GVP Generic Value Products Conditioning Shampoo - Compare to Clairol Shimmer Lights

4.3

i bought two gigantic bottles of this when Sallys had a special - i think it was b1g1free? might have been b2g1 and i had another coupon, i don't remember exactly but i know i came home with three gihugic bottles (two of this, one of a conditioner) (that conditioner, Ion Effective Care Treatment, is awful, it stinks like coconut and feels like wax!).

i put a pump top on it, i think it was left from an old bottle of Philosophy lotion? the huge bottle of shampoo sits nicely on the corner of the tub, and anchors the shower curtain down.

i have waist-length, slightly wavy, baby-fine hair that is naturally dark blonde but has been dyed nearly every colour imaginable. sadly a stylist fried my hair years ago and so i've been trying to be kind to it since to keep it from dissolving/breaking. our hard water likes to make whatever colour i do put on my hair go all brassy-chestnutty no matter how hard i try to keep it dark-dark-dark-dingy-dishwater-blonde.
if my natural colour came in a box, i'd dye it that colour. in the meantime...

i normally use Suave or V05 shampoo. i don't own a hair dryer and don't use heat styling tools (except for my 80s waving iron, maybe once a year).

i use this every so often, and let it sit on my hair for 5-10 minutes in the shower (use the switch i installed on the shower head to turn the water down to a drip while lathering/scrubbing/doing other showery things without wasting water) and rinse. although my hair is baby-fine and damaged, i don't think occasional use of this would add any visible purpley hue to my hair. it probably could to paler hair, though.

the smell? violet candies. Choward violet mints to be specific (BPAL fans of violet-y scents might love this shampoo just for the scent. trufax!).

i tried it once as a hand soap, and it did leave a faint purpley tint to my hands for a few hours. whoda thunk it?

strangely this shampoo feels like it might be a little bit like a 2-in-1 (like Pert Plus?), but not good at it. it really needs to be followed up with a conditioner. again, i follow it up with v05 or Suave. i might spend a little more on hair products if i get a good deal, but those two brands have never done me wrong, so i stick with them.

(*gives Haalsa a sidelong glare** even if it isn't being sold anymore, i'll never forget the pain of that marigold? shampoo for blonde hair getting in my eyes, even though it has been well over 20 years ago now!)

i digress.

i've used one full bottle of this, and am part of the way into the second. i use four pumps - probably half to 3/4 a shot glass full? which is more product than would actually be needed to shampoo my hair, but i slather it on in the hopes that it will make my hair ashy.

have i seen visible results? i don't know. but when purchased on sale the price is tolerable, and on the off chance that it might help, i'll keep using it.

on 5/2/2015 11:54:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Sally's has sales and I got this in a liter bottle for $9 I think, what a great deal! This works the same as other purple shampoos, anyone who complains isn't letting it sit on their hair long enough. When I bleach my hair I will put this on and let it sit 30min-1hour to tone. I have hard water so my blonde hair turns dishwater fast, I use this shampoo almost every wash and let it sit while I shave (maybe 5min). Then I use a good conditioner. This purple shampoo has never turned my hair purple, just a nice ash blonde.

Had this product once before when I was trying to get my blonde white, worked wonders! I recently did my own ombre, I started with faded red hair (warm chestnut red) I guess.. Ive been dying my own hair for years bleaching once never seems to turn out right.. 😔 I was planning on doing an ombre then dying my while head red again to get my ends brighter, anyways I ended up loving my blondish orange ombre so I kept it. I went to Sallys to get this purple shampoo, the lady told me it'll only tone down the 'yellow' she is so wrong! After a week of using it every other day on my entire head my red is turning more brown and I swear my roots are lightening also (black Asian hair). This product gets super sudsy which I love, and it smells okay not a bouquet of flowers but who cares cause it works! ❤ When I used this conditioning shampoo I leave it on 5 minutes, maybe not the best idea because it is rather drying to my hair. Really recommend this product if you're wanting to remove yellow orange or red from your blonde or hair!.. (brassiness) ❤brooklyn

on 5/16/2014 9:57:00 AM

I've recently made a few haircolor mistakes on my naturally dark blonde hair. For many years I was only getting highlights, but now I'm living on an island and have no access to a proper colorist. In the meantime, my hair has really started to get more and more gray so I decided to do an all over color. I used One n Only haircolor in 9N and although my hair felt fabulous I chose the wrong color. It pulled too much gold, strawberry blonde for my skin tone. Then I did my own highlights with the revlon frost n glow which helped a lot. It cut the gold a bit and gave it some much needed depth. But as the color started to fade the unpleasant gold tones just kept creeping back. So then I used wella T10 toner, again....a big improvement but as you know toners don't last. After reading reviews I picked this shampoo up to use until I can tone it again and am very pleased even after one use. I took previous reviewers advice and left it on for about 5 minutes then conditioned with a deep conditioner. It is a noticeable change! I hope to maintain these results until I come up with a solution to the actual problem since I don't have access to any of these products where I live (I have people bringing them from the states). So all in all this is a great product for temporary results.

I have light/medium blonde hair. This shampoo isn't exactly "conditioning" like it says, however I don't really care since that's not the reason I purchase it. This shampoo is excellent at taking out the brassiness of my hair, turning it from yellow blonde to a beautiful cooler blonde. If I leave it on too long it tends to turn my tips (which are much lighter/almost platinum as well as somewhat dry and processed) to a silvery/purplish/blue, this doesn't bother me too much as it's not too noticeable and it fades within a day or so. As long as I'm blonde, this shampoo will be in my shower!

on 8/29/2012 7:30:00 AM

I hate this purple shampoo. I figured I would save some money, but no... I'm just gonna have to look for another purple shampoo... This actually made my blonde color dull and did not help with brassiest or yellow tints!( weird right? Because its supposed to be made for the OPPOSITE of that! ) it also made my scalp and hair REaLLY dry!!! Not kidding! Also made my scalp itchy!!! Yuck. I'm going to return this today!

on 12/14/2011 10:15:00 PM

This is such a great shampoo. I have medium strawberry blonde hair right now, which turns very brassy and yellow after only two days. So, I use this shampoo for 5 minutes, rinse out, then use a conditioner afterwards and my hair looks hot! This is almost like a mini-toner in a bottle. Perfect!

I've not experienced any drying, mainly because I use a daily conditioner any time I shampoo. Also, 1-2 times a week I'll do a little deep protein treatment conditioning. The little packets of the Ion brand are amazing. I bought a $15 tub of it that will survive an apocalypse, I love it that much. And don't worry about the smell of this shampoo. I highly recommend that you use a conditioner in your hair care routine which will definitely cover any remaining scent that this product has.

My hair has been dyed quite a few times, and I had to bleach it three time to get the red color out. Anyways after three bleachings and many washings with clarifying shampoo, it was blonde but not platinum, so I bought this stuff. Works well. I never got purple stain, I've left it in for a long time and it came out kinda silvery white. Almost light grey. But the main reason I do not like this is because it is incredibly drying! My hair started looking and feeling awful and I thought it was from the bleach. I decided to stay away from this stuff to let my hair breath and it's returned to being soft and curly and tangle free. Anyways, My hair was getting more and more yellow. I don't like it so I tried this stuff out for about 3-5 minutes and my hair got dried out and gross just from that! I decided that I hate this stuff. It works but it makes your hair feel and look gross.

on 2/21/2011 12:31:00 PM

i used the "white-out" kit from hot topic to get my hair to a white blonde and this has helped keep it light blonde for a long time!

on 1/18/2011 4:22:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium

This shampoo ROCKS! It never lets my hair become yellow and nasty, but be warned, if your hair is super processed it WILL stain. Whenever I use it just to maintain blonde tones, I always combine it with regular shampoo until the purple isn't super deep in color. Just let it sit on your hair for about 10 minutes to give it time to work, and you'll have no worries of horrible purple/grey stains :)
I rarely keep my hair as blonde, I mean, it's bleached white, but only to put in awesome crazy colors! I experimented a few months ago, when all of my previous color was pretty much faded out, and I let it sit full strength in my hair (while it was dry) for about an hour. I LOVE the color that it left! My friends call my hair blurple now lol. It's also a heck of a lot cheaper than buying good quality semi permanent color. It's like a silvery blue/purple.
I'm in love with this shampoo! <3