April 20, 2014 | 1686 users online

Sunscreen - BurnOut Eco-Sensitive Clean and Clear Sunscreen SPF 30

rated 1 of 5 on 3/13/2014 8:29:00 AM More reviews by Kt2000

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I don't normally leave product reviews but the new forumla of this sunscreen really is so dreadful that I felt I had to!

Prior to reforumulation this was my HG sunscreen. I have acne prone, oily skin and this SPF would leave a lovely silky and matte finish - a perfect base for make up.

This sunscreen is now thick and greasy. It's difficult to squeeze out of the tube, difficult to spread on the skin and it doesn't dry properly on the skin, As a result my face looks oily and greasy, and remains sticky all day. It's almost impossible to apply my mineral make up on top of this.

I can't understand the forumla change but I am SO disappointed!!! My search for a decent mineral suncreen continues....

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 3/5/2014 6:18:00 PM More reviews by jamesie

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Please note that this has been vastly reformulated recently, so all the reviews prior to 3/5/14 are for a different product!

This new formula is very similar to the BurnOut Kids reformulation (2014), so if you like that one, you'll probably like this one.

Patch tested for 2 days and got 2 small pimples, so a no-go for my face. Will use on body.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/7/2014 3:35:00 PM More reviews by mglebreux

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

My search for the perfect sunscreen is officially OVER! I've been searching for years for the perfect sunscreen since I have both melasma and rosacea. In my search I tried expensive and cheap, chemical and natural. The ones I've tried either burned as I put it on, felt thick where I couldn't wash it off, looked shiny (like I haven't washed my face for a year) or left a ghostly white cast.

This goes on smooth, clear, matte and no burning sensation or eye tearing! With 18.6% zinc oxide, what more can someone ask for? I also tried the lip balm and it feels very moist. While I wouldn't say it's 'as' clear as the sunscreen, with that high of a zinc, wanting that level of protection, I'm sold!

It's not only the PERFECT sunscreen, but they also are selling it at a fair price!

rated 5 of 5 on 12/27/2013 1:53:00 PM More reviews by kf2012

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is a sunscreen miracle.

I have been looking for "the" sunscreen for about 10 years. I have spent countless hours researching online, spent God knows how much money, and have probably tried close to 100 sunscreens (literally). Every single one of them has been a failure until now. By the time this one started getting raved about on the Boards, I was so skeptical of sunscreens that I didn't even want to try it. I finally did about 3 months ago, and I cannot believe how awesome this is.

Background: I have skin that is very prone to acne and clogged pores, and every sunscreen on the market gives me breakouts. In addition, my skin is sensitive, reactive, and prone to redness, so most chemical sunscreens are out. My skin is pale, yet neutral to warm-toned, so most physical sunscreens still end up looking ghostly and purple-ish on me. I cannot use products with silicone, so most of the more elegantly textured sunscreens are ruled out. I have oily skin, so the typical heavy, sticky, greasy sunscreen texture is so unpleasant for me that I can only force myself to wear it at the beach.

This sunscreen is very fluid-textured. When I first spread it on my skin, it doesn't feel greasy at all, but feels like it might be too emollient to sink in. It also looks very white. But with just a minute or so of spreading it around, the color begins to disappear and the product sinks into my skin marvelously. If I give it an additional minute or two to sit on my face, it leaves the most natural-looking, matte finish. There is a very slight "residue" I can feel if I touch my face; not greasy or sticky, but just... you can tell there is product there. But it is not unpleasant at all. (Side note: I find that when I use this on my body, especially my arms, it stays quite a bit tackier than it does on my face. I'm not sure why that is. For that reason, I don't use it on my body -- only my face.)

I have used this almost daily for about 3 months now, and have not suffered any breakouts from this. In fact, I feel like it makes my skin better. The sun protection is good and I have seen my hyperpigmentation fade since wearing this, and the zinc seems to soothe my skin. Being pale and skin-conscious, I know how important sunscreen is, but I'd been going without on a daily basis for quite a while because I simply could not find one my skin could agree with.

I will definitely repurchase this for as long as Burnout offers it. Burnout, please do not discontinue OR reformulate this. You have a major winner here.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/18/2013 1:24:00 PM More reviews by paf0009

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Medium Eyes: Black

I really like this sunscreen and I've tried a lot; clean ones and not-so-clean ones. The ingredients list is pretty good. I buy mines at an organic market. It's very affordable, but the packaging is bad. Sunscreen gets stuck around the dispenser hole and it has to be constantly cleaned despite the fact that I try my best to dispense just what I need. Oh well, no big deal, just not nice to deal with.

This sunscreen will give skin a matte appearance which is good if you are oily prone. I have combination, sensitive, acne-prone, and dehydrated skin. Sometimes I like the matte look but sometimes it seems like a bit too much. Best part is this does not lead to breakouts, in my case at least. At first, when I apply it, it feels slightly tacky, rubbery. But after a while, the feeling disappears. I will note that I do layer it over a serum though so I don't know if contributes to it feeling less tacky (I use Blissoma Smooth Serum). Although I would most likely buy this again, I am on the lookout for something else. The reason is I can't remove it in the evenings! If anyone has any suggestions, please message me. I would appreciate it :) I thought I had found my HG cleanser: Kahina Facial Cleanser, but after finding this sunscreen and not being able to remove it adequately and in a timely manner, I had to give up on the Kahina :( That is my only complaint.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/15/2013 8:00:00 PM More reviews by trickmaus

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Last year, I started having a bad reaction to sunscreen...not only did it suddenly start making me break out, but when I put it on it felt like a chemical burn on my face! this change literally happened over night, and left me seriously worried. I'm a PPP, one of the most pale people I have ever met, and if I don't use sunscreen for even ten minutes outside, I BURN. On top of this, I have rosacea, which means that I need to baby my skin. Neither of these things are conducive to skipping out on sunscreen EVER.

So I went on a desperate search, trying to figure out what I was reacting to. In the meantime, I went searching for a physical sunblock, one without any of the potential offending ingredients. Among the ones I tried was BurnOut Eco-Sensitive Sunscreen. I was a little sad that the highest SPF it offered was 30, but I decided to try it anyways, based on the lovely ingredients list. Having tried it in the past, I already knew that zinc and my skin go together like peanut butter and jelly.

Out of the four brands of physical sunscreens that I tried, this one was the winner: it didn't make my skin oily, didn't dry it out, didn't leave a white cast on my face, and succeeded in protecting me in the sun. It's also a pretty decent price, compared to all of the other physical sunscreens.

My only complaint about it is that I do feel a slight film on my skin when I wear it - it doesn't melt in, and I certainly don't forget that I'm wearing it. But a girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do, and compared to chemical burns, white face or my makeup literally melting away because of an oily sunscreen...this one doesn't seem bad at all.

rated 3 of 5 on 8/24/2013 12:17:00 PM More reviews by jessamay

Like so many others, I am on a never ending quest to find my HG physical facial sunscreen with an SPF of 30 or higher. I tend to like Elta's products best so far (if I am gonna go higher end) but I stray often and this is one I wanted to try. It seems like it is fine when I first put it on - goes on with little white cast and has a very nice consistency BUT then, it kinda just stays really tacky. And it is a bit drying. It does work better with something creamy under it (heavy moisturizer or oil) but I would prefer just to use Coppertone Sensitive for Faces 50 as that works well with something under it, does not dry tacky (though it certainly is also drying) and it is a lot cheaper and more widely available. I won't buy it again - I will stick with EltaMD UV Daily SPF 40 if I am going to shell out the cabbage.

rated 2 of 5 on 8/21/2013 12:45:00 PM More reviews by marmaladecat

Unfortunately this didn't work for me. Even with a good deal of moisturiser underneath, I still found this really drying, especially if I used the recommended quantity of approximately 1/4 teaspoon of the product on my face. It left patches of white visible on my skin and I'm pale! I tried a little light foundation over it, which just made my face look cakey.

It looked OK if I used a really small amount, but that would mean I was getting very little sun protection.

The search for a good all-physical sunscreen continues!

rated 4 of 5 on 7/16/2013 7:07:00 PM More reviews by endlessmike

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Used by itself, this product is not cosmetically elegant- very drying and yet sticky at the same time. Hard to wear everyday unless you also want to wear a lot of other products underneath like a heavy moisturizer or do not use enough for adequate protection. I tried mixing it with the lavanila sunscreen and it works really well that way though! The "cons" of each are almost opposite of each other so it makes sense that together they'd work. I've also mixed it with stuff like argan oil but that reduces the spf for the quantity.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/27/2013 12:37:00 PM More reviews by keepitreal

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I decided to try this out due to its popularity on the skin board. I was very excited by the idea of a silicone-free yet cosmetically elegant physical sunblock. I have oily, sensitive skin that is prone to clogged pores and whiteheads. I am also very fair and, at 24, already have some sunspots under my eyes due to not taking sun protection seriously up to this point. I have been using this for a few days and so far am feeling optimistic despite the inclusion of capric/caprylic triglycerides...only time will tell in regards to breakouts. This is a very fluid lotion that spreads on nicely and feels very light on the skin. It dries quickly to a semi-matte finish and maintains a slightly tacky feel which is easily eliminated with a dusting of powder. I have very fair skin and this goes on completely clear and streak-free.

In comparison to the last sunscreen I was using, Replenix SPF 50 spray, they are quite similar in that they both go on clear, dry semi-matte, but still have a bit of tacky after-feel. The main difference I have found is that the Burnout dries MUCH faster and feels nicer upon application where the Replenix felt oily/greasy until it dried down. The Replenix also contributed to breakouts, but I can't say yet if the Burnout will also meet that fate.

I only wear Ole Henriksen's Truth Serum underneath and do not find this sunscreen drying nor have I experienced the rubbery or mask-like feeling that some others have described. That said, I have truly oily skin and my summers are very humid. This does a decent job of keeping my skin matte and does not contribute to oil production. I will be interested to see how it fares in the winter. In conclusion, this is the nicest and best all-around sunblock I have tried for my face. Enthusiastically recommended, especially for those with oily/combination skin.