Guerlain Idylle

3.0

on 5/20/2015 1:06:00 AM

It took me a while to warm up to Idylle. Guerlain is one of those perfume houses that has a certain gravitas. One expects serious, elegant perfumes to come from this classic French house. So when Idylle was launched in 2009, many perfumistas were puzzled. There's no Guerlinade here; no dreamy tonka-vanilla drydown. Idylle is a musky, sweet floral in the vein of Narciso Rodriguez for Her EDP. In fact, you could repackage Idylle as a NR flanker and I bet nobody would know the difference. In Idylle, floral (with rose and muguet figuring heavily) and peach notes dance over a musky base. It's nothing that hasn't been done before, but what makes Idylle special is how well it's done. The notes come together in a smooth, sweet swirl that smells so good, it's kind of addictive; the lasting power is impressive, and it lacks that harsh opening note in Narciso Rodriguez (and Lanvin Rumeur, another similar fragrance) that seems to smell a bit like nail polish remover. For this reason, although I love NR in all of its forms, I find myself reaching more often for Idylle when I want a musky floral fix. The drydown is clean and soapy, like the best-smelling shampoo in the world. In short, this fragrance is feminine, easy to wear, and good for just about any occasion. Wear it to work; wear it out to dinner; casual or dressed up, Idylle is an all-arounder.

on 5/14/2015 8:52:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

Wow this has such a low rating. I don't think it is that bad! I have read some very harsh comments. I am not good at explaining perfume notes but I would consider this to be a sweet and soft floral. It smells very 'pretty' and 'elegant' and I feel that it turns me into a radiant princess. So maybe it isn't as sophisticated as Shalimar or Mitsouko, but I still find it lovely. The only thing that bothers me is that it doesn't last very long and the sillage is soft. I don't like to be that woman in the room who everyone can smell but I do like to be that woman you can smell when they stand next to you. Idylle unfortunately doesn't make that for me. To be fair, a lot of fragrances nowadays aren't that strong or long lasting but there are a few who do that deserve my attention more. I do not regret Idylle at all but it won't be something I repurchase.

on 2/19/2015 8:57:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

so sexy....

on 10/16/2014 10:48:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

One of the worst Guerlain scents I've ever tried. No Guerlinade here, just a safe, forgettable floral that smells like toilet cleaner.

on 7/20/2013 7:53:00 AM

I'm one of these people that is still seeking their signature perfume, I thought I had finally found it but .............This is my second bottle of this perfume would I buy it again , I'm not sure to be honest. My husband says its ok , but he's not mad about it ,a couple of friends have made comments but I just am not sure it has the wow factor , on me anyway. I love the bottle , but agree with other comments that the lid is annoying, not the best. I do get an occasional waft of this if I'm wearing a scarf, but I'm looking forward to trying something new, which says it all really!

on 6/7/2013 2:56:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine

I didnt' get roses or anything else but huge white floral. It's a nice huge white floral, but that's about it on my. Pass.

on 3/27/2013 10:49:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

I love this scent. I only use it for special occasions because I don't want it to run out! However, this is a strong scent so you really only need one squirt to last all day or night. I really like how this smells, its very warm and fresh at the same time. It doesn't smell like old lady musk or baby powdery. Its got an exotic and vibrant smell, but yet cozy and inviting. If you're going for a young and modern scent, I'd steer clear of this perfume. It is very mature, but womanly. I would recommend this. You won't be disappointed.

on 2/7/2013 10:47:00 AM

I don't like rating perfumes as I quite often like something on other people only to try it and realise it settles as something abhorrent on me so I felt reviews saying this is horrible are a bit unwarranted. It could just be your hormonal make up reacting to it.

This perfume is very sweet once it goes on but dries as just light and fresh, like clean skin or clean laundry but very sensual, not like other clean smells (I use Phylosophy's Pure grace usually and Gap's Grass scent - just to give you an idea what I like).
It made several people tell me I smell amazing once I wear it. I love smelling it on my coat several days later, it lasts well.

What I don't like about it is the stupid bottle. The top comes off with difficulty and actually made me break the spray button - it just came off with the top. I was pretty angry as I just forked out for 100ml. I managed to reinstate the button but I cannot use the top any more, which makes it impossible to pack for travelling.

Top marks for the scent (you either like it or you don't) from me but rubbish bottle.

on 11/1/2012 3:12:00 AM

I love the smell of this perfume. My boyfriend thinks this is a scent for elderly women. I was shocked as he told me. I think this is a sensual smell for a woman in love or for a romantic moment. It stays on for a long time. I love this perfume and I am definitely buying this one again!

on 10/16/2012 8:19:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

My favourite. I bought make-up in France while on holidays,,and i was given a sample of this. Fell inlove. When i went back to London, I tracked it down and bought a bottle. Just romantic and sensual. Before this i was wearing Calvin Klien Euphoria...so that kinda style:-)

Popular Fragrances