September 17, 2014 | 978 users online

Makeup Brushes - Coastal Scents - Brush Guards

image 0image 1image 2

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/16/2012 11:05:00 AM More reviews by heathermrm

I purchased 2 sets of these - one from Walmart called The BrushGuard and one from Amazon by Coastal Scents called the same thing in (if I remember correctly) almost identical packaging. Don't know if these 2 companies are related or if one bought out the other or what...regardless, both contained the identical products (albeit in different sizes because I purchased different size sets)

These work beautifully for drying my brushes upside down. I now store the brushes I am currently not using in these too (standing upright in a paintbrush holder similar to one I saw in one of EnKore's you tube videos).

The down side is that my thicker/denser brushes do not dry overnight if placed in one of these (example: Ecotools bronzer, any of my kabuki brushes), but that's OK - I dry upside down overnight and lay flat to dry rest of way next a.m. (I have backup brushes to use in the interim.)

I'm sure you can purchase the raw material product on ebay and cut to your own size requirements, but for me, this was way easier as I could get the variety of sizes I needed.

Recommend!

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 3/21/2012 4:48:00 PM More reviews by Beautyy

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I was excited to get these after seeing Michelle Phan's YouTube video using them. I honestly was disappointed and thought these were a complete waste of money. My brushes took double the time they normally do to dry & there was no difference at all in my brushes using these from when I dry them regularly.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/16/2011 6:53:00 PM More reviews by selena08

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is my first order from Coastal Scents and let first say, I Love all the things I ordered. My brush guard came missing one of the extra small guard. I contact them via email, and right away within one day they sent out a new package for me. The 88 pallet was great, all the colors are pigmented and nothing was broken. I am please with their customer service and I will definitely order from them again.

-l0ve

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/8/2010 1:57:00 PM More reviews by azraelle

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I added this to my basket when I was purchasing the HD foundation and Im so glad I did. This is a great way to let my brushes dry with the bristles down without ruining them. Also very usefull for travelling. I would recommend this to everyone if you want your brushes to live long =)

rated 5 of 5 on 5/24/2010 12:30:00 AM More reviews by olivia09

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I recently purchased the Variety Pack from Coastal Scents. They are made out of woven plastic, have stretch, and are decently breathable.

The plastic looks like it may fray after heavy use (ie. pulling on and off of brushes). There were 6 that came in a pack ranging in size from 1/4 inch (extra small) to 1 inch (large). Brush guards are about 4 inches long.

Washed my brushes, and slid the brush guards on from handle to bristle. They work amazing, I was able to dry my brushes bristle-down, while retaining original shape! They fit all my brushes accordingly. I will definitley repurchase when needed. =]

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/4/2009 2:32:00 AM More reviews by ruqayya33

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Green

For reference:

The POWDER/KABUKI size is about 1" wide and will fit most kabukis and large powder brushes.

The FOUNDATION size is about 5/8" wide and will fit brushes like the MAC 187, Studio Tools "skunk" brush or some of the long handled kabukis such as those by Everyday Minerals. (Those are the brushes I use this size for.)

The BLUSH size is about 3/8" wide and will fit most medium to small handled/headed blush and face brushes, such as the FT blush brush by Sonia Kashuk or BE's Soft Focus face brush.

The SHADOW/LINER size is about 1/4" wide and fits most small brushes.

******************************************************************************************************

I think these are great for travel and storage. Will keep brush heads from splaying and loosing shape. In the directions, they mention that you can/should also use them to dry your brushes. So far, I've only done this with a animal-hair fan brush that had some serious issues with curling. Otherwise, I prefer my brushes to dry a bit looser. (Does that make sense?) I don't think these will last forever, but they'll be fine for a while.

BTW, read the instruction notice before use. On YouTube, I've seen people sliding the guard from the HEAD DOWN to the HANDLE. That can cause bristles to splay!

rated 4 of 5 on 8/11/2009 5:06:00 AM More reviews by shoppingaffair

I added these in my coastal scents order- I got the shadow/liner, foundation and kabuki/powder. I think they work great in general for keeping my brushes in shape but I don't see the point for the shadow/liner ones IMO.
I used the foundation ones for some of my blush brushes but I feel that they fit a little loose but they will do till I order the blush types. For the kabuki/powder, I thought that was much too long for my kabuki brushes- it would be perfect if they could trim down the length.
I'll definitely be re-purchasing as these don't look like they can last me for years (unless I don't really touch the brushes they hold).

rated 5 of 5 on 8/4/2009 3:28:00 AM More reviews by illekkelli

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I recently purchased several of these brush guards from Coastal Scents. They come in several sizes: blush, shadow/liner, kabuki/powder, and foundation, A variety pack is also available. I purchsed several of these and I must say that I love them. They do thier job, you can dry the brush with bristles down, and the guard allows the brush to go back to its original shape They are also helpful in protecting the brush when they are in a container or roll. I didn't buy enough for all my brushes, but I am going to get more. One tip: I put a guard that looked like it fit on one of my blush brushes, but it was actually a little big and kept sliding. You definitely want to pick the correct size so that it is snug against the brush. Love these!