December 22, 2014 | 1828 users online

Treatments - Hubner Silica Gel

rated 5 of 5 on 12/21/2014 11:54:00 AM More reviews by MUAsAlbino

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I thought the $30+ price tag was insane but you have to remember that it's a 17 oz bottle & the product itself can serve several different purposes. Additionally this is mainly pure Silica, the only other ingredient is purified water. Thus there are no problematic, triggering fillers unlike a lot of knock offs on the market.

Personally, I bought this to battle my acne. I also have rosacea & sensitive skin so I can not use harsh ingredients like benzyl peroxide or retin a. Silica is a very gentle ingredient. Note: the cause of my acne is my oil production. If you have acne due to triggering ingredients, diet, or hormones - this will not help you. But if you *know* your acne is caused by the amount of sebum/oil you produce - give it a chance. SILICA ABSORBS OIL AND MOISTURE. That is why you will often see it in ingredient lists for matte make up products. I apply a thin layer of this on my face before bed, avoiding my eye & lip area. It dries to what feels like a stiff, white mask. I go to sleep, wake up, and wash it off in the morning. The consistency literally feels like water & is easy to spread across the skin. I have had a HUGE reduction in my acne since I began using it. In the summer I will probably apply 2 layers. Hubner Silica Gel is a miracle product in my skincare regime & has stopped me from attempting the last resort - Accutane.

You can also use this as a primer. I rarely ever use it in this manner because my foundation & sunscreen are very matte as is. But I probably will be reaching for this often once the hot, humid, TX summer rolls in. Take caution and only apply a tiny bit of this on your skin as a very thin layer because too much will leave noticeable white streaks on your face. It is best if you apply your foundation immediately, before it sets, because once this dries - it is VERY matte. Blending in foundation after it dries becomes a difficult hassle.

Last but not least - the obvious use of this product is to ingest it as a supplement in your diet. Silica is great for hair growth, nail health, and skin. It can help with oil production and the collagen. I want to take a second and add a scientific aspect to this as most reviews are based off of situational anecdotes. THIS WILL ONLY HELP IF YOUR DIET IS LACKING IN SILICA FROM OTHER SOURCES. If you are experiencing hair loss from: telogen effluvium, hormonal shifts, female pattern balding - do NOT expect any miracles from this product. Why? Because the root of your issue is obviously stemming from a completely different cause. The same goes for nails & skin. If a lack of silica isn't the issue, this won't do you much good. A boost in silica isn't going to do anything for your hormonal issues, ect.

Added: If you are taking Hubner Silica Gel as a supplement to help with acne, I would like to suggest two other supplements to add to your diet: zinc and sulfur. Both have been proven in studies to help with sebum/oil production. Hence why if you search "acne pills" on Amazon, Zinc comes up as one of the top selling items with hundreds of raving reviews. Again you really have to adhere to the advice above...if hormones or other factors are the source of your acne this won't nip the cause.

rated 1 of 5 on 8/23/2014 10:16:00 PM More reviews by nadiahoney

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I am a desperate idiot since my hair growth and texture really has sucked lately, really for years. I have tried so many things most of you out there would not believe it. Biosil -- I think one of the pricier brands -- is one of them and I feel it is important to let people know the b.s. marketing that makes us think we need this to help. First: NO DIFFERENCE in any kind of growth for nails, skin, or hair -- all suck as before. Literally, none -- and trust me I had hoped to get even an inkling of something or other beneficial. Seriously, and to make sure I maintained all other supplements and did not even drink a drop of alcohol to make sure I wouldn't mess things up for my test. Secondly, I looked into this. Do you guys know that BIOSIL is the ones who funded the studies showing their product works? This is akin to a liar funding the studies proving that their lies are the truth. That's how I see it. Please, for the love of all that is sacred, STOP GIVING MONEY AWAY to people who take advantage of us poor women who only want to look and feel better. I for one am SICK OF THE LIES. This product - Biosil -- is definitely a lie. Not sure about the other ones out there -- which I am about to go test, and will for sure be letting you know if they work. I won't give up on getting a healthier look, just sick of being taken for a ride by lies, lies, lies.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 4/14/2014 2:07:00 PM More reviews by Cutie007

Silica works well if someone is deficient in that mineral but other than that, it doesn't do much to increase hair growth.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/5/2014 12:04:00 AM More reviews by wagashi

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I started taking Flora vegetal silica supplements purchased on a well-known health product site about a month and a half ago, and although I'm not very observant as far as my hair goes and can't comment on that (maybe once it's grown out a bit?), I literally cannot believe that my nails haven't split or broken in the month that I've been taking it. I usually can't grow my nails very far past the wick without it breaking on one side or the other or flaking, but I now have actual white tips on my nails with no signs of breaking. They feel much harder and thicker as well. I wasn't expecting too much from silica (although I had hopes it work work well for me!) but I'm very impressed so far. I will update this review with more once I get an idea of how much this has helped my skin/hair.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/1/2013 3:36:00 PM More reviews by dibo

I have been using bamboo silica capsules for 5 months for my hair that was shedding. My hair has thickened up, is not shedding anymore, is growing faster and is shiny. I also noticed that my nails are growing quickly as well. I would recommend this product, I buy organic from a vitamin or health food store. I started off taking the recomended 4 caps a day for 2 months and now I just take 2 caps 4-5 times a week...Cheers...

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/13/2013 5:39:00 PM More reviews by libertinexox

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I love this stuff. I have never been able to have long nails before. Growing up I never had to cut my nails because they were so bendy and soft I could just peel off the ends. The have been a bit stronger in the last few years but I still couldn't grow them very long at all.

I take it straight on a spoon and have no problem with the taste like some other people.. it tastes like nothing and I kinda like the weird texture.

After taking this every day for around a month or two I noticed that my nails were incredibly strong and long, they've never been like this before. It's funny, I was puzzled for a few days before I even remembered I was taking silica because I take quite a few supplements and forgot I was taking it. I take a tablespoon of the Hubner brand every day and I'm reveling in having the long nails I could never have before. I remember trying fake nails and they would always fall off and make my nails underneath look horrible, this is so much better! I can't wait to see how it's affecting my hair once more of it grows out.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/30/2012 9:07:00 PM More reviews by Sabzzluvzzmakeup

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have been taking bamboo silica capsules for about a year now. I have fine hair that has always grown incredibly slow and was so weak, dull. My nails were brittel. I also suffered from acne since early teens. I am really so amazed with this I can seriously not live without this. My hair has been growing I would say 50% faster and so strong, shiny. My nails need to be cut about every 3-4 days now as I have small children I dont want my nails long, anyways, I would have to say the thing I can notice the most is my skin let me tell you! I rarely experience breakout now, my skin is dewy an glowing I can feel the difference like crazy I also read it is great for so many other things in maintaining good health. Take my word for it this stuff is great my mom has been taking and says the same thing as do a few of my friends and my hairdresser. It takes a couple months of taking this to see the real difference and I would recommend buy bamboo not horsetail becasue horstail is 5-7% silica and bamboo is 70% so you can see why its better I was taking horstail for the 1st couple months and switched to bamboo and bamboo is so much better, anyways goodluck!

9 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/16/2012 9:31:00 PM More reviews by sabrinarose1990

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I purchased the qsilica brand of tablets 4 months ago and have taken two a day religiously since...My skin is acne prone and unfortunately this didn't help clear it up...However it didn't break me out either, so that's a plus.
This product did do wonders for my hair, lashes and nails.
Firstly, my hair looked so much healthier...I dyed it blond last year from black and then back again and it was in a dreadful condition-dry, dull, brittle...Within a month of taking these my hair was shiny and growing at a healthy rate (Note, the hair on the ends are weak and brittle, but the new hair growing is thick and glossy looking, which I can only put down to this).
Also, my lashes were short after a few years of continual artificial eyelash extensions (the glue to apply eyelash extensions rip out your lashes). However, since taking these my lashes look much longer and thicker.

Lastly, my nails, which are weak and peeling after 4 years of continual artificial nail application seem very strong and growing without peeling, so much so that I no longer need artificial nails (I hate short nails).

Honestly, I was skeptical at first, but I really think this helps. My sister actually asked if I had had botox because my skin looked "tight" (good tight!) I won't repurchase for a while because I am trying to get my acne sorted so I don't want to use this while on antibiotics. But as soon as that has cleared then I will certainly repurchase:)

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 2/8/2012 5:56:00 PM More reviews by kathrynb23

I've been taking Silica supplements in the form of tablet by a brand called Microgenics Advanced Silica Complex with Grapeseed. I was told this would be great for skin, hair and nails. I was told by professional that I would see improvements in my skin and hair with long term use of this supplements and not to give up after 1 month, soo I did continue use and I did so for almost 2 months, and I couldn't continue any further then that.
These are my results:
1. The first week of use was horrific! But that was my own fault. I didn't read the label on the packaging properly, I thought it was take one tablet daily in the morning. The packaging actually said "take once daily, with food". In the morning I usually don't eat breakfast, after taking this in the morning I was feeling really, really sick I had symptoms of vomiting, nausea etc mimicking what I believe to be morning sickness, and it really gave my partner false hopes because he thought maybe we got lucky. I on the other thought there is no way it could be morning sickness, my cycle just ended at exactly the same time that I started taking Silica supplements, even if we did got lucky, morning sick would not have started that soon. After I went back and had a closer inspection of the direction to use, I change my regime, I now take it once at night before bed after dinner, and the symptoms went away, and it was heartbreaking to see those symptoms go away, cause we were hoping it might be something else/ or a little someone else rather then the Silica.

2. Dehydration! OMG I was drinking like a cow all day long. I never use to do that. I could be unconsciously drinking anywhere between 250ml-300ml of water each time and not realise it till I saw the bottle, and this was constant throughout the day. My mouth is always dry, I couldn't wear my retainers for my teeth at night anymore because my mouth is always dry. I'm always going bathroom breaks, and even at night the drinking and the bathroom, it really disturbs the person next to me. I felt like a water addict.

Outcome:
Nothing, I later did research and found out, a lot of the food I ate daily had silica in it anyways, it was really pointless to take silica tablets for me. I also later found out that women who was pregnant or breastfeeding should not take silica supplements anyways. Though I'm not in either of these categories, I really don't want any unnecessary factors ruining my chances, and that was the reason why I cease use immediately after I realise it didn't do much for me.

My partner begged me not to take these supplements after 3 weeks of use, but I persisted for almost 2 months. Eventually I had to face the fact that my overall health is the same before, during and now after the silica. The only changes that it caused, and that was noticeable was the ballooning of my stomach with all the water.
I'm not sure whether this is caused by the brand that I using, the actual ingredients, or some other factor, but I definitely wont be trying any other silica supplements anytime soon.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/5/2011 3:22:00 PM More reviews by nodown

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is an excellent supplement for hair/skin/nails that can be an alternative for those who can't tolerate biotin. I've found biotin tends to break me out like crazy, but silica has no negative effects for me (YMMV, of course).

Benefits: clearer, smoother, brighter skin that looks like it's been air-brushed. Thicker, glossier hair that feels livelier and 'springier', if that makes any sense. Hair and nails grow much faster than usual and feel stronger.

I've found no great differences among the major brands (Jarrow, Hubner, etc.). Just go for the one that is best in terms of cost (always check dosage amounts before purchasing since sometimes the cost per dose might be higher for a lower-priced product).

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No