September 17, 2014 | 1263 users online

Sunscreen - Cliniderm - Gentle Protective Lotion SPF 45

rated 2 of 5 on 7/2/2014 12:36:00 AM More reviews by nekkun

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

Oh man, where to start... I bought this in May 2014, back when I was in my "physical" sunscreen phase. Physical sunscreens only contain titanium/zinc oxide so are potentially less irritating. This stuff was nice because it didn't give my face a white cast; it's tinted yellow so it's easy to blend in. However, this sunscreen completely dried my face out, especially around my nose and cheeks. Without fail, I would be flaking an hour later. Bummer. Sure I'm protecting myself from the sun, but do I have to shed skin everywhere as well?

Because this was a failure for my face, I've been experimenting with using it on my neck/chest. Nope. My chest is SO DRY and the skin feels thin and...sanpapery. My neck seems to be turning like that as well. I don't know what is irritating me in this but I won't be using it anymore. I should be happy cause it was over $30 at Shoppers, haha.

The best thing about this was it smelled like marzipan/almonds to me. That was nice. :P

rated 5 of 5 on 2/6/2014 9:46:00 PM More reviews by shandwork

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Great product for Rosacea, effective without any irritation.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 11/26/2012 9:41:00 PM More reviews by joyousjoy88

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This is great for those with sensitive and dry skin. This did not irritate my face nor did it dry it out. It always works very well under makeup. It has a slight yellow tint to it which I prefer over white as it can lead to a white cast but this doesn't at all. If you have oily skin this would make a good everyday sunscreen/moisturizer. But if you have dry skin you may want to add a layer of moisturizer. The downsides to this is it is pricey at about $29 (approx. don't recall exact price). Why I rate it low for me, is that although it is labelled non-comodegenic, it broke me out. I looked at the ingredient list again and saw two highly comodegenic ingredients: Cetearyl Alcohol and Cetyl Alcohol. Doing my research (as I am acne prone) these two ingredients are highly clogging and should avoid if acne prone. Though everyone's skin is different. This product didn't work for me, unfortunately.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 11/19/2012 1:41:00 PM More reviews by shi1

I bought this sunscreen for use on the face. I needed something that would not clog my pores, was non-greasy, would not burn my skin and did not have that horrible sunscreen odour. I was very happy that it met all of the above criteria, however, the downside is that it was very drying for my skin. It is unscented, has a matte finish and does not leave a white cast. I have since switched to Clarins UV Plus HP which meets all of the above criteria but does not dry my skin out. I also prefer the texture and scent of the Clarins one so I will not be switching back.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/1/2012 5:26:00 PM More reviews by nguyen8733

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I have combination, sensitive, acne prone skin and this sunscreen doesn't cause me to itch or breakout so far. I've been using it for over a year. The consistency is very light and it absorbs through the skin immediately.

rated 3 of 5 on 9/8/2012 3:51:00 PM More reviews by ForeverButterfly

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Curly, Other Eyes: Brown

I bought this sunscreen over the summer because my previous one was finished (different brand). It caught my interest since it catered to sensitive, dry and reactive skin.

There was no horrible reaction when I applied it and left my face smooth. It has no greasy feeling and takes only a few seconds to be absorbed. It has a nice matte finish that works well with makeup. No pimples developed on my skin too or was there any bad reactions with the hormonal ones I had.

It is formulated without the harsh parabens, dyes, lanolin and proteins. No perfumey scent. It's light orange in colour but it does not show on skin.

Even though it's SPF 45, I think it's not suited for the bright summer days. Mostly great for slight overcast days. I would only wear it early in the morning, from 11am to 4pm when the sun is stronger, I used a better sunscreen.

Price: $28 CDN
Timed used: 6 months
Would I buy this again? No, because even though there were some positive reactions, I had to get a better sunscreen. As I previously stated I only used it in the early mornings and needed to finish it.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/7/2012 12:32:00 AM More reviews by Pandora7

**update April 2014****

I still use this with no issues. It's not as drying to my skin now, and I no longer use rosehip oil. It's HG status for me, mostly because it doesn't freak my skin out, and it's easy for me to find up here in Canada. The only other physical I've found has been the Aveeno baby one, and it's far too chalky and thick. I strayed a few times to try LRP and Avene sunscreens that had great reviews, and I honestly can't be bothered to keep trying new chemical sunscreens, since I seem to have a dermal reaction to each one. My face is pretty clear for the first time in 10 years, and I think I need to just be careful with products I use in order to keep it clear from now on. I do wish they made a body sunscreen, because I have noticed that chemical sunscreen from the neck down will now cause me to get a papular rash, but it doesn't sting/burn the way it will on my face. I'd rather it be on my arms and back than on my face to be honest. I use this over my moisturizer in the morning (currently Vichy Normaderm, while I use search for something I like better), and under my pressed powder/cover up. It seems to work ok under pressed powder alone, but it's hit or miss with some foundations. Vichy Dermablend slides right off it within 4 hours, but I also have an oily T zone.

This is the first sunscreen I have used that has not given me a reaction. Chemical sunscreens have left my face oily, clogged, zitty or covered in burning, itchy, red papules.
This doesn't. I have been using daily on my face and neck for 2 months now and not only is it great under makeup, but it doesn't leave a white cast. (I can use chemical s/s on my body with no issue...weird!)

The only thing I've noticed is that this is mildy drying given the zinc. I apply rosehip oil to my neck prior to using, as it has been a bit dry, though my face is oily enough that it balances. I've had no issues using under my eyes either. What I will say is that when sweating excessively or swimming, you will need to reapply as needed. What I do like about physical s/s is the staying power. Often I just need a touch up here or there.
Will update in winter, as I suspect I will need a moisturizer with this, and since I use oils, I'm not sure how this will fare under makeup.
Despite the 30$ price where I live, I will repurchase.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 6/21/2012 12:13:00 PM More reviews by xkillerxcrushx

I love this sunscreen. It doesn`t break me out or irritate my skin or eyes and, most importantly, I like it enough to wear it every day. The packaging isn`t amazing. The hinge on the lid of one tube has snapped, and as with most squeeze tubes the opening gets crusted with product after a while. BUT that would never stop me from buying it, plus it`s easy to throw in my purse or work bag and has never leaked.
I can`t express how much I love this product! many sunscreens have broken me out and/or clogged my pores. It's such a relief to finally find something I can use.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/15/2012 10:41:00 AM More reviews by chididi5

Age: 44-55 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

After trying very hard to find a non poreclogging mineral sunscreen..and being unsuccessful..the sunscreens are passed on to my husband who doesn't have sensitive skin like I do..I tried cliniderm.Rexall Drugs in Canada puts samples into small bottles so you don't have to buy the large size without knowing how your skin will react.The cliniderm is wonderful! INo bumps, clogs,stingy red skin or breakouts! It looks great under makeup if you like the look of luminous,dewy skin!! Finally a mineral sunscreen that doesn't make me look fake! I highly recommend this sunscreen.! Perhaps it needs more advertising so others know about this gem!

rated 4 of 5 on 1/24/2012 10:50:00 PM More reviews by niikii

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

This sunscreen is really good for those who can not use chemical sunscreens as this one is a physical sunscreen. I have been using this product for two years and on my third or fourth bottle. This doesn't leave a white cast like many other physical sunscreen do, but may make your face slightly shinier than usual at first but it goes away. It also doesn't irritate my sensitive skin. However, for people with dry skin like me you must wear moisturizer underneath this as it will dry the heck out of your skin and may even burn. So I would suggest this for people with more oily skin. I have loved this sunscreen for a while but I think my skin is a little dryer than it was two years ago and this sunscreen just dries it out even more. So I will probably not purchase this a fifth time. Well I hope this was helpful. Good luck.