April 21, 2014 | 1537 users online

Masks - Clinique - Acne Solutions Oil Control Cleansing Mask

rated 5 of 5 on 2/4/2014 2:40:00 PM More reviews by sunblockobsession

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I have early-onset rosacea (flushing, itchy papules that erupt in the center of my face when my skin is irritated) and hormonal acne. My monthly breakouts and general inflammation are tamed with a combination of birth control, Finacea, and Metrogel. Thanks to these products, my skin is clear and smooth 95% of the time.

The other 5% I spend trying to quell minor monthly breakouts. The reactive nature of my skin has driven me away from salicylic acid products and anything that could be remotely drying, such as a mask.

I bought this product on a whim, having had some past success with Clinique products, and I actually love it.

I think the problem a lot of people have when they buy masks is that they are expecting instant results. You can't put something on your face, leave it on for 5 minutes, wash it off, and expect to reveal clear skin. It doesn't work that way. Most acne products take months of regular use before the patient sees any benefit (it took 8 months before birth control completely cleared my skin).

This mask isn't going to wipe out your zits or red marks. What it will do, if it is suited to your skin type, is make your skin smoother and help heal any existing inflammation. It can be drying, so I only use it once a week, and I tend to only apply it only on problem/oily areas (chin, forehead, jawline). If I have a swollen papule or pustule, I will spot treat at night with this mask, moisturize, and wake up with less inflammation.

This mask doesn't cause flushing for me but others might find it irritating.

rated 1 of 5 on 11/7/2013 4:26:00 PM More reviews by katiecat12

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This product creates more problems than it solves.
I was a devoted fan of Clinique's Deep Cleansing Emergency Mask. It was so effective at helping to keep my skin clear and pores clean, I stocked up on several tubes to have it on hand as long as possible. I finally ran out, and thought - Clinique couldn't have changed the formula that much with their Acne Solutions Mask...Probably just a little updating here and there....Ugh! Not the case! While my former favorite mask was good at both pulling up toxins from pores and drying breakouts, the Acne Solutions Oil Control Cleansing Mask is all about pulling stuff up to the surface but not drying anything out. So, you're left with clogged, and even bumpy looking skin that needs a good extraction session, and full on assault from acne drying products. Its a great way to get people to buy into the whole Clinique Acne Solutions line, as this mask will make you desperate to get your smooth healthy skin back.
Since everyone, young and old, seems to be struggling with some sort of acne these days, my guess is they changed the mask to cater to more of a combo/oily type of skin, rather than a real acne sufferer. Without the drying aspect, more people can use this mask without irritation. You know- People with normally perfect skin with the occasional breakout. If you are someone with frequent breakouts, or true oily skin, stay away! For now, I've ordered some pure bentonite clay to mix in with the "balancing" kaolin that this mask offers to help boost the oil absorbing and drying properties.

rated 3 of 5 on 8/23/2013 3:12:00 AM More reviews by tiantianz

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Cool Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

It works: made my pores a little smaller, although it also was a bit too drying.
Downside: stings a lot, more than the Kiehl's Deep Pore Cleansing Mask.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/14/2013 7:39:00 AM More reviews by pauvres

I've always had a colourful past with Clinique products. Their acne 3-step line completely destroyed my skin, the cleanser and toner irritated and the moisturiser did absolutely nothing. This product however is probably the only product of their whole skincare range that I didn't absolutely hate with a fiery passion. That being said I didn't love it either, because it is just a very basic oil controlling mask. It contains salicylic acid which is nice, and the texture of the mask was great. It also tightened to a very solid layer which was good as well, but aside from this, nothing was special about it, and for that price you would expect something other than commonplace ingredients. I think my disdain for Clinique products will stay, I'm really not into it.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/29/2013 7:42:00 PM More reviews by ughhhhhskinsux

I only use this for spot treating because it draws out everything on your face. I don't have enough patience to have a face full of spots for days. I just treat one cheek, nose, and chin. Then I alternate and do my forehead and my other cheek a few days later. I had great skin for quite a while then I did the oil cleansing method...big mistake. I went a little overboard with it. I went out and bought all organic makeup with oil and HOLY CLOGGED PORES. I don't get large zits just blackheads from it and they are more annoying! But this is great for unclogging those stubborn blackheads. If you pick at your skin, do not use it on that acne blemish. I used a blackhead remover on my cheek and it pulled some skin off. So beware of those things. It wasn't bad and nothing a little mederma didn't fix in a few days. Leave this on for about 10 minutes if spot treating but, do not go over! It says five minutes and if you were doing your whole face I would say 5 is plenty of time. I am one of those unfortunate people who had perfect skin growing up but, I never wore makeup until I was about 20 and then...my hell began at 21. Who knows why it was but, me and bare minerals were not friends, lol.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/5/2013 5:08:00 PM More reviews by SickSexFix

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Black

I used up a whole tube of this and never bought it again. It was expensive and I hated the ingredients. But did it work? Yes. It got rid of a lot of the congestion and blackheads as well as flattened the red angry whiteheads that were on my face at the time. I never bought it again because I hate the smell, the price and I find the ingredients way too harsh and it felt like it was burning my face after a while.
I can't find the ingredients online anywhere, but I know it has salicylic acid in it which I've been using for years on my skin so it's not that. I suspect this has menthol in it and I've since found a cheaper better clay based mask without any harsh ingredients like menthol, peppermint or eucalyptus. That stuff is unnecessary. (Edit: checked the ingredients, it doesn't have menthol in it but that's what it feels like on my skin - a cooling feeling that actually burns. I don't like it.)

If my review helped you, click yes below!

rated 2 of 5 on 10/9/2012 7:10:00 PM More reviews by TaniitaTania

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I bought this mask 2 yrs ago when i had moderate acne because i thought it will at least help me clear off some blemishes , to be honest i didn't see any difference on my skin , i was so annoyed that every time i bought something from Clinique i have my high hopes but i always get disappointed on there products, i used it for three weeks and no i didn't see a difference ,it was also an expensive clay mask ,.,.then my auntie recommend it Queen Helen mint julep mask and it helped my skin sooo much and it was really cheap , Now i just used 100% pure bentonite clay mask and it works way better then this clinique mask ,now i have light acne ,.who says buying expensive products is necessarily better ? Overall I don't recommend this product.

rated 2 of 5 on 9/14/2012 12:19:00 AM More reviews by kristy1077

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Unfortunatley i purchased the whole clinique anti blemish line before realising my skin hates anything with Salcylic Acid in it. This mask contains 1.0% salcylic acid which was enough to bring out blemishes after two uses. Its unfortunate because this mask left my skin softer and reduced redness. The side effects of it included new cystic blemishes in my blemish prone areas and therefore would not repurchase.
I would recommend this though if your skin responds well to Salcylic Acid. My skin is more partial to benzyl peroxide products.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/28/2012 12:58:00 AM More reviews by laurelwatanabe

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Green

I really like this mask, I have super oily skin especially before my period, I use it once a week and it helps to keep my oil and shine under control and a little goes a long way and since Clinique is pretty affordable I recommend it if you're oily and break out prone. It leaves my skin feeling clean and fresh never tight or red.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/27/2012 2:08:00 PM More reviews by SkinCare9

This mask works super well. It's great for acne and getting rid of oil/sebum on the skin.
I love it and will continue to purchase it.

I apply a very thin layer on my cheeks, chin and above the lips. On the rest of my face (Nose and forehead, where I get acne and oily) I apply a thicker layer.

It lasts a long time and is just great in general, definatly my favourite out of all the masks I've used and from the Clininique Acne Blemish Line!