Boots Botanics Organic Face Super Balm

4.3

Shea butter, sweet almond oil, beeswax, cetyl alcohol, avocado oil, argan oil

on 3/15/2015 5:44:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Other, Fine

I bought this as a much less expensive replacement for the Algenist Overnight Restorative Cream ($90) hoping it would be the same, but I don't like it at all. The texture changes depending on the temperature so during the colder months, it was a hard balm that I had to dig into and now that it's getting warmer, it's a lot meltier and grainy in the tub. When the texture is harder, it's difficult to gauge how much you are applying to the skin--once it warms up on your face, it's extremely slippery and liquidy. I find that it doesn't sink in as much as I would like and I feel like it gets rubbed off on my pillows. The packaging is super flimsy and cheap plastic, so I would much prefer they go back to the glass jar.

Update: I noticed that I was getting white bumps under my eyes and after researching figured out that it was millia, which is apparently caused by TOO MUCH moisture. I didn't connect it to this balm, so I stopped using my eye creams in hope that it would go away. Weeks later, I was successful in digging out the millia with a needle. But then I applied the super balm around my nose (while I had a cold) and I noticed that millia started appearing under my nose. I haven't even owned this product for a month so I'm returning it to Target ASAP. I've never had millia in my life and all evidence is pointing to this balm!

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

This balm is a true saviour in a harsh winter weather. It is tiny (now the packaging is made of plastic not glass, which is not ideal), easily accessible in any Boots, the ingredients are wonderful and very good for dry, chapped skin. It is also dirt cheap, especially in comparison with very similar products (I am thinking about Egyptian Magic balm here), I think I've paid something like 5 and now buying it in bulk as a stocking filler for all my girlfriends.

I scoop out a tiny amount with an cotton bud, warm it between my fingertips and pat into the driest areas on my face etc.. It soothes the skin but does not leave a shiny, greasy residue, I can use it over or under makeup. I use it pretty much for everything, lips, cuticles, top of my cheeks which cry for some relief in a bone dry air of my office, sore nose during a cold, even elbows or small eczema patches (I have a stubborn one near my elbow) that emerge suddenly because of dry air indoors.

Excellent product that makes winter much more bearable and does not cost a fortune. Organic ingredients are a bonus.

on 7/17/2014 2:22:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I've been a high end junkie for 15 years... Don't get me wrong, I still am. But now I'm a drug store junkie, too. My wallet isn't any better off. Oh well, my skin is happy. I very recently decided to try the Boots skincare line, Botanics in particular, since I've been using natural or at least nature-based skincare for some time now...Caudalie, Korres, Jurlique, Josie Maran, Boscia, Fresh, Etc. Well, I also read a couple of nice reviews about these products specifically, this and the oil. I was a little skeptical about the greasy texture of the balm, which is indeed Vaseline-like, if not a teeny bit more firm and gritty. But I slather it all over my face, pre- or post-makeup, before bed, anytime I'm feeling a little or a lot dry (which right now is ALL the time. Love it. Very faint scent which dissipates quickly, balm sinks in and doesn't feel greasy, have had no breakouts, and immediately after applying, fine lines and dry spots are gone, wrinkles are smoother. Wish the jar were a little more cute but the product and the jar are incredibly utilitarian, it fits right in my makeup bag. Oh, I love to mix a little oil in with this sometimes, too!

on 4/26/2014 1:17:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This stuff is great for someone who has extremely sensitive skin like I do. I react from almost everything i put on my face and i use a tiny amount of this for moisture after washing my face (tiny because too much makes your face greasy) and it doesnt burn or itch or break me out! The jar is small but for the small amount needed it goes a long way! Love this!!

Hair: Blond, Other, Fine

I love love love this stuff. I mix it with facial oil every night and my skin ends up incredibly hydrated by morning! My boyfriend constantly comments on how soft my face feels now

on 2/20/2014 7:03:00 PM

Best cuticle balm ever.:) I know it's a face balm, but I'd call it a multi-purpose product. I've been using Burt's Bees Lemon cuticle butter at night, but it's smell was too overpowering, so I bought this one for the same purpose and it's amazing! Only downside is that the new packaging looks so cheap, shitty plastic. The old glass one with aluminum lid (as on the photo) was much more luxurious... They also changed the texture a bit and fortunately it's got better than the old one, as it's a bit softer and easier spreadable. All in all, it's a great product, I'd recommend it to everyone, at least as a cuticle butter...

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Warm

Boots does it again, another item that is HG for my dry/sensitive skin. Seriously Boots Botanics is the business!

This balm has a similar consistency to coconut oil, it is "solid" in the jar, but once you rub it between your fingers it turns into more of an oil. BTW do not feel concerned because it feels "gritty" at first, this is how certain oils are in texture before being warmed. I know because I replace all butter in my baking with coconut oil.

The ingredients are 95% organic and certified, which is a shock for the price point (under 10$ and currently on sale on target.com and in their stores).

The balm doesn't have much of a scent, and I prefer to use this at night because your skin is renewing and repairing itself at night so your skin is more able to absorb the moisture this provides, plus it makes me hella shiny you could literally fry foods on my face lol. Skin needs oil, especially dry skin since we lack the ability to provide our own oils which in turn ages those of use with dry skin much faster than our oily counterparts.

I use this product at night. I cleanse my face with CeraVe Hydrating Facial Cleanser,follow up with Avalon Organics Hydrating Toner (I only tone my face every 2-3 days, based on my skins needs), Rub this lovely balm between my fingers to warm it until the "grits" are gone and I slather this on my face, then I follow up with Boots Botanics Facial Oil to lock in the moisture. This balm does not break me out another plus. I go to sleep an oily mess (my boyfriend loves to make oily face jokes lol), but
I wake up with renewed, moisturized, glowing skin. Then the jokes on him:)

I will be purchasing a back up, I hope Boots never discontinues this product or this line, it deserves a lot more press then it gets.

on 4/23/2013 11:51:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

Wanted to like this balm but it broke me out a bit and I disliked that it was too oily.
Besides that...
I apply it 30 minutes before bed under my eyes and sometimes on any dry flaky skin I have from my acne medication. I wake up with very nice soft skin.
Since I do think this breaks me out I only like to use this on my lips,elbows,knees or any bad flaking on my face and it does the job.

on 2/4/2013 7:42:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

My husband picked this up when he couldn't find my serum. It is thick, heavy, and aggravated the acne a little. BUT I was severely chapped, in pain, and nearly in tears after another product, and this was a miracle cure! It is amazing if you need a genuine balm. I've been using it since as a spot moisturizer. The trick to all of these products in this line is a little goes a long way.

on 1/7/2013 5:57:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Fine

On my dry-combination skin (dry cheeks&under eye, oily t-zone), this was too greasy. I could not use this anywhere on my face, not even on my dry areas, no matter how little I used, because it wouldn't sink into my skin properly. It also broke me out, even though I only left it on my face for about 15 mins after which I washed it off because my skin felt so clogged. I tried using it again on my face 2-3 times with the same results.
I did find a use for this though - it's a great organic lip balm! It feels a bit grainy and oily at first, but if you just use a tiny bit it will sink in and leave your lips plump and soft.
Also good for elbows and knees, although I think it's too expensive to use it on those areas.
Would I repurchase for the lip balm use? Only if I ever find it on offer, otherwise coconut oil would work about the same, for example, at a fraction of the price.
PS: The correct image for this product is the second one!

Popular Moisturizers