July 30, 2014 | 2070 users online

Foundations - Leichner Camera Clear Tinted Foundation

• Price: $

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 4/15/2014 10:22:00 PM More reviews by smootsa

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Green

Well this is an interesting foundation. I couldn't get past the smell - which is really strong - so I took a look at the ingredients to see what I was dealing with, and of the 22 ingredients listed, 14 are fragrances - including the catch-all 'parfum'. That probably explains the strength of the smell, but not why it's so unpleasant. The super low price probably explains that. I also checked on cosdna, and 18 of the 22 ingredients get safety flags (11 medium hazard, 7 high hazard) so despite the high ratings elsewhere, I'm happy to bin this one.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/20/2013 6:08:00 PM More reviews by kajsabajsa

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This is a quite unusual and unknown brand from Germany.

However its an old one that has been around for a long long time, almost 100 years or so!

Dont let the name "tinted" fool you, this is NOT a tinted moisturizer,
although it does offers serious amount of moisturization due to
the very high content of lanolin and paraffin.
This stuff is even more moisturizing than many lotions!

The texture of this is extremely creamy, like melted butter.

The level of coverage is HIGH, very high, as this was originally a stage makeup brand.

Worn alone, it will give you a super glowy porcelain look (like Cleopatra kind of look).
If you set it with powder (must be LOOSE powder, pressed wont work with all oils in this),
then your skin will appear completely flawless.
Can be slightly cakey though since its designed for stage/theatre makeup primarily.

This foundation comes in a little plastic jar thats very easy to handle.
All shades appear darker in the jar than they actually are on the skin.
The shades "Porcelain" or "Almond" will fit paler skins.
(The color chart provided is very off, especially on these two paler shades).

You get good amount of product (35ml) for a low price, usually around $5-6.

So its basically a very old fashioned stage makeup, from like the 30's-40's-50's era,
which is also reflected in how heavily perfumed it is.
Its a strong old ladys smell that wont go away for a long time.

But still a charming quite unique product in its own way.

Very good for those with DRY SKIN who seek a cheap FULL COVERAGE foundation.

8 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 6/22/2013 5:46:00 PM More reviews by Cinamorrol

Being a rare blend of dry and Acne prone, this is the perfect foundation. Covers EVERYTHING and moisturises well. HG .

rated 4 of 5 on 4/27/2013 8:32:00 AM More reviews by renners

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I purchased the porcelain shade for $5 for my NC20 skin. application is key with this foundation- DON'T wipe it on, it needs to be lightly patted on with your fingers or a brush, wiping on gives a really horrible effect.
super heavy feeling with med to full coverage, i dont put this on my nose because it doesnt last and becomes blotchy but on my dry cheeks its fine.

The packaging is super cute and retro, i prob wouldnt purchase again but i have no problem continuing to use the rest of the jar.The price for this is ridiculously cheap however and I I was on a budget or hunting for a bargain this would be my first choice foundation.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/18/2012 5:06:00 AM More reviews by MalibuMands

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Other, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Blue

I came across Leichner CAMERA CLEAR foundation whilst browsing Amazon for a suitable foundation for my very dry skin. I remember coming across it before and being tempted by, but not getting it because trying to colour match it via the unhelpful chart is a shot in the dark. However as it is so cheap I decided to just order the lightest shade [porcelain] and hope for the best.

When it arrived I was disappointed, as whilst the shade is nice and neutral, it looks a bit darker then what the shade name would suggest. However the creamy formula is so light and silky to apply, that blending it into the skin for a better colour match is easy. Once blended, the results are a smooth satin finish, with medium coverage (it can provide fuller coverage with layering).

I've found it to be transfer resistant, another plus. I've worn with a primer, without one, with powder and alone; my preferred look is skipping primer and setting the foundation with a touch of powder, as that is long lasting and gives a natural, un-cakey look. Finally; This hasn't oxidized on me.

negatives? For me, this doesn't have any. However if you don't have dry skin the moisturizing ingredients in this foundation will become greasy on your skin, so I wouldn't recommend Leichner CAMERA CLEAR to anyone other then those with dry skin.

Also: remember that it applies lighter on the skin then it looks in the container, so bare that in mind.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/15/2012 12:57:00 PM More reviews by Marianthoula

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is a pleasant surprise and I have MUA to thank for.

As a new mu artist I am looking for products to cover my needs for various skin tones without breaking the bank. I must say that I took a blind leap when I bought these because I could not be sure what shade each pot represents. After a lot of thought, I ended up with the following 4 blends:
- Almond (pink)
- Walnut whip (peach)
- Porcelain (neutral)
- Chestnut (dark, not sure of the undertone)

Apprication:
Using the 3 first shades I can pretty much recreate any light-to-medium skintone. I am (roughly estimated) 2/5 Walnut+2/5 Porcelain+1/5 Almond and it is really no big trouble to get each product out everyday and mix it if it means I get to have my perfect match. I have Chestnut to add for a darker skintone, but I am not sure of its undertone. On my white face it turns a little red.
As other reviewers said, be careful of the quantity. You only need so little. Now I have combination skin and so I have to use it on non-moisturized skin. It wears very comfortably on my winter-dry, Dior-Forever-maltreated skin.
I apply it with fingers. I tried using a stippling brush (MAC 187) but it just clumps the brush hair together and makes giant streaks on my face that no amount of buffing can correct. Being combo, I take an extra step and pat lightly with some (toilet) paper to remove greasiness.
I powder as usual (my powder is not oil control but I have no problem) and then continue with blush, bronzer etc.
I find that I can use it under my eyes and on the lid and I do not get any irritation. I get medium coverage and a cream finish this way. Now I know this sounds like a lot of trouble but really it takes so little in the morning and it is the most lovely finish I have so far. Plus, it saves me the time from not having to apply serum + moisturizer :)

It has a slight smell that I cannot describe, not bad, and I cannot smell it a few minutes after application. The only bad thing I can think of is the jar. Not for hygene reasons (I use a spatula) but because it is so greasy that the oil gets under the screw-cap and seeps out. When I received them, one was covered in grease so bad that the label had turned colour. A little disgusting and messy, but I prefer to pay for the product than a fancy packaging. Plus, it really saves space in my kit.

I am very-very happy with this product. The price is amazing and there is nothing lacking in performance. I will have to see how it holds on warmer days but for winter days this is my new love of makeup. As a matter of fact, this is my new standard for foundation and I will have to revise my mark for the other foundations I have reviewed. Will definitely buy again.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/25/2012 5:07:00 PM More reviews by xEmzyx

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

I got this in blend of porcelain as I'm very fair skinned after reading reviews about it being great for dry skin I thought it would be perfect for my face!
I was not disappointed, this not only moisturisers your skin it covers imperfections really well.. and a little really does go along way! I applied today with my fingers which left my face a little too cakey so I'm going to invest in a sponge and apply a little powder to keep it in place (like other reviewers have said) One things for sure this foundation will last me a hell of alot longer than any other! The only thing I can fault is the smell as it's a little overwhelmingly strong but seems to wear off after an hour!
Will repurchase :)

rated 4 of 5 on 2/22/2012 7:19:00 AM More reviews by smurf3010

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Got some yesterday, thought for the price, £3.00 at the factory shop, I'd give it a try.. like the coverage and the colour, but the smell is very off putting!! Reminds me of my Nana and she is dead!! Used a mineral powder over the top and that seems to mask the smell. Time will tell if I would buy it again...

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/17/2012 5:02:00 PM More reviews by Shulamith

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

In brief, this is a very nice, old school, cream foundation with an off-putting
floral scent that is pretty much a deal breaker for me. The only way I could find to neutralize it was to blend it with primer or moisturizer before applying it to my face. It is interesting that it does an excellent job on dry skin even though there is nothing high tech about its ingredients; however, if you add a silicone primer,
you have the best of both worlds. I think this is interesting as a historical artifact but, until they get rid of the scent, I see no compelling reason to use it.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/9/2011 9:53:00 AM More reviews by Niamhburns

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Wow, how great is this foundation? I'm absolutely in love with it, it's such a great product.

Leichner has been around for ages (my mother persuaded me to buy it) and even though it's old, it works brilliantly. It gives great coverage and it smooths my skin and leaves it so soft & moisturised! I love it, definitely up there with the best!