October 25, 2014 | 1659 users online

Shampoo - GVP Generic Value Products - Conditioning Shampoo - Compare to Clairol Shimmer Lights

rated 4 of 5 on 5/16/2014 9:57:00 AM More reviews by katpower

I've recently made a few haircolor mistakes on my naturally dark blonde hair. For many years I was only getting highlights, but now I'm living on an island and have no access to a proper colorist. In the meantime, my hair has really started to get more and more gray so I decided to do an all over color. I used One n Only haircolor in 9N and although my hair felt fabulous I chose the wrong color. It pulled too much gold, strawberry blonde for my skin tone. Then I did my own highlights with the revlon frost n glow which helped a lot. It cut the gold a bit and gave it some much needed depth. But as the color started to fade the unpleasant gold tones just kept creeping back. So then I used wella T10 toner, again....a big improvement but as you know toners don't last. After reading reviews I picked this shampoo up to use until I can tone it again and am very pleased even after one use. I took previous reviewers advice and left it on for about 5 minutes then conditioned with a deep conditioner. It is a noticeable change! I hope to maintain these results until I come up with a solution to the actual problem since I don't have access to any of these products where I live (I have people bringing them from the states). So all in all this is a great product for temporary results.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/8/2013 11:57:00 PM More reviews by rilokiley1289

I have light/medium blonde hair. This shampoo isn't exactly "conditioning" like it says, however I don't really care since that's not the reason I purchase it. This shampoo is excellent at taking out the brassiness of my hair, turning it from yellow blonde to a beautiful cooler blonde. If I leave it on too long it tends to turn my tips (which are much lighter/almost platinum as well as somewhat dry and processed) to a silvery/purplish/blue, this doesn't bother me too much as it's not too noticeable and it fades within a day or so. As long as I'm blonde, this shampoo will be in my shower!

rated 1 of 5 on 8/29/2012 7:30:00 AM More reviews by rosek514

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I hate this purple shampoo. I figured I would save some money, but no... I'm just gonna have to look for another purple shampoo... This actually made my blonde color dull and did not help with brassiest or yellow tints!( weird right? Because its supposed to be made for the OPPOSITE of that! ) it also made my scalp and hair REaLLY dry!!! Not kidding! Also made my scalp itchy!!! Yuck. I'm going to return this today!

rated 5 of 5 on 12/14/2011 10:15:00 PM More reviews by cyberseraphim

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This is such a great shampoo. I have medium strawberry blonde hair right now, which turns very brassy and yellow after only two days. So, I use this shampoo for 5 minutes, rinse out, then use a conditioner afterwards and my hair looks hot! This is almost like a mini-toner in a bottle. Perfect!

I've not experienced any drying, mainly because I use a daily conditioner any time I shampoo. Also, 1-2 times a week I'll do a little deep protein treatment conditioning. The little packets of the Ion brand are amazing. I bought a $15 tub of it that will survive an apocalypse, I love it that much. And don't worry about the smell of this shampoo. I highly recommend that you use a conditioner in your hair care routine which will definitely cover any remaining scent that this product has.

rated 2 of 5 on 10/12/2011 2:34:00 AM More reviews by andthenwekisss

My hair has been dyed quite a few times, and I had to bleach it three time to get the red color out. Anyways after three bleachings and many washings with clarifying shampoo, it was blonde but not platinum, so I bought this stuff. Works well. I never got purple stain, I've left it in for a long time and it came out kinda silvery white. Almost light grey. But the main reason I do not like this is because it is incredibly drying! My hair started looking and feeling awful and I thought it was from the bleach. I decided to stay away from this stuff to let my hair breath and it's returned to being soft and curly and tangle free. Anyways, My hair was getting more and more yellow. I don't like it so I tried this stuff out for about 3-5 minutes and my hair got dried out and gross just from that! I decided that I hate this stuff. It works but it makes your hair feel and look gross.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/21/2011 12:31:00 PM More reviews by kitkatndan

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

i used the "white-out" kit from hot topic to get my hair to a white blonde and this has helped keep it light blonde for a long time!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/18/2011 4:22:00 AM More reviews by XsqueegeeX

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This shampoo ROCKS! It never lets my hair become yellow and nasty, but be warned, if your hair is super processed it WILL stain. Whenever I use it just to maintain blonde tones, I always combine it with regular shampoo until the purple isn't super deep in color. Just let it sit on your hair for about 10 minutes to give it time to work, and you'll have no worries of horrible purple/grey stains :)
I rarely keep my hair as blonde, I mean, it's bleached white, but only to put in awesome crazy colors! I experimented a few months ago, when all of my previous color was pretty much faded out, and I let it sit full strength in my hair (while it was dry) for about an hour. I LOVE the color that it left! My friends call my hair blurple now lol. It's also a heck of a lot cheaper than buying good quality semi permanent color. It's like a silvery blue/purple.
I'm in love with this shampoo! <3

rated 5 of 5 on 7/15/2010 3:47:00 PM More reviews by laitaliana

I actually have light brown hair and this works well getting rid of gold tones. My hair is long and rather porous so it always grabs dye darker on the ends and as a result, the top of my hair turns out lighter :( last time I dyed it, I used a blonde color to keep it light brown and the top part of my hair was light yellow/brown and NOT CUTE! Instead of damaging my hair any further, I decided to take a chance on this stuff and after only 1 use, everything blends in so much better. I'm so relieved! Big reduction on the yellow tones and makes everything even. Plus, I didn't have to dye it for the 3rd time in 2 months which is important to me because I love my long hair. So glad this works :)

rated 5 of 5 on 1/13/2010 6:24:00 PM More reviews by blessed11

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

I must always have a bottle of this on hand!
Brightens my blond hair and takes out the yellow.
I don't know that I'd actually call it conditioning though. I think of it more of a clarifying shampoo because it gets rid of the yellow/brassiness (I think the color is sometimes due to my shower water). I typically use this a few times a week.
If I use it after a fews weeks of not using it my boyfriend always comments that my hair looks blonder.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/9/2009 6:59:00 PM More reviews by flairgirl8

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Awesome product if you have brassy or canary yellow tints in your hair. This saved me from a hair catasrophe and now I always keep a bottle on hand. I like it better than the Clairol Shimmering lights because it has a different, much lighter fragrance. I wash my hair with this and then repeat leaving the second lathering on for 5-10 minutes. I ususally do this 2-3 week depending on my hair's need.