Joan Rivers - Great Hair Day - thinning hair fill-in powder

4.2

on 2/19/2015 10:17:00 AM

OK, I'm lazy. I started using Rogaine but realized after a few days that I was not willing to commit to a daily application for the rest of my life! So I tried the JR fill-in product in blonde (my hair is dark brown) and it has worked beautifully, as other reviewers have said. My only complaint was that the brush that comes with it was too small - maybe not for use at the hairline, but for use on top of my head and along my part. My solution was to apply it with a fairly stiff-bristled foundation brush and Voila! I was finished in no time! As others have also noted, it looks very natural and stays on until you shampoo it out. Caution - if you are blonde, I don't think even the light blonde color would be light enough for you, but for those of us with darker hair, it is truly a great find.

on 2/9/2015 5:21:00 PM

I have fairly dark hair, and light skin. My hair is starting to gray and I now have my hair professionally colored in a shade just a bit lighter than my natural brown. When my roots begin to grow out, the gray is really noticable and makes it appear as if my hair is very thin around my hair line. That's where this product comes in. I use it to hide those gray roots between salon coloring visits. I no longer want to do any dye myself...just too messy. And for me, this has worked better than any of the other temporary solutions I have found. I apply it around my hairline and along my part...just anywhere the roots are obvious. Works great!

on 11/16/2014 7:28:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Warm

I have blonde for my dark brown hair. It works well in concealing my grey which is what I use it for. The brush it comes with is very good quality compared to other fill in powders. I use the brush when I try to use Wow root concealer - but that product pretty much is useless. Covers the grey roots and gives a little volume. It's a good product.

Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine

Very smelly. It's not a bad smell, but it's strong & if you're scent sensitive it never goes away. A small amount goes a long way. It's easy to go from "I don't notice a benefit" to "I look like I drew in my scalp" so practice with it before leaving the house. Definitely get the blonde if you have brown hair as Joan says. It sticks to your scalp, but if you scratch your head you will see it on your finger nail so keep that in mind when out. I've never used this product outside of trying it around the house because the smell & the feel of it on just bother me, but I'm scent sensitive. Since it's on QVC & returnable, I'd say definitely try it.

on 1/7/2014 4:01:00 PM

wow, this product has changed my life!! I've used Caboki as a hairloss concealer for a few years and although its worked very well, I always had a problem applying it on my hairline, which is where I need it most. it seems all hair concealing products suggest not to put it on the hairline because it will look vampirish, but unfortunately for me that is where I need it most.

comparing Caboki to Joan Rivers I found that Joan rivers is probably more geared towards women than men. It would take forever for a man to apply the Joan River's to a big bald spot at the back of the head, and you'd likely have to use a mirror, or better yet, get someone to apply it for you. the Caboki in this sense, is much easier for a guy... just shake it liberally all over the bald spot and it looks great! Unfortunately it looks terrible at the hairline - for some reason it clings to the scalp there and I really had to fiddle with it to make it look presentable.
The Joan Rivers worked great on my hairline!! It didn't look completely natural, but at least it didn't sit on my scalp and was much easier to control how much is needed where. the color match was perfect for me as well (brunette for my Asian hair).

both are supposed to be waterproof, but if it rains I suggest you get an umbrella.

on 11/24/2012 3:11:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

Best thing ever. I have been using it for a few years now, if you are thinning at all it makes all the difference in the world for your confidence. Also works for eyebrows and covering roots. I recommend rinsing the brush after each use, you get a better application.

on 11/24/2012 12:00:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

Today, I received this product in Light Blonde. First, I had a problem opening the compact-like container. After I managed to open it, the lid separated from the bottom and I will have to work at it to put the compact back together - in which case it will be difficult to open again. The product looks like a cake of light brown eye shadow - which had I bought that would not have cost me $29.50 plus $4.47 S&H. I applied some (with the brush) to my grey roots and it's okay in terms of color. You can't get it too close to your hairline because the color is so obvious on your scalp. The instructions do say to avoid the quarter inch before the hairline. Frankly, I feel ridiculous for ordering this product (from QVC) as the only advantage to it is making Joan Rivers even richer than she already is. One more thing - there is a mirror inside the compact. Who in the world would use a tiny mirror to brush on hair color?
----------------------------------
After posting the above, I read AndreaJunelle's posting just below mine. The net weight of the product is .24 oz or 6.8 grms. That's not large - it's tiny for hair color. Also, note the photo of the product which looks like an easel. Try to reassemble the pieces after disassembling them.

on 9/19/2012 12:22:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I watched this previewed on QVC several times before pulling the trigger on it. I was worried it would be like overpriced eye shadow.. It's suggested for thinning hair, to fill in thinning spots and make your hair look fuller, but in early 2012 they showed a model using this to cover up gray roots, and that is exactally what I need it for.
Luckily I do not have thinning hair, but do have a major problem with grays..Most times only 1wk after colorings(sometimes less!) my gray hair starts showing through again, and only 3-4wks after colorings, my gray roots are popping up again which is always quite visible with my dark hair :(
I do change my hair color often, but always stay in the dark blonde - medium red - medium brown range, but was unsure which shade to get (unfortunately I can not remember all of the choices since it's been quite a while) but Joan said on her QVC airing that the "Blonde" shade was the most universal & could work for browns, reds, & blondes. So I went with "Blonde" & it definately was the perfect choice! -It does not look like blonde hair in the compact nor does it apply blonde. (It looks like a medium matte brown powder eyeshadow in a large pan actually..) But goes on very natural & blends into my hair color perfectly (whether I'm a red-head or brunette)!
Better yet, even though my hair is not thinning, this covers up my grays AND makes my hair look more full! -So now everytime I wear my hair down, I just put a few dabs on my roots, throw my hair upside down for a sec, and I get a great full look :)
I paid right around $24-25 USD (which really isn't expensive in the 1st place) but did get it on 2 "easy payments" that QVC often offers, so paid $12 in both Feb. & March'12.
While I was waiting for this to arrive I was worried it would be like overpriced eye shadow..But I have tried eye shadows in the past to cover my roots & they do not work as well as this :) It also comes with a long, short haired brush for application that makes it easier to get the job done, and I've been testing out other brushes with this product to find the best application technique for the way I use this(unfortunately am still not sure which brush of all I've tried is best b/c they're all about the same..)
The large compact this comes in is rather complicated (at least I thought it was! Lol ;D) I can usually figure cosmetic packaging out rather easily but I swear I played with this for 10 minutes before digging out the instructions to get the darn thing open! (it kind of swivels in a circle, then pops the mirror up) -And the mirror is quite large, but I like to apply in my large bathroom or vanity mirror b/c it makes application so much easier. However, I imagine if you had to apply this in a pinch with no other mirror around, the large mirror in the compact would do the trick :)
I know other reviewers have compared this to eye shadow, and I've even made reference to eye shadow in this review of my own, but if you were going to purchase an eye shadow that is as large as this one is -one that is a nice quality, highly pigmented eye shadow that manages to match your haircolor perfectly *even* when you change haircolors, packaged in a large compact with a large mirror AND a brush for application, you'd probably pay $24 anyway! So in my mind that makes this a great deal & I will definately repurchase. I've had this since Feburary 2012 & have not even hit pan (just a mini dip in the product) Definately a 5 lippie product from Joan Rivers Beauty.

on 7/4/2012 4:52:00 PM

This is extraordinarily messy to use. The powder is so fine it flies everywhere: sink, floor, shoulders etc. After trying this I use eyeshadow instead: many more colors to choose from and it works just as well.

on 7/3/2012 10:42:00 PM

I love the product but there are some major problems - the colors are very very limited and the colors that work for me have been out of stock (light blond and read).

I'm a dark strawberry or very light brown with red highlights - you'd think the dark blond would be a reasonable fit out of the 5 or 6 colors offered.

BLOND is actually BROWN...very very brown and dark. So even with light brown hair, the blond makes me look like I have roots.

Customer service is great when you have a problem with the product, they just send a new one, but so far I've only been resent the same wrong product. Sigh.

I love the performance of the product, I simply can't buy it anymore because they don't stock the colors. How can this be? I want to give them money!

Popular Hair Color Products