November 27, 2014 | 1548 users online

Polishes - Sephora - Sephora by OPI- Dear Diary...

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 7/29/2013 5:52:00 PM More reviews by DENF

The worst application I have experienced. It is just a streaky mess no matter how it is applied. I found a nearly identical color in the regular OPI line, Mimosas for Mr and Mrs that applies like all of the other OPI polishes. I returned this sucker. Now I see Sephora has the line on sale for $4.50. Can't imagine why. Considering you can order OPI shades for $5-$6, I see no reason to pay $9.50 for the Sephora OPI shades, especially if this shade is typical of the quality.

rated 3 of 5 on 5/14/2013 7:39:00 PM More reviews by quarantine

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

I love this color, but the other reviewers are spot on about it being absolutely terrible in terms of application. It goes on super streaky and I had to apply 4 (!) coats before I would say it looked decent, 5 for it to look good. (I don't know if I'm doing something wrong, maybe I need a special base coat, but even with 5 coats it isn't completely opaque in some spots). Giving it a 3 because I really do love the color...

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 3/21/2013 3:37:00 PM More reviews by tabloid

The color of this polish is very pretty, kind of a milky pale ballerina pink, but the application is pretty bad. It goes on streaky and uneven, no matter how slowly and how carefully I apply it.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/22/2012 8:21:00 PM More reviews by Maurie97

Just bought this polish today and used it. Rimmel base/top coat and then 4 (yes4) coats of Dear Diary. Its a tricky polish but I find most of these type pinks/sheers are. This one is sheer only in the beginning and builds to opaque. Its a pretty pink with the slightest bit of peach in there. Not bubble gum pink. It looks ok on my fair skin as well, but I was hoping for something more on the sheer side. I may keep this one but will not buy it again. Sephora by OPI should not be priced quite this high. The quality is not "that" great to be charging so much. I don't hate this polish and it looks nice, but 4 coats......ugh! It will probably be dry in 2 days.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/15/2011 5:53:00 PM More reviews by angellove1705

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine Eyes: Blue

This is a weird polish. It is a great color and I actually find looks good with my fair skin. It applies so so. I find I can usually get by with three coats as long as I have buffed my nails smooth prior. The biggest problem is the polish itself. This polish goes on very thick. I thought it was just me, but I am seeing a lot of others mentioning the same thing. This is not something I usually experience with OPI polishes so I suspect it is just the Sephora by OPI polishes. I would love this polish if it had a better formula. I think if it was thinner this would be wonderful.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 12/28/2010 12:27:00 PM More reviews by jillirific

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I saw this on a friend and really liked it. However, I just put it on - what a friggin' nightmare. So, so, so streaky. I put on 4 coats (required to get any amount of opacity) and you can still see the streaks. So disappointed in this as it looks like such a pretty colour in the bottle but it just does not translate well at all. I am extremely pale and this looks bad on me - way too bright/light. Too expensive to be so crappy. So bummed about this, I hope I can return it.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 12/26/2010 2:31:00 PM More reviews by jessmarie09

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is the most difficult nail polishes to put on. It is incredibly streaky and looks like pink white out. I have used it a number of ways. First, I tried it without a base--awful. Then I purchased a very expensive sticky base which works wonders on my other nail polishes...but not this one. It is awful awful awful. I hate it! In the garbage (or maybe I can return it?). This was not a cheap product. Awful.

rated 2 of 5 on 10/12/2010 4:45:00 PM More reviews by sabsprincess

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

I didn't really like this very much... It's not really sheer, it has a weird opacity so it looks white on my nails. It's kinda streaky and it makes my skin look a bit washed out. It just isn't my favorite. Too bad that I have two full bottles of it...

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/23/2010 7:39:00 PM More reviews by ashleyanders

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

- Skip down to 'Final Consensus' for short summary of overall thoughts on product -

What it Claims:
"Sephora by OPI Nail Colour, a line of 54+ trend-setting shades, puts the final touch on fingertips and toes with a top-quality formula you have come to expect from OPI. The long-lasting, chip-resistant polish ensures flawless results with each application, and its green ingredient list excludes DBP, toluene, and formaldehyde."

Claims - True or False?
1) Long-Lasting: True.
2) Chip-resistant: False.
3) Flawless results with each application: False.

Packaging:
As the packaging is quite similar to the original OPIs, I will simply compare.
The caps are a smooth, matte black with a slight grit for grip. The Sephora by OPI caps are rounded off unlike the original OPIs, and I find that this roundness makes for a more comfortable gripping. The shapes of the bottles are more or less the same, but the Sephora by OPI bottles are more rounded. The smoothness of the shape is similar to that of China Glaze polishes. The Sephora by OPI brushes are much smaller than the originals, which I find offers better control and less streaking. With the original OPI pro-wide brush, I always end up with streaks, and with the creams it's almost impossible to apply.
Aesthetically, I find that it looks better, especially with the typography, and functionally, I prefer the Sephora by OPI bottles to the originals.

Consistency:
On the thicker side, compared to a lot of the polishes in this line. It's quite sheer, and generally takes 3+ coats to get opaque coverage, and even then it's not 100% opaque. I find it looks best when using only one coat, as it is barely streaky (or at least not that noticeable), however it's also terribly sheer with one coat and doesn't really add much colouring to the nail. It does dry pretty quickly, but can remain gummy for some time. I find that the sheen of the polish also wears away very fast - this I do not mind, as I prefer the way it looks with less sheen. I find that when applied over freshly buffed nails, it applies a lot smoother and will leave less "naked" spots on the nail.

Ease of Use:
The most difficult Sephora by OPI polish to work with out of the 7 I own. Applying the first layer isn't that difficult, but applying the other coats to attain an opaque finish can be a pain in the ass. It definitely applies better on buffed nails, in which case applying each coat is much easier. Removing it is also a pain, even though it does not contain glitter. Not my favourite for application and use, but I do enjoy the end results.

Bang for your Buck:
At $9.00USD for 15mL, I find that the price is quite a bargain when compared to other non-drug store brands. I paid around $12.00CAD for the polish, which is a few dollars more expensive than the original OPIS. However, I find that because the Sephora by OPI formula is thinner, less would be used up. I also prefer the formula of the Sephora line to the originals, so paying a few extra bucks really doesn't bother me. If there is a colour that you really want to try out, I'd say that it's a good price for a good quality polish. Try them out on clean nails in a Sephora location though, as not all of them will apply the same.

Final Consensus:
This is a very pretty baby pink shade that compliments my skin tone moderately well. Not the best formula-wise, but it provides decent results. If you are looking for a light pink creme polish, give it a try, but for the price and quality you can definitely find better. I will potentially repurchase if I am unable to find a dupe with better quality.
- Pros: Flattering and pretty shade, well-priced, small brush is easy to work with,
- Cons: Somewhat streaky, can be difficult to apply nicely, wears away quickly, can chip.

Overall Rating: 3/5
Price: 2/5
Packaging Quality: 3/5
Would you buy this product again: Yes.

rated 2 of 5 on 3/14/2010 7:24:00 PM More reviews by kelseyclinton

I find that none of the Sephora OPI light colors go on well, Dear Diary was no exception. Not only does it take many coats to get the desired color it also chips very easily. The only color in this collection I'm crazy about is B.Y.O.Boy, its a mauvy/red. It is a fantastic color (it still tends to chip easily if you don't have a good top coat). I would be willing to try more of the darker colors in the collection, but for my light spring colors I'm turning to another brand.