September 1, 2014 | 1969 users online

Brows - Shu Uemura - Brow Pencil

rated 5 of 5 on 12/29/2013 2:08:00 PM More reviews by Gigibri

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Don't look any further. Don't waste money on any other (I never tried that Japanese one Lisa Eldridge loves though). This is simply perfect. Not to notice, perfect fine lines just the right amount, thickness, shape. You can't overdue it, draw wrongly, get visible lines or broad, harsh ones, the 'hardness' and the shape and the for you right color makes it 'the one 'n only'. Keep in mind even if it seems you're wasting a lot of product by getting it sharpened that special way, it's just so worth it and anyhow to me this pencil seems to last forever.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/17/2013 7:25:00 AM More reviews by littlemj

NC25 Chinese, more black than brown hair as lightened by the AZ sun.

I didn't like Seal Brown 02 at first, b/c I was so heavy handed.. I'd get these brown floating brows. Once I lightened it up, it looks much more natural and giving away my Lioele Auto Eyebrow #3.

It will take 1.5million years to finish this pencil, but who cares.. next time I'm in Asia.. I'm going to get the Grey version (?) for comparison.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/2/2013 5:55:00 AM More reviews by Gossers

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

So in love with this product!! It's perfect for black haired brows. The beauty of this pencil is that with just a few light strokes, you can build up your brows. The result is a very natural and full looking set of brows! Also, I've been using this product for 5 months and still haven't sharpened it. I can imagine this long pencil lasting for a few years--at least!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/28/2013 5:40:00 AM More reviews by Angeline

Age: Unknown Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

My brows have never been very full or bushy but were always neat and 'there' enough, so I never bothered to use anything on them. Unfortunately as I grow older, they are on the verge of disappearing so I've finally been forced to colour them in:(

I love the Seal Brown pencil and keep one in my handbag for emergencies. The plastic cap is a problem though as it has dropped off a couple of times and left a stain in my bag....but the colour is perfect and very natural. Other brands in brown tend to look reddish on me, but the Seal Brown matches really well with my dark brown hair. Also, the formula is great and firm, without being scratchy. The ends of my eyebrows are now non existent, but I can draw them in gently with this pencil and my little 'tail' stays put unlike some other powders. (The Chanel Le Sourcil powder stays on the entire day but that's another review)
Definite repurchase!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/28/2013 5:43:00 AM More reviews by sonshinex3

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I am one of the lucky Asians that naturally have very full brows. I normally don't need to fill them in but the beginning of my brows are just empty. Using powder makes it look really unnatural and all the eyebrow pencils I've tried so far makes me look like there are two caterpillars living on my face.

My mom came back from Korea with two shu uemura eyebrow pencils and gave me seal brown. I was skeptical of it because of the way the pencil tip looked when it was given to me. ....don't always judge a book by its cover. Ever.

By the way, I've dyed my hair sometime ago and in the sun it looks very brown with highlights in it.

When I put seal brown on the beginning of my eyebrows, it looks a little weird. Once I make the rest my eyebrows look similar to each other, I take a q-tip and soften the beginnings. It looks very natural if I do it this way. It's really hard to overdo your eyebrows with this pencil.

It's been a year since I've used this and it is amazing. I've only went to the counter once to sharpen this and it was only about a month ago when it happened.. I think this would work very well with those who have sparse eyebrows. Remember if you think it looks harsh take a spoolie or a q-tip to soften the look. Love this shizz and will continue to use it!!!! I recommend it!!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/23/2013 7:20:00 PM More reviews by tigerlily217

I love using powder for my brows as you can't overdo it and it looks very natural. I wanted to give pencils a try again because there are times I prefer a more sharper and defined look to my brows.

I must agree with everybody else. This is basically fool proof and it's hard to mess up or have it look too dark. Currently using Stone Grey and it looks like my brows but a whole lot better. Lasts all day and gives me the definition I need that powder can't achieve. Definitely recommend this to anybody looking for a good brow pencil! Especially if you're just starting out. I was skeptical because I tend to always be the odd one whom doesn't enjoy the hyped products but I can guarantee you won't regret it!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/19/2013 3:46:00 AM More reviews by styra

I really love this pencil. It lasts forever and the shade and texture is just right! It's not too intense but it can be if you add more force during application. This can last over a year. A little troublesome is the way you have to sharpen it. You can't use a normal sharpener, you've got to shave it. But you can always take it to the counter and they'll do it for you for free. Shu Uemura's products have always been very pricey outside Japan.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/19/2013 10:15:00 PM More reviews by SweetTartx3

I just got this brow pencil yesterday and can already say that it is my HG! I have very sparse asian eyebrows, over the past year i have tried almost every brow pencil on the market, i even tried powder and nothing looks as natural as the shu uemura one. Yes its expensive for a pencil but you get a very very long one, so i think im good for up to 2 years with this. So if youre looking to fill in your brows with a natural finish GET THIS!!! You will not regret it!

rated 2 of 5 on 1/26/2013 8:40:00 PM More reviews by zookeepered

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Other Eyes: Black

I really, really wanted to love this pencil. Like everyone's already said, the application is easy, it stays in place, it's hard to overdo it, and it lasts forever. All good points that I agree with. I was really hoping this would take away the need for me to ever buy another brow product. The reason for the less than perfect score? The pencil oxidized on my skin.

The Sephora in my area has it available in Seal Brown and Stone Grey. The first time I tried seal brown it looked reddish on me, so I tried the stone grey instead, expecting an ashy taupe colour - but it turned completely red on me! It was actually very strange, even the Sephora rep said he's never seen this happen before - I believe his exact word choice was "that's trippy". We both watched in fascinated horror as a swatch of stone grey - perfectly ashy on his hand - quickly turned red on mine!

Something about the formulation just didn't work with my body chemistry, and no matter what shade it was supposed to be, it always turned red on my skin. I don't think it's the pencil's faultů it wouldn't be the first thing that's oxidized on my skin. I just wanted to put this out there that it does happen, and let people know that especially for those of you with oily skin, it's best to try this first before buying. And if you find it looks to reddish for you, it might be oxidizing, and in that case changing shades won't necessarily help. If you are unfortunate like me, I would suggest to try Anastasia's brow pencils instead, I didn't have oxidization issues with their Medium Ash shade.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/29/2012 7:33:00 PM More reviews by xBl0cPartyx

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

Absolute HG brow material.
I started off with this brow pencil in Stone Grey but later on bought Sound Black when I died my hair black. The SA recommended Grey because my hair was blondish-brown at the time. To be honest, I was afraid of going for black because I'm terrified of the drawn on/stamped on/drag queen brow look. I prefer my MU to look very natural. I really don't want sharp, crisp and obvious definition and that's why I was too scared of buying the black one. However, there was nothing to be scared about. Both Stone Grey and Sound Black provide extremely natural brows. I have sparse brows, especially towards the tail end. I find that this gives just the right amount of colour and it's impossible to over do this. It takes quite a few strokes of the pencil to build up colour so you can get the desired intensity level you want without suddenly ruining your brows by pressing too hard or whatever. My brows look SOOO natural yet fuller and I'm able to frame my face with this pencil. I manage to look 10x better with this product. I can now also fulfil my dreams of black hair, dark brows and red lips :D I was too afraid to fill in my brows before I got this pencil (even though I knew I desperately needed to) because I was just soooo afraid of them looking too out of place and obvious. This makes it a breeze, it's fool proof, even for brow novices like me.
If you have a freshly cleansed face then this might take a little while to show up on your brows because the pencil works by reacting with the oils on the hair for colour pay off - according to the SA. I find it shows up a lot if you apply moisturiser on and around your brows. So if you've just washed your face, this may not show up on you for a while. It is not waxy so if you have long eyebrow hairs, either trim them or use clear mascara to keep them in place.
I find the Japanese sharpening interesting. It is optional and I got it done at the Shu counter when I first bought the pencil in Stone Grey. It is shaped like a dagger - they cut off the point of the pencil and then shave off the sides so the pencil has flat sides and looks like a knife. You can go and get this re-done when needed at the Shu counter. When I purchased Sound Black, I asked for a pencil with standard sharpening. However, I think I prefer Japanese sharpening. It does waste product but to be honest with the length of the pencil, you can afford a little wastage. I find the Japanese sharpening more convenient when it comes to doing my brows. I can tell that this is going to last me an extremely long time. I have used my new black one about 5 times and the point is still very sharp. I am considering snapping a bit off the pencil to carry it around with me for touch ups. I can afford to do that because the pencil is very long.
If you are looking for sharp, ultra defined brows, then this is not for you.

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No