent. This mousse applies like *butter*. It glides on so smooth and almost creamy. It dried quickly but allowed plenty of time to get it blended properly. The color guide is much nicer looking than St. Tropez. It's not so blatantly green and is more of a deep olive brown. I was able to put my pajamas on within about 5 minutes and then I got into bed. Very impressed after initial application.

The next morning, the color guide looked gorgeous! I was so excited to see the actual result. Unfortunately, I was left pretty disappointed. After the guide had washed off I was left with very little color. It was about the equivalent of two applications of a gradual tanner. To its credit though, it was a very natural color. There are certain areas of my skin that fake tans tend to irritate, and the area that reacts the worst is my mid/lower back. After one application I experienced no itching. I decided to apply another layer the night after the first application. That got me to about where I wanted to be depth-wise, but I really prefer to only have to apply one layer of tan each week. But the color really was very nice! In all honesty I liked the color a little better than the St. Tropez Dark Bronzing Mousse as it was reddish/olive/brown as opposed to the strong olive tone in St. Tropez that sometimes makes me look a bit green/coppery. However, after the day after that second application, I started experiencing pretty bad itching on my lower back. It took about 3 days for that to go away.

I also noticed after just 4 days that it was fading poorly on my upper arms and inner thighs so I ended up exfoliating it off at that point. Sunless tans (especially mousses) tend to last at least 6-7 days on me, so I was pretty disappointed with that. Prior to that I was thinking it would make a good winter tan because it's such a breeze to apply, so cheap, and gives a nice light glow with one application. But I don't think I want to deal with the bad fading and frequent re-applying. I would really probably give it a 3.5, but I bumped it up rather than down due to it's cheap price and awesome application and nice color. I do highly recommend trying it! It's so affordable and really seems to work very well for many people!

on 9/7/2015 3:44:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

For about £3 you can't go wrong with this tan. I exfoliate with the soap and glory exfoliator and a pair exfoliating gloves and then moisturize the tricky bits (feet, knees, elbows and hands) with palmers cocoa butter. After waiting an hour for it to soak in I put 2 pumps of st moriz mousse in medium on my tanning mitt and buff into the skin. Once I've finished applying I put a tiny amount of water on a flannel and buff the 'tricky bits' to get rid of any excess tanner that can make it go darker than the rest.
In the morning I wake up to a bit of a scarily dark orangy tan until I jump in the shower. After I'm left with a gorgeously brown (not orange!) natural looking tan! The tan lasts for about 3 days until I need to reapply.
- Easy to apply
- Doesn't streak
- Fades evenly
- Natural colour
- Cheap as chips
- Has that familiar biscuity smell after about an hour of applying (although I actually quite like the smell!)

In conclusion I love this fake tan, although I would definitely advise anyone using the mousse to apply using a mitt, I don't think it would apply as evenly without one.

on 7/22/2015 10:34:00 AM

I love this product! I am light skinned and have a problem with self tanners looking orange and unnatural. I bought the st moriz mousse in medium and it looks amazing. I love how it dries quickly and doesn't streak. It also doesn't leave that weird smell like most self tanners do. I will definitely repurchase.

on 7/12/2015 10:25:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

I have tried many of the higher end ones (such as St Tropez recently) and then the lower end ones (Jergens, Equate..ect). Last week I gave the spray version of this a shot (on accident..thought I bought the mousse) and I *really* loved that. However this is hands down my favorite.

-Application: As I suspected, the mousse is a lot easier to apply than the spray.

-Color: Very believable, natural color. It is not orange based. I am NC10 (think albino with yellow undertones). This gave me a golden, brown tinted tan. It is beautiful.

-Longetivity: This lasts at least 3 days, even with showers (given I don't attempt scrubbing it off purposely).

-Even fade: It doesn't wear off in weird, noticeable patches the way some self tanners do.

-0 odor. Jergens Gradual Tan lotion back in 2008 turned me off sunless tanning for a very long time because it smelled like rancid cat pee. The sunless tanning product industry has really evolved, I don't smell any fragrance in this nor nasty chemicals.

-The color guard: You get an instant bronzing effect. Which is awesome, because it shows where the tanner has been applied. This helps give you an even application.

-Dries immediately: This dries almost too quickly, and that's what makes Moriz unique. So many of the self tanners on the market leave a tacky film on my skin, causing my pores to choke and inflame. St Moriz tanners dry within 30 seconds. I can use this on my acne prone face and trust 100% that is not the culprit of any of my (now rare) breakouts.

-Darkens acne scars and pools into pores: this is the only con I'd found. It'll take even the lightest acne scars on my face and turn them blood red. My big facial pores become black dots. I love this tanner enough that I am will to work around this flaw. Besides, I wear foundation everyday anyways.

I'll report back if I find a solution to that.

Either way, this stuff is amazing.

on 6/27/2015 9:03:00 PM

I have tried soooo many self tanners. From high end brands such as the tarte one and St Tropez, to drug store brands such as Nivea and jergins. This is the holy grail of self tanners. It is AMAZING. the color is absolutely stunning and lasts foreverrrrrrr. The packaging can get a little messy but that's okay. It's awesome. Get this self tanner ASAP. You will look like a bronze goddess haha. It's so good. I get lots of compliments :). The price is amazing too it's like $12 or so. You can't go wrong with this!! It is not orange what so ever either! Try it you'll love it.

on 5/1/2015 1:17:00 PM

I love product so much,

I use fake tan alot and i have tried a lot of different fake tans but this is my favorite.

It goes on nicely, The guide colour is very similar to the colour you are left with when it has been washed off, and sometimes the guide colour does look patchy or darker in places but when it has been washed off its not patchy at all.

Its so cheap too and a bottle will last me at least 4/5 full body applications,

It is slightly sticky for about an hour after application, But other than that i dont think i could fault it

I've been on MUA for years, but haven't actually written a review until now... however, I love this product so much that I just couldn't resist.

I would call myself a bit of a newbie when it comes to self-tanning, so St. Moriz in dark is only the third self-tanner I've ever tried (after Jergens, which took forever to show any color, and Banana Boat Deep Dark Color, which was just O.K). I am so impressed.

- Color is not orange, but a natural tan, somewhere between olive and golden
- Scent is not horrible - there is a bit of a DHA smell, but it is still pleasant
- PRICE is amazing. I bought it for 12 dollars at ULTA in the U.S., but am now seeing that people have found it for cheaper online
- Bottle lasts a long time
- Color is dark enough to be noticed, but not dark enough to look fake. A second coat could be added for an extra oomph!
- Color fades evenly (at least on me) in about 4-6 days
- Doesn't stain sheets

- Slightly sticky, but that's pretty much all I've got

- Use a mit!!! Always use a mit
- Work in small sections to make sure the product doesn't dry before it's been rubbed in

on 3/21/2015 5:04:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

This tan is amazing!

-It doesn't stain clothes, after you've showered off the guide colour after 6 hours.
-It gives a really nice, brown look, not in the least bit orange
-It blends perfectly, no streaks or patches
-It's extremely easy to use

I wouldn't use it too often for a night out, unless I was wearing a light colour outfit, as it is a very natural tan. I wore it to a ball last night and needed to do three layers to get to the colour I wanted, however I was using the medium shade so that may be why. It's the perfect tan for a nice, natural glow.

Overall the tan is amazing, everything you could want in an instant tan, and the price is amazing.

on 2/26/2015 4:18:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I LOVE this tan (and I'm not really a fan of tan generally, I prefer a sun bed!) but this stuff is BETTER than St tropez and the expensive brands. I like the lotion or mouse and I always get the dark colour (even though I am fair) it isn't too dark. I apply before bedtime and sleep in it overnight and then shower off in the morning!

Video Reviews & Tutorials