Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne Wash

2.8

Active: Salicylic Acid (2%), Other: Water, Sodium C14-16 Olefin Sulfonate, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Extract, Cocamidopropyl PG-Dimonium Chloride Phosphate, Propylene Glycol, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract, Anthemis Nobilis Flower Extract, C12-15 Alkyl Lactate, PEG-80 Sorbitan Laurate, Disodium EDTA, Benzalkonium Chloride , Yellow 5, Red 40, Fragrance 07/2013

I have very acne prone skin and I have tried almost every acne product out there (including expensive ass proactive) just for nothing to work.
this product was no exception either. It dried out my skin and did nothing for my acne. The one thing that it did was make my acne flaky and more irritated and It broke me out even more.

I gave this 4's all across the board. I ended up briefly explaining my skincare routine, so if you don't want to read that, I'll section it off for you. Regarding this product specifically, I find it's a nice balance of cleansing and non-drying. Definitely not hydrating, but I don't expect that of my cleansers. It's wiidely available and it's very reasonably priced. I would probably buy the dollar store generic if I had dollar stores closer to me.

I'm coming from a chem perspective and I don't have any anecdotal evidence besides my own so maybe keep that in mind.

It's a fairly effective cleanser without being overly harsh: I water it down 1:3 and keep it in a little squeeze bottle on my sink. At this concentration, I pour enough to fill the well in my palm, quickly rub my hands together and apply it to my face. This gets enough product on that I can cleanse my face and neck without stripping every last molecule of oil off - but my face is clean.

And diluting it like this means it probably lasts at least three times as long, right?

Don't bother buying this for the salicylic acid. As I'm sure a lot of you know, it doesn't come in contact with your skin long enough to do anything at all. I prefer a toner (with alcohol as well as silicones) for my salicylic acid. Then moisturizer one, pause, moisturizer two.

I'll admit, I look a bit oily when first applied, but at the end of the day, assuming I haven't applied anything but my moisturizers, one wash (as opposed to double cleansing) with this at 1:3 and I'm ready for my night cream.

In case you're interested in what this review resulted in: a brief overview of my skincare routine... in the morning, if I'm in a hurry, I just use the alcohol-based toner with the moisturizers built in and use just one layer of lotion and I'm good.

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

Speaking from my personal experience, Cetaphil and Neutrogena's Oil Free Acne Wash has been nothing but disaster for my facial skin. Good for those whom it worked for, but for my friends who suffers from acne and eczema, I just want to warn you guys so you won't have to experience what I have went through.

I started having acne 5 years ago and after visiting an aesthetician for facial, she recommended me to use Cetaphil's gentle skin cleanser. At first, it seemed like it wasn't doing anything bad to my skin, but I always had to go back for facial regularly for extraction to which I thought was normal as I was going through puberty.

It was a cycle I thought I was doomed to. I would go for facial at the start of every month, have a red face for the rest of the first week, enjoy clean looking skin for the second, start to see white and blackheads form on the third, suffer from breakouts on the fourth and go for facial again.

3 years later, something worse happened. I started having eczema!! My skin was constantly dry, flaky and red and I tried many moisturizers only to make my acne worst. During that period (I think 6 months), I started going for facials every 2 weeks and those pimples were deep and left nasty marks. My confidence was at pit bottom and I stayed at home most of the time. I even took medical leaves to escape going to work.

It only came under control after my visit to a dermatologist who prescribed me some cream. But my eczema would constantly come back and I had to bring the cream where ever I go just in case.

A few months back, I read online and saw that facial cleansers with salicylic acid may help with acne so I went to buy Neutrogena's Oil Free Cleanser. Although it did to help keep my acne under control, it dried out my skin like HELL. My whole face was FLAKING. It was like having scales! It was the worst decision. So I went back to cetaphil and guess what? Acne and eczema came back again.. I was desperate and thought all hopes were lost until my aesthetician recommended me babor's 2 in one gel cleanser.

Although it was relatively expensive for a cleanser, it really worked for me. My face is healing everyday and recently. I don't even have to use those creams any more. My skin never looked so good for a long time. Furthermore, although it's pricey, each bottle lasts longer than those cleansers you get over the counter so if you compare it, it's really the same.

I won't usually give reviews online but I really want to save people with the same problem as me because I know how it feels. People like us don't get clean skin from just washing with plain water and we have to put in a little extra effort to find the right product. If you visit this site you will see Cetaphil is made up of mostly comedogenic ingredients (http://www.caryskincare.com/acnecomedogeniclist.html) so PLEASE, help yourself. My advise is to invest in a better cleanser recommended by your dermatologist or aesthecian instead of using OTC products but of course, check out the ingredients before you get it. All the best guys.

I liked this at first; it worked well to control my breakouts, but made my skin feel very tight and itchy after washing. I would keep using but it's just too irritating. The only good thing is the packaging.

Skin: Oily, Medium Brown, Cool

Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse

I am currently half way through a bottle of this cleanser and have been using it for the last two months. I think this cleanser is good. It is not irritating to my skin, has a nice foam, is fairly inexpensive and effective. I have oily, acne-prone skin and deal with hyperpigmentation. I use a full pump of this cleanser with my Clarisonic. They work really well in together. I like that it is easy to find, has salicylic acid to deep cleans pores and is affordable.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Other

This thing is my saviour! My skin hasn't felt this good in such a long time. My face is less oily and less spotty so happy. Recommend.

Skin: Dry, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Other, Straight, Medium

A big fail from the usually reliable neutrogena. I tried this multiple times when my skin was an oil slick with acne in full force and it did more harm than good. It was extremely drying which painfully irritated my skin even worse than the breakouts, and it took a long time to repair my skin barrier (and only then did the acne start clearing up). If I had been more educated at the time about how important moisture balance and a healthy skin barrier is, I would have recognised after one use that this stuff is way too strong and stripping to help. People who are plagued by persistent acne will understand how a desperate person will keep trying anything in pursuit of clearer skin, and unfortunately I fell for the buzz words and sensible marketing, multiple timestimes! It also stung my eyes like a mofo. I'd sooner put the liquid soap on my face than this now. It's that bad. Sorry.

I struggled for over a decade with acne and I'd recommend going with a more gentle cleanser and balancing moisturiser to keep the skin barrier happy, and then target acne with specialised treatment products that contain active ingredients like a benzyl peroxide (5-10%) spot treatment as needed and regularly use a chemical exfoliant like salicylic acid to clean out the pores and encourage cell turnover (make sure the pH is between 3-4 to be effective). I'm not a dermatologist but after all the struggling with harsh products like this, that's what worked for me.

Of course, your milage may vary, and if you have very hardy skin this cleanser might not be so bad. Patch test everything first! Obviously acne doesn't magically solve itself overnight and you can use a lot of good products for a month or two before seeing real results, but I think if something is irritating your skin to feeling so tight and leathery it's trying to crawl off your face for the rest of the day, like this little guy did to me, stop using it. /rant

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

I tried this cleanser once back when my acne was at full force in high school, I had been switching from one cleanser to the next pretty much every other month trying to make the breakouts stop.

I tried this one which didn't seem to have a strong enough formula to properly help my skin, my skin is very oily and acne prone which this is great to help with the oily factor but ended up drying my cheeks and nose out too much.

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Cool

After trying this I decided to get a prescription because it did absolutely nothing.

This product worked wonderful for me as a teenager. I am 24 now and since I remembered loving it before I figured I would give it another try. Big mistake! It made my face dry and super irritated. If you are a teen or have oily skin that isn't sensitive it make work for you though.