July 25, 2014 | 1949 users online

Treatments (Face) - Hydrocortisone Cream

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 on 3/16/2014 2:32:00 PM More reviews by hotdamnitsjess

A week ago I switched to the Vaseline Intesive Mositure cream for a face cream, upon reading rave reviews on here. Unfortunately for me, it broke me out incredibly bad - to a point I've never seen my skin react!

I had small bumps all across my face- tzone, cheeks, jawline, forehead - you name it. I was trying to use acne medicine to keep these bumps down but nothing work. I asked a doctor friend of mine what he thought, and it was then I realized I was experiencing an allergic reaction, and not an acne breakout. He then told me to pick up a tube of this and take some benadryl. Within one day my skin started to heal incredibly much. This is the third day I've been putting this on my face, and it looks as if the allergic reaction never happened!!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/25/2014 5:31:00 PM More reviews by Blueeyes248

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

I originally began using hydrocortisone cream because I have cats and if they accidentally scratch me or I scratch myself after petting my cats, my skin gets red, itchy, and ridiculous. So I keep this stuff around and after washing my hands thoroughly, I apply it to the affected area and it stops the itching instantly.

Also, I recently read somewhere that hydrocortisone cream can be used on acne to take down the swelling. Sometimes I get the kind of pimples that are under the skin and just hurt to touch. When that happens, I apply some of this stuff maybe once a twice a day for a few days. It really reduces the swelling and pain, and since I don't feel the need to pop or pick at it to try to alleviate the pressure, it reduces the healing time too. I wouldn't apply this stuff all over your face for preventative measures as I've heard it can cause breakouts, but if a big pimple pops up and it hurts, I don't see the harm in trying this.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/15/2013 12:27:00 PM More reviews by JayBB

Age: Unknown Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I use this on cystic acne. I don't use it if the zit already has a head on it. It sucks the inflammation out in a couple days. It's my miracle product, but I use it sparingly.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/6/2011 9:57:00 PM More reviews by andreinabarthly

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This product is great for rashes and eczema to clear up real fast. I must warn you though, I had a friend who had beautiful skin and I had remembered her telling me she used hydrocortisone on her face. So I decided I would try some as well and the first week my skin started to look amazing but please I warn you never ever use this on your face because after that week my face had looked destroyed. My skin looked uneven with red blotches. It also emphasized scars I had before and worst of all broke me out really bad! I have stopped using it in hopes that my skin will get back to it's normal state. It looks sooo bad right now and am ashamed. If you do want to use this for your face it works excellent for zits if you use as a spot treatment. I can almost guarantee you your zit will be almost gone the next day. Other then that never use this on your face it thins the skin and cause broken capillaries.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 11/26/2011 11:03:00 AM More reviews by JamaicanWhitie

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I had to use hydrocortisone prescribed by my doctor for an allergic reaction I had, so I used it for 6 days, and by then I had gotten a HUGE RAGING RED MONSTER CYST! The steroids in this will mess with your hormones so treat carefully and if you notice a breakout after this, then you will know where it came from.
Just a warning.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/13/2011 11:15:00 AM More reviews by TeeCube

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I was prescribed 2.5% hydrocortisone cream by my doctor for an itchy place on my body that has since cleared up. I had a residual cystic acne bump on my chin for weeks, so I applied a tiny bit of the cream on it and by morning IT WAS ALMOST GONE. This works wonders on pimples, like a direct costisone shot would from a dermatologist (which I used to receive). My tube doesn't expire until 2014 and you only need the tiniest amount, so this'll last quite a while. This thing is that you can only get this strength from a prescription, and the cortisone cream you can buy over the counter at the drugstore does almost nothing compared to this. I'm treating my Rx tube like gold and have squirted a teeny bit into an empty small Bobbi Brown jar, because too much tends to squeeze out of the tube, then I can apply just the right amount to any spot without wasting any. It is absolutely amazing stuff.

rated 2 of 5 on 9/1/2011 3:09:00 AM More reviews by judywapner

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

This was prescribed to me by my doctor. I have very dark under eye circles and this past fall they became even darker than they normally are, and it looked like there was blood right under the skin above my eye. My dr told me it was due to allergies and I should take Benedryl or Allegra etc and apply the hydrocortizone cream to the affected area.

It DID clear it up and I actually used it all over my face at one point, because the area around my eye seemed to be more "healthy" looking after using it. I had mildly red skin and the hydrocortizone seemed to help it.

I did some research online and what the cream can do over time is THIN your skin, which is BAD BAD BAD for undereye circles and facial skin. I read that this cream should NEVER be applied on the face! I stopped using it, but thankfully it had already worked. Hopefully this fall I'll only need the allergy medication because I will never put this on my face again!

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 5/2/2010 1:21:00 PM More reviews by Chattnchick3

I bought this awesome product from Target. I read in Glamour magazine that you can apply hydrocortisone to your flaky dry hands and it will help heal them. I figured why not and I ran out to buy some. My tube is 2 oz and I payed about $3 for it. Its a squeeze tube and the cap is sturdy. The cream is a milky color and it spreads like frozen butter on your hands. BUT it works. I put gloves on and after 15 minutes I took them off and BAM! nice smooth hands. I will buy this again if I ever run out. :)c

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/12/2009 3:04:00 PM More reviews by Ceci2468

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I use the 2.5% prescription hydrocortisone cream. I have seborrheic dermatitis and this cream is a must have (my SD can get really bad). I have SD on my scalp, face, in ears and in my nose. I've controlled my scalp and face with other products (see my notepad) but need this cream for inside my ears and nose. I only use it once a week and that usually works. My son has eczema and this also works great for that. Since it is a steroid, I try to minimize my use. It can be expensive without insurance but I make sure that one tube lasts me over a year. A little bit goes a long way.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/5/2009 7:47:00 PM More reviews by gingerrama

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Other, Fine Eyes: Green

A.k.a. corticosteroid cream. For topical application, as opposed to the version for oral administration. This is a review for a number of non-prescription, over-the-counter pharmacy own-brand creams, as well as branded versions. They tend to be more or less the same; strengths vary from 0.5 to 2.5%, roughly; stronger available on prescription.

Main use: calming skin irritation due to allergic (over-)reaction. As an immunosuppressant. For further information on how this all works, a good start would be the "cortisol" entries in Wikipedia and on medical sites c/o Google. For further information on side-effects and contra-indications, look up "corticosteroid."

Uses: on skin, to calm a range of skin irritations. Spots / zits that might be all manner of things, and easily blanket-labelled as "acne". Insect bites. Apply to the affected area only (i.e. not all over you face/head/self), only a teeny dot, in a very thin layer. Pat in. Some recommend rubbing it in, but this may or may not possible depending on how irritated the skin is. It is usually recommended that hydrocortisone cream be used for a short time only, as an emergency treatment, due to the side-effects from long-term steroid use (NB this is different from taking tonnes of body-building type steroids!).

Other ingredients may include white soft paraffin, cetostearyl alcohol, liquid paraffin - and other waxes and emollients - and water. continued >>

16 out of 16 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No