August 22, 2014 | 1820 users online

Lotions/ Creams - Palmer's - Cocoa Butter Formula with Vitamin E Skin Smoothing Lotion with Alpha / Beta Hydroxy & Shea Butter

rated 5 of 5 on 2/2/2014 6:45:00 PM More reviews by JaquetaOneofShame

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I think the smell of this product is either a "love it or hate it". I like the scent, it's unobtrusive, and more appealing to me than overpowering flowery or sweet, fruity scents found in many body lotions. I'm not sure how this lotion stacks up against other skin-smoothing lotions- what I can say is that it feels very moisturizing without feeling heavy or greasy and it absorbs quickly. I'm a person who generally can't be bothered with using a lot of extraneous products, I have so many lotions that I liked the scent of or hoped would help my extremely dry skin but they felt too heavy or the sweet scents made me feel ill and I quit using them. I have consistently used this and I like it a lot. I take my shower and scrub down with my salux, then towel off and apply this. It absorbs fast and my skin feels soft and comfortable and moisturized without a sticky or heavy feeling. It's kept my winter skin in check. I would definitely repurchase this (and I can't say that about most lotions).

rated 5 of 5 on 1/8/2014 5:46:00 AM More reviews by karenmt

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I use this, usually in summer, on my face. It is fantastic. I only use a tiny amount, and yes the smell is at first off putting but I am used to it now. I only use it a few times a week, not everyday. It leaves my face sooo clear and smooth, it's unbelievable. I use it at night and wake up the next morning with perfect looking skin.If you are going to use on your face obviously use standard precautions (not near eyes etc) and only a tiny amount.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/23/2013 10:31:00 AM More reviews by xruthjox

In the UK this product can be quite hard to find - all supermarkets, boots and superdrug stock the original cocoa butter but is normally only the really large stores that stock this. The smell is a bit different but I like it, sort of reminds me of the sea/seaweed but in a good way! Very smoothing and like others have said, great after shaving legs. Would definitely buy again when feeling flush as it doesn't ever seem to be on offers when the others are.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/14/2013 3:26:00 AM More reviews by SaraCee07

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Grey

The smell of this is an acquired one I guess! I don't mind it too much. I bought this for my daughter as she has keratosis pilaris on her arms, it didn't really help much for her so I discontinued using it for her, and instead started using it for my legs. I have very sensitive skin on my legs and get lots of bumps and red spots from hair removal, but I have found this doesn't irritate me and my legs do actually look smoother and less bumpy! Soaks in pretty quickly. I think this is too expensive for me to be an all over body moisturizer, but for specific areas that I want smoothed (eg my legs!) it's fantastic.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/1/2013 10:41:00 AM More reviews by Parisa909

use my Braun Silk-Épil epilator often, and whilst I love how smooth and fuzz free it leaves my body, I really dislike the ingrown hairs I get on occasion. Exfoliating helps with this quite well, but this body lotion has really helped to diminish my ingrown hairs. I think it must be due to the inclusion of Alpha and Beta Hydroxy acids, because I have noticed my skin to be much smoother and softer than ever, and I hardly get ingrown hairs on my legs and bikini line, or the horrid little red bumps either. The consistency is thinner than the original cocoa butter, which is good because it spreads more evenly with less product. The only drawback is that the scent is more medicinal than the original cocoa butter, but I have been using this for quite a while now so it hardly bothers me.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/12/2013 2:27:00 AM More reviews by bonniherself

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Other, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I've had to edit this review. I just threw out a bottle of this, despite the bottle being about 75% full. I was okay with the smell of this at first, but after a while, I grew to really hate it, and I couldn't stand it any more. It's a real shame, because the product works very well.

I got this to use on my fingers/hands after reading a recommendation to use an alpha hydroxy moisturiser to help tame difficult cuticles and moisturise the nail bed (edit: I have since moved on to Poshe Cuticle Care AHA Cuticle Revitalizer, which works like a dream and doesn't have a horrible smell).

I used the Palmer's a couple of times a week at night, rubbed in well and with cotton gloves on top, both to keep the lotion from getting everywhere in my bed and to help retain the moisture and heat. In those circumstances, the product works very well to moisturise dry skin and cuticles, and I was impressed with its performance in that regard.

But, okay, yes, the smell. As so many reviewers have commented, this has an extraordinarily strong scent, and it's not one I find pleasant. It's hard to describe, but "cheap cologne" was mentioned and that's not far off. Some people like the scent, and I'm happy for them, but I found it distracting and far too strong. (In fact, almost all Palmer's products have very strong perfumes; I guess they think nobody wants to wear any actual perfume, or that they enjoy having a conflict between their body lotion and their perfume?).

Because I only used this at night, and with cotton gloves, I wasn't too bothered by the smell, but, over time it just got to where I couldn't stand it any more and I had to stop using it.

Basically, this product works well to get rid of dry, rough skin. If only they'd release this in an unscented form, it would be utterly and totally Holy Grail for me and, I suspect, many others... As it is, I won't be buying it again nor even using up the bottle I do have. It's a real shame that such a good product has such a wretched, strong, lingering smell that so many people find unappealing.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/2/2012 9:07:00 AM More reviews by ketu86

I wanted a body moisturiser with AHAs or BHAs to reduce my scars, I have loads of stretch marks and chicken pox scars so I had a look around MUA and came across this. I was really happy to find this as its cheap and easily available, I found it in my local Boots :)

I'm using it roughly twice a week and haven't noticed any significant reduction in scarring but that's probably because I'm not using it often enough. (This is my first time using AHAs and BHAs so I want to introduce it to my skin slowly...) Although I'm only using it twice a week I have noticed a significant improvement in the smoothness of my skin :D The texture is just right, spreads easily and is absorbed well.

Negatives - the smellllllll, oh the smell, it's so weird and while I can put up with it, I don't really like it and it lingers, I can smell it on my pyjamas. It is also stings my hands when I apply, probably cos I have eczema on my fingers so I have to use the parts of my hands without eczema which can make application a bit of a hassle (and another reason as to why I don't apply it every day)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/7/2012 1:36:00 AM More reviews by LookingGood85

I'm a huge fan of the original palmers cocoa butter, a d luuuurve the smell of it. But I noticed I needed a stronger body lotion to combat the tiny bumps on my arms and the few scarring I have elsewhere. I read up on here about this lotion, in the bluefish bottle and thought, for £4, what the heck!

I made my own body scrub with some dove body wash and a load of bicarbonate of soda and scrubbed scrubbed scrubbed. After my bath, I smoothed this into my arms, tummy, legs, feet etc. it was lovely. It's more silky smooth than the original, and leaves skin feeling, as another said, buttery soft. That's the only way to describe it!
The smell is fine, I really like it, doesn't, to me anyways, smell of fly spray lol! Smells like a loreal one that was out years ago that I loved then!

This morning, my skin feels a lot smoother, so will be using this again this morning, or I may alternate between the original and this one :-) either way it's a major + from me, love this stuff!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/6/2011 1:49:00 PM More reviews by susie03

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Best body lotion I've bought in a long time. It's inexpensive, very absorbent, spreads easily so you don't need to apply loads and application is quick and I'm impatient with time consuming regimes so that's a big plus for me. I don't mind the smell. I prefer it to the very cocoa buttery smell of the original and I find the scent doesn't linger or interfere with my perfume.
It's always smoothed dry elbow skin and eliminates the flakey calves that I tend to get from wearing skinny jeans.
Love it, will definitely buy again and I ususally chop & change body lotions depending on what's on offer.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 4/1/2010 9:56:00 PM More reviews by Donnz

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I have such mixed feeings on this lotion. I am reviewing the bottle that is a bluish colour and has alpha and beta hydroxy acids in it.

Firstly the pros:

It does smooth skin. It has even worked miracles with my disgusting dancer feet which have awful cracked heels and calloses everywhere. It removed ingrown hairs for legs and bikini line. It leaves your skin feeling so smooth with no film whatsoever. It helps fade suntan line marks and sun damage.

Cons.

It stinks!! This isn't a one off bad bottle as I have already bought three. It smells like a combination of wet towels that you left in a damp corner to rot for a week and that fantastic mens cologne from the 70s - Old Spice. Blurgh!!! It lingers for ages. I got out of the shower then sat next to my husband who looked around and asked if I had treated the house with fly spray. Oh dear, not what I was going for at all.

I am definately going to repurchase this but just for my feet and lower legs as it is a miracle worker but I can't stand the smell at all.