December 20, 2014 | 1685 users online

Sunscreen - BurnOut Eco-Sensitive Clean and Clear Sunscreen SPF 30

rated 2 of 5 on 9/5/2014 12:24:00 AM More reviews by jdhsato

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I"m so let down by this new re-formulated version. This was once my favorite zinc sunscreen because other than the superior protection it provided, it left no white cast, dried fast and left a matte finish. This new one is a major fail. At first i thought i just got a bad tube cause when I applied it, it was so greasy and made me look like a shining disco ball. It was also super thick and tacky and was hard to spread. Totally opposite from the older version. One of the reviewers on another website suggested applying finishing powder on top of it to get rid of shine. No, no, no! It just doesn't work. The powder doesn't even want to apply on top of this greasy mess. Everything just slides right off. I did give it a fair shot and used it for an entire two weeks but after that I just couldn't stand it anymore. It seems to never dry and I can always feel it on my face. I've had to pat my face with blotting paper all day just to minimize the shine and absorb excess oil. SIGH! Why did they have to mess with a good thing.

rated 1 of 5 on 7/26/2014 12:11:00 PM More reviews by bernb

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

Up until the 2014 reformulation, BurnOut Clean and Clear was my absolute HG sunscreen, and had been for several years.

Sadly, the reformulation is absolutely terrible.

It will not blend into the skin. It pills - even on clean, dry skin it pills up into large flakes which only come off with a damp cloth - taking the sunscreen with it. It applies like a tacky white glue, and refuses to blend into the skin without significant rubbing - leaving my skin very red and angry in the process. The tackiness moves around in large white clumpy streaks. It also does not mattify/dry down matte, requiring a LOT of powder to remove the shine and allow the application of any makeup.

I have persisted and tried numerous ways to apply it. I have tried it on clean skin, and I have tried it on top of other products (serums, moisturisers, etc). I have tried applying it very sparingly, I have tried applying it section by section, I have tried to apply it in a heavy layer - again, all to no avail. I have persisted, and now I have given up.

All in all, the reformulated BurnOut Clean and Clear sunscreen is a complete disaster.

I have written to BurnOut to tell them about my experience and let them know that they now have many disappointed customers - and begged for them to bring the old formula back. I emplore any users of the old formula to do the same. I have sent them the link to this review page, and told them of the many disappointed customers who have posted on the skin care board. They NEED to know how they ruined what was once such a perfect product.

In the meantime, if any one has found a suitable replacement, please PM me the details - I am now on the hunt for a new sunscreen.

Interesting and informative reading by gingerama:
Blog post #1: http://gingerrrama.wordpress.com/2014/03/09/sunscreen-burnout-reformulations/
Blog post #2: http://gingerrrama.wordpress.com/2014/03/14/burnout-sunscreens-an-update/

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 7/13/2014 5:49:00 AM More reviews by denzi

This is a review of the reformulated Clean & Clear sunscreen. Previously (before they changed it) this was my absolutely favorite mineral/physical sunscreen. It was perfect for my melasma, sensitive, combination, spot prone skin. Also even though it was so high in zinc oxide, it never appeared white on my skin nor irritated it and it went perfectly under makeup and most importantly it really helped keep my melasma under control - I must've gone through 5 tubes.

Why did the company change a perfect sunscreen - especially when they must've read all the great reviews on the internet. The new formulation is really terrible and completely unwearable. I'm trying to find a new physical/mineral only sunblock with high zinc oxide but have yet to find one I would buy again. I really hope BurnOut go back to the old formulation!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 7/10/2014 2:56:00 AM More reviews by jspnx

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

No idea why the skincare board loves this sunscreen. Burnout is a thick, slightly oily feeling paste. My kids hate it when I rub it into their faces, and my son got a mild burn even with it on. Cannot recommend.

4 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 5/23/2014 9:07:00 AM More reviews by xanna

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I loved this sunscreen and wore it everyday but I had to return my most recent bottle because the reformulation is disgusting. I'm so disappointed. The old version went on matte and my makeup applied perfectly over it. Once it was on, I didn't feel it. The new version is extremely greasy and makes my face a sliding, shiny, patchy mess. It always feels like it's there, which is what I hate about most sunscreens. All day long I just wanted to get home and scrub it off my face. Upon further investigation it seems they also added several new pore-clogging ingredients. Yay!

I switched to the sport version in the orange bottle until I can find something else. It definitely not as nice as the old Clean and Clear (it leaves a pretty heavy white cast) but it's leaps and bounds better than the new formulation.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 5/19/2014 5:00:00 PM More reviews by sharment

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Once upon a time I would have gladly given this product 5 stars - 6 if the system would allow it - but not anymore.

I HATE the new formula. I hate it in every single way possible.

The old formula was elegant, light-weight, and highly effective. It was beautiful on the skin, leaving no white cast, and worked great alone or over moisturizer. It set to a beautiful semi-mate finish, didn't run when I got sweaty, and didn't smear or stain my clothing. It was awesome to have a sunscreen I could use for both face and body. As a very pale person with extremely sensitive skin who burns easy and lives in the southwest, it was a blessing to find this sunscreen.

The 'new and improved' version just plain sucks.

It is hard to squeeze out of the tube. It feels heavy on the skin, and never seems to set completely. It leaves an unattractive white cast on my skin, runs badly when I sweat, and leaves the edges of my clothing goopy and gross. White lines of it build up in the creases of joints like elbows and knees. Forget about wearing it under make-up or applying it over moisturized skin. And the big 'ECO' on the front of the new packaging? What a joke. The ingredient list has almost doubled and most of the new ingredients are totally unpronounceable unless you have a bio-chem degree. The extra 5 points of protection? Forget about that, too. Between it rubbing off and sweating off plus how thinly you have to apply it just to tolerate having it on your body,

I truly do not understand how a company who had such a brilliant product could so easily turn it into garbage in a tube and expect their customers would neither notice or care, but they did.

9 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 5/3/2014 1:45:00 AM More reviews by DJCupcakes

If I had reviewed this a couple of months ago, I would have given it 5, er, lipsticks, and a glowing review. But with the most recent reformulation, they have completely ruined this product.

This was the only sunscreen I could use daily on my face without issues, and I loved it so. It was lightweight, non-irritating, non-breakout causing, and a lovely base for makeup. The worst thing I could say about it was that it was a bit tacky, but nothing a bit of powder (or my regular makeup application) couldn't fix. Now, it is very thick, much heavier and much stickier, and impossible to put makeup over. It just feels plain "gunky."

There is now a major white cast that cannot be worked in (before it was very minor, and would disappear after a bit), and the stuff just feels like glue on the skin. I didn't use it for very long once I bought a new tube, but I had the beginnings of clogged pores after my few days of experimentation. I ended up throwing it out because I couldn't even bear to use it on my body -- too sticky and heavy. I will not repurchase, nor will I buy anything from Burnout again, unless they decide to come to their senses and bring the old version of this back.

7 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 3/13/2014 8:29:00 AM More reviews by Kt2000

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I don't normally leave product reviews but the new forumla of this sunscreen really is so dreadful that I felt I had to!

Prior to reforumulation this was my HG sunscreen. I have acne prone, oily skin and this SPF would leave a lovely silky and matte finish - a perfect base for make up.

This sunscreen is now thick and greasy. It's difficult to squeeze out of the tube, difficult to spread on the skin and it doesn't dry properly on the skin, As a result my face looks oily and greasy, and remains sticky all day. It's almost impossible to apply my mineral make up on top of this.

I can't understand the forumla change but I am SO disappointed!!! My search for a decent mineral suncreen continues....

12 out of 12 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 3/5/2014 6:18:00 PM More reviews by jamesie

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Please note that this has been vastly reformulated recently, so all the reviews prior to 3/5/14 are for a different product!

This new formula is very similar to the BurnOut Kids reformulation (2014), so if you like that one, you'll probably like this one.

Patch tested for 2 days and got 2 small pimples, so a no-go for my face. Will use on body.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/7/2014 3:35:00 PM More reviews by mglebreux

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

My search for the perfect sunscreen is officially OVER! I've been searching for years for the perfect sunscreen since I have both melasma and rosacea. In my search I tried expensive and cheap, chemical and natural. The ones I've tried either burned as I put it on, felt thick where I couldn't wash it off, looked shiny (like I haven't washed my face for a year) or left a ghostly white cast.

This goes on smooth, clear, matte and no burning sensation or eye tearing! With 18.6% zinc oxide, what more can someone ask for? I also tried the lip balm and it feels very moist. While I wouldn't say it's 'as' clear as the sunscreen, with that high of a zinc, wanting that level of protection, I'm sold!

It's not only the PERFECT sunscreen, but they also are selling it at a fair price!