July 22, 2014 | 2413 users online

Hair Color - Joan Rivers - Great Hair Day - thinning hair fill-in powder

rated 2 of 5 on 6/13/2014 8:05:00 AM More reviews by JulesOfWisdom

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine Eyes: Green

Very smelly. It's not a bad smell, but it's strong & if you're scent sensitive it never goes away. A small amount goes a long way. It's easy to go from "I don't notice a benefit" to "I look like I drew in my scalp" so practice with it before leaving the house. Definitely get the blonde if you have brown hair as Joan says. It sticks to your scalp, but if you scratch your head you will see it on your finger nail so keep that in mind when out. I've never used this product outside of trying it around the house because the smell & the feel of it on just bother me, but I'm scent sensitive. Since it's on QVC & returnable, I'd say definitely try it.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/7/2014 4:01:00 PM More reviews by gurlypowa

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

wow, this product has changed my life!! I've used Caboki as a hairloss concealer for a few years and although its worked very well, I always had a problem applying it on my hairline, which is where I need it most. it seems all hair concealing products suggest not to put it on the hairline because it will look vampirish, but unfortunately for me that is where I need it most.

comparing Caboki to Joan Rivers I found that Joan rivers is probably more geared towards women than men. It would take forever for a man to apply the Joan River's to a big bald spot at the back of the head, and you'd likely have to use a mirror, or better yet, get someone to apply it for you. the Caboki in this sense, is much easier for a guy... just shake it liberally all over the bald spot and it looks great! Unfortunately it looks terrible at the hairline - for some reason it clings to the scalp there and I really had to fiddle with it to make it look presentable.
The Joan Rivers worked great on my hairline!! It didn't look completely natural, but at least it didn't sit on my scalp and was much easier to control how much is needed where. the color match was perfect for me as well (brunette for my Asian hair).

both are supposed to be waterproof, but if it rains I suggest you get an umbrella.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/24/2012 3:11:00 PM More reviews by claratea

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium Eyes: Green

Best thing ever. I have been using it for a few years now, if you are thinning at all it makes all the difference in the world for your confidence. Also works for eyebrows and covering roots. I recommend rinsing the brush after each use, you get a better application.

rated 3 of 5 on 11/24/2012 12:00:00 PM More reviews by lulu2222

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Today, I received this product in Light Blonde. First, I had a problem opening the compact-like container. After I managed to open it, the lid separated from the bottom and I will have to work at it to put the compact back together - in which case it will be difficult to open again. The product looks like a cake of light brown eye shadow - which had I bought that would not have cost me $29.50 plus $4.47 S&H. I applied some (with the brush) to my grey roots and it's okay in terms of color. You can't get it too close to your hairline because the color is so obvious on your scalp. The instructions do say to avoid the quarter inch before the hairline. Frankly, I feel ridiculous for ordering this product (from QVC) as the only advantage to it is making Joan Rivers even richer than she already is. One more thing - there is a mirror inside the compact. Who in the world would use a tiny mirror to brush on hair color?
----------------------------------
After posting the above, I read AndreaJunelle's posting just below mine. The net weight of the product is .24 oz or 6.8 grms. That's not large - it's tiny for hair color. Also, note the photo of the product which looks like an easel. Try to reassemble the pieces after disassembling them.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/19/2012 12:22:00 AM More reviews by AndreaJunelle

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I watched this previewed on QVC several times before pulling the trigger on it. I was worried it would be like overpriced eye shadow.. It's suggested for thinning hair, to fill in thinning spots and make your hair look fuller, but in early 2012 they showed a model using this to cover up gray roots, and that is exactally what I need it for.
Luckily I do not have thinning hair, but do have a major problem with grays..Most times only 1wk after colorings(sometimes less!) my gray hair starts showing through again, and only 3-4wks after colorings, my gray roots are popping up again which is always quite visible with my dark hair :(
I do change my hair color often, but always stay in the dark blonde - medium red - medium brown range, but was unsure which shade to get (unfortunately I can not remember all of the choices since it's been quite a while) but Joan said on her QVC airing that the "Blonde" shade was the most universal & could work for browns, reds, & blondes. So I went with "Blonde" & it definately was the perfect choice! -It does not look like blonde hair in the compact nor does it apply blonde. (It looks like a medium matte brown powder eyeshadow in a large pan actually..) But goes on very natural & blends into my hair color perfectly (whether I'm a red-head or brunette)!
Better yet, even though my hair is not thinning, this covers up my grays AND makes my hair look more full! -So now everytime I wear my hair down, I just put a few dabs on my roots, throw my hair upside down for a sec, and I get a great full look :)
I paid right around $24-25 USD (which really isn't expensive in the 1st place) but did get it on 2 "easy payments" that QVC often offers, so paid $12 in both Feb. & March'12.
While I was waiting for this to arrive I was worried it would be like overpriced eye shadow..But I have tried eye shadows in the past to cover my roots & they do not work as well as this :) It also comes with a long, short haired brush for application that makes it easier to get the job done, and I've been testing out other brushes with this product to find the best application technique for the way I use this(unfortunately am still not sure which brush of all I've tried is best b/c they're all about the same..)
The large compact this comes in is rather complicated (at least I thought it was! Lol ;D) I can usually figure cosmetic packaging out rather easily but I swear I played with this for 10 minutes before digging out the instructions to get the darn thing open! (it kind of swivels in a circle, then pops the mirror up) -And the mirror is quite large, but I like to apply in my large bathroom or vanity mirror b/c it makes application so much easier. However, I imagine if you had to apply this in a pinch with no other mirror around, the large mirror in the compact would do the trick :)
I know other reviewers have compared this to eye shadow, and I've even made reference to eye shadow in this review of my own, but if you were going to purchase an eye shadow that is as large as this one is -one that is a nice quality, highly pigmented eye shadow that manages to match your haircolor perfectly *even* when you change haircolors, packaged in a large compact with a large mirror AND a brush for application, you'd probably pay $24 anyway! So in my mind that makes this a great deal & I will definately repurchase. I've had this since Feburary 2012 & have not even hit pan (just a mini dip in the product) Definately a 5 lippie product from Joan Rivers Beauty.

rated 1 of 5 on 7/4/2012 4:52:00 PM More reviews by leaf9tab

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This is extraordinarily messy to use. The powder is so fine it flies everywhere: sink, floor, shoulders etc. After trying this I use eyeshadow instead: many more colors to choose from and it works just as well.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/3/2012 10:42:00 PM More reviews by Socalkelly

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I love the product but there are some major problems - the colors are very very limited and the colors that work for me have been out of stock (light blond and read).

I'm a dark strawberry or very light brown with red highlights - you'd think the dark blond would be a reasonable fit out of the 5 or 6 colors offered.

BLOND is actually BROWN...very very brown and dark. So even with light brown hair, the blond makes me look like I have roots.

Customer service is great when you have a problem with the product, they just send a new one, but so far I've only been resent the same wrong product. Sigh.

I love the performance of the product, I simply can't buy it anymore because they don't stock the colors. How can this be? I want to give them money!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/11/2012 1:19:00 PM More reviews by anniepm

Living in the UK this product isn't available locally so has to be purchased off the internet which incurs extra shipping charges. Overall, it works out quite expensive. However - I thought it a great product, exactly what I needed for my thinning and pale rooted hair. 100 percent recommended, it's a really easy 'fix', takes a few minutes yet it took about 10 years off me. There's nothing like it here in the UK that I can find that's made specifically for hair. However, I experimented with a dark brown Revlon eyeshadow with a firm 'foundation' brush...and it worked really well too. It doesn't 'stay' just as well on the scalp as Joan's magic product, but it lasts a few days - and is so easily topped up in the morning, especially around the hairline and in front of the ears, gives my highlighted hair some depth and contrast as well as covering up any baldy bits. I don't understand why there's nothing similar to Joan's product in the UK though. So, UK product makers.....or Joan Rivers...a fortune to be made here, if only someone would take up the gauntlet.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/22/2012 12:13:00 AM More reviews by cherinj

Best hair filler I've used to date. This takes some practice getting the application down but once you do it stays until you shampoo. Fills in thinning areas, wide parts and simply covers gray between coloring. Directions say to "dab" onto scalp when hair is dry - for me rub the brush back and forth where needed and I do it while my hair is still damp. It stays and does exactly what it says it will do. I will never be without.

rated 2 of 5 on 1/21/2012 10:50:00 PM More reviews by Rocki

I bought this off of QVC, and was eager to try it, it worked okay, but it made my scalp itch a lot, so I had to return it. I use Toppik, that doesn't bother me at all, but it is expensive, but it works well.