October 30, 2014 | 1641 users online

Palettes - Bare Escentuals - Siren of the Sea Kit

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/27/2009 6:43:00 PM More reviews by Adele

Wow, not sure what else I could possibly add to Laci's review- well done, and well stated! I love this set, it's beautiful. The Mermaid eye colour is gorgeous. It's got some colour to it, but not overdone.

This is another great kit from BE, some bang for your buck- and a great way to try out several products for the price of one.

The brush- while i find it is too small for the mineral veil as it's intended, or even the blush for that matter- it's a nice brush for adding localized amounts of shimmer to the face, and the smaller end is actually quite a nice all-over shadow.

I'm Light in BE- Mac NC20. Fair skin with slightly olive undertones.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/30/2009 11:09:00 AM More reviews by LaciP504

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

When I was originally considering purchasing this set by BE, I was suprised that there were no prior reviews. This kit gives you a subtle yet beautiful summer look, IMO. Even the name of this set is enticing...Siren of the Sea. Sirens are mermaid-like and lured mariners in with their enchanting music and voices according to ancient folklore. :)

This is a 7-piece set/kit by BE that is currently retailing for $39 at Sephora. It includes:
- 0.02 oz bareMinerals High Shine Sand Dune (gilded sand, high shine)
- 0.02 oz bareMinerals Mermaid Eyecolor (dark blue-green velvet)
- 0.02 oz bareMinerals Hydrating Coral Blush (coral dusk)
- 0.07 oz bareMinerals Hydrating Mineral Veil (brightening finish)
- 0.14 oz bareMinerals 100% Natural LipGloss in Chiffon (nude sand)
- Double-Ended Hydrate & Brighten Duo Brush with Custom Bamboo Handle
- Straw Clutch

Unfortunately my online order from Sephora shipped minus the brush so I can't speak for its quality. I'm very impressed with the set. I don't even own a lot of BE products nor am I usually a "kit" kind of girl.

Sand Dune is a metallic taupey shade that I found very flattering on my NC35 complexion. (I'm a bit darker right now due to the sun, I'm usually around N5/NC30.) Some taupes can go too cool and look very wrong but this one suits my strong yellow skin just fine! While it is shimmery and kind of metallic I don't find it OTT at all. It still manages to be very pretty and subtle somehow.

The Mermaid eyecolor is probably my favorite product of the bunch. From the color description I expected this to be blue-green but it was more of a green-blue. No complaints though as it's absolutely beautiful on. It's great on my hazel eyes and I can also see it really bringing out brown eyes as well. So far I have only used this as a liner in conjunction with Sand Dune as a wash. I plan on trying this in the crease very soon though.

The blush is a very pretty coral color that looks very nice on tan skin. Since I am a bit darker now due to the summer this is fairly subtle shade wise and I'd think it'd be hard to overdo it. Some blushes are so pigmented that even on darker skintones you have to worry about using a light hand. I think this will also look pretty as my tan fades a bit, I won't have to worry about it being overpowering even then. It's matte and comparable to NARS Torrid minus the shimmer.

I didn't know what to expect with the Hydrating Mineral Veil. I dusted this lightly over top of my foundation and it had a lovely brightening/illuminating effect. I use LM Secret Brightening Powder to set my concealer and this puts me in my mind of an all over face version of that product.

The lip gloss in Chiffon is a nude shade which complements the rest of the products nicely...definitely a good pick shade wise to use in conjunction with the rest. I have pretty pigmented lips so that combined with the fact that it's just a gloss didn't make for a very strong lip. It shows up but lightly on my lips. Nudes are a hard lip look as different shades suit different ladies. If you are neutral-warm, however, and have yellow undertones, I can assure that this is not a shade that will make you look like death warmed over.

The clutch is cute but I doubt I will get too much use out of it aside from possibly storing these products inside to keep my stash semi organized. :) I didn't receive the brush with my order so I'm not sure of the quality nor do I own very many BE brushes to try to guesstimate. I am very happy with this kit! Interested in trying out some of their others now.

I am typically N5/NC30 in MAC but more along the lines of NC35 right now, #32 in MUFE f & b, #120 in MUFE HD, #3 in GA Face Fabric, and Shell in Chanel T.I. Neutral-warm with strong yellow undertones and hazel eyes.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No