September 17, 2014 | 1270 users online

Hair Color - Wella - Color Charm Liquid Creme Haircolor

rated 5 of 5 on 5/22/2014 5:07:00 PM More reviews by portalhop

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This is a review for Wella Color Charm Liquid Permanent Hair Color in 607/6RV Cyclamen. I had medium-light brown hair with a 5 RR weaved professionally through it and honey colored highlights (no bleach was used for the highlights, or the red). I liked this look for about a week, and then decided that it was too blonde/brunette and that I wanted all over red hair. Not wanting to spend any more money in a salon, I did some research and went to Sally's. * I bought two bottles of Cyclamen and a bottle of 10 developer. I mixed a 1:1 ratio of the color to developer, because I didn't want it to lighten my hair. I left the mixture on my head for 35 minutes then rinsed it out (it did stain my tub). And BEHOLD, beautiful, even, dark red-purple color that completely covered the blonde and brunette. My hair feels and looks amazing. I will be doing my own color from now on.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 4/12/2014 2:45:00 PM More reviews by allymack

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

This is a review for Wella Color Charm in 740.5/8A. I've been gradually lightening my hair from my natural medium/dark brown for the past six months. Basically, every six weeks, instead of just touching up my roots I dye my whole head. I did this once with a level 40 developer and Ion color brilliance hair color (mix of 8V and 10V), and the second time with 30 vol. developer and Ion Color Brilliance hair color (9V).
Anyways, my hair was getting fairly blonde, I'd say a level 8 with maybe some level 9 highlights. The only problem was that there were still some ginger tones in there. Even toning with Wella T18 didn't help a whole lot. I'm going for a very cool ash blonde. Taylor Swift's almost greyish ash blonde is pretty much my ideal. So cute. But, obviously the strawberry tones are an obstacle to achieving anything close to that.
Last night, I decided to try Wella Color Charm in 740.5/8A, just to see if a departure from my usual brand produced better results. I mixed 30 vol. Ion developer and the Wella in a 2:1 ratio, applied it with a brush, and left it for 45 minutes.
First thought during application: this stuff is noxious as hell. I thought I was going to suffocate when I was applying it; my eyes were streaming. And this was with the bathroom fan on and the bathroom door open. I used the same developer with my Ion hair color and I never experienced this, so it's definitely the Wella. It was intense. So intense that when my boyfriend came in to help me do the back of my head, after thirty seconds he went and put on a surgical mask, which he normally wears to work with paint thinners and other caustic materials, in order to get the job done.
Anyways, after the 45 minutes were up I did a light shampoo and then conditioned. Almost immediately as I rinsed, I noticed my hair felt significantly more damaged than it had after using the Ion. That said, I have processed my hair several times over the past several months, so I can't say with certainty that this is due to the Wella and rather than cumulative damage.
On to the most important part: the color. Once my hair dried, I noticed it looked quite a bit darker than it was before this dye job. Obviously this is quite annoying, since by gradually lightening my hair I'm counting on each processing job taking me a little lighter. So this was a step backwards. This might very well be my fault. Last time I dyed, I used Ion 9V. This was 8A. The reason I chose 8A was that the swatch looked to me to be as light as 9V. In other words, the swatch is not an accurate portrayal. Pick the colour level you think is right regardless of the swatch! That's what I've learned. This was probably a rookie mistake.
The good: the ginger is totally gone. Even when I was choosing the violet based Ion hues, I was getting a fair bit of ginger. So I am quite impressed with this result. I'd say what I have now is a light ash brown or dark ash blonde, with pretty damaged hair. Hopefully a coconut oil mask will take care of that.
Next I think I'll try the Wella Color Charm in 9A to see if I can get lighter again. Maybe the Wella ash dyes do a better job of nixing brass than the violet Ion dyes. Or maybe I should be trying Ion 9A instead of 9V. Who knows.
ANYways. If you're going blonde and having trouble getting out ginger, you might want to give a Wella ash blonde a shot. In six weeks I'll go back to the lab and update (or do a new review if I try a new brand) with the results of my next experiment.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/18/2014 4:33:00 PM More reviews by hollisterco

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

So... I had my hair lightened to a level 6-7 but it was brassy and orangey. I tried the One'N Only Argan Oil hair color in a 7N and it did NOTHING for my hair. Not even tone down any of the shades... it was as if I didn't dye my hair.

I decided to grab this hair dye at Sally's and the lady working insisted they did NOT run dark, and told me they're true to color. So I mixed a 6A (ash) and 6N (neutral) with a 10 developer, 1:2 ratio as the box said. My hair is DARK BROWN.

The good: The color covered my hair PERFECTLY. My hair had been bleached so was a bit uneven - roots were lighter and ends were darker, and brassy... this colored it all evenly. It's a perfect, ashy neutral dark brown. My hair doesn't even feel like I dyed it. (I use Bedhead Urban Antidotes Level 2 Shampoo & Conditioner, and a deep conditioner with argan oil from Sally's, so that may help as well).

The bad: It's DARK BROWN. It looked black when it was wet and I almost had a heart attack. The hair color was a level 6, aka dark blonde, and I'm dark brown. Hopefully this fades.

I'm not that angry just because this left my hair in a nice shade (neutral, not brassy) and in good condition. I recommend trying atleast a shade below what you want, it's always easier to go darker than to go lighter. I'll definitely try this color line again because it covered my stubborn, bleached hair perfectly, but will certainly go to a lighter shade.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/14/2013 7:24:00 PM More reviews by pdxpark

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Today I colored my hair with Wella color charm liquid creme in 5NW. My hair is normally a dark brown, and I usually stay with that color when choosing to dye my hair. I'm one who has early gray hair, so I've been dying my hair for over 15 years starting with semi-permanent to now permanent color.
For the last 6 years I've been using Herbatint hair color, but after today I'm switching to Wella color because of the color but also my hair doesn't feel like straw afterwards. The Herbatint seems like it would be less harsh, but I think Wella is less drying on my hair, which I prefer so I'm switching. One other reason I wanted to try Wella is because it's gluten free. I have really severe intolerance to gluten so that is an real issue when trying to find color, shampoo, and conditioner. I haven't had a reaction, so I'm happy with results even more because of this.

I left the color in for 30 minutes and mixed 1:2 ratio, color to developer. For shampooing and conditioning afterwards, I tried the Wells Brilliance shampoo and conditioner. I like them both as well because of the nice lather, smoothing ability, and soft (not oily) conditioning, and they are gluten free!

rated 3 of 5 on 6/7/2013 10:26:00 PM More reviews by Debrianna

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I've been trying to get my hair the perfect blonde tone for my skin and eye colour for ages. My problem is my eyes are defined as "warm" (predominantly med. gold brn w/some green and w/dk. brn. flecks and irises surrounded by a grey ring. Talk about a mix!) Then my skin is very fair with a blue/red undertone (definitely "cool", right?) but then I have freckles all over which are a light brown and considered "warm". My hair is level 8 ash blonde and my regrowth is 85% white the rest pepper. I'm finding the 8 ash has that slightly greenish tinge that ashes can have even when mixed with a bit of 8N and I hate that. So I've been trying to get to a honey beige blonde thinking that will be perfect for my weird eye/skin coloring. Today for the first time I tried Wella Color Charm liquid creme #1070 Honey Beige Blonde and I have yet to see it in the daylight, but so far I'm very happy with it. It is not one dimentional but has nice highlights but that could be because I have salt and pepper hair and white hair is more resistent to dying so you end up with these lovely natural looking hightlights. I did my roots first then went back and did the rest of the hair shafts because I was "changing" the overall color leaving it on a total of 45 min. Next time, I'll do the roots only and comb the rest through for just the last 10 minutes. I'll mention here you should not panic at the weird colors this solution will go through while on your hair if you're already blonde the way I am. The roots went a bright orange auburn with the shafts much darker and by the end of the 45 min. was an overall very dark auburn. This is not the color you end up with. There was no trace of red in the finished blow dried hair so do not panic and wash it out early.
I had stripped the colour from my hair several months ago in an effort to go palest blonde and grow out my natural salt and pepper hair. I hated it. I mention that only because it's made that part of my hair very resistent to holding on to any color I use. So my regrowth (only about an inch at this point) is now that perfect shade of Honey Beige Blonde that I've been seeking. Yesss! Thank you Wella! While the rest after being freshly done is much the same but I know after a few washes the ash will probably be noticeable again. So I guess I will just have to persevere--getting regular trims (my hair's short) until it's all "new growth". BTW, I use Paul Mitchell Instant Moisture shampoo and conditioner immediately following coloring. I towel dry the hair then comb through the conditioner and leave it on for 10 min. then rinse out being sure to finsih with a very cold rinse for shine. My hair is soft and very shiny even after freshly coloring. I agree that this Wella Color Charm has a very strong odor but it doesn't linger in your hair, thank goodness. I will definitely use this hair color again. I'll get 2 colorings from just the one bottle--an excellent deal!
I should also mention to be careful about the level color you choose. This went quite dark for a level 8 haircolor. I had bought 2 shades in the same tone and I'm glad I used the lighter one. It's easy to color your hair darker if you want but impossible to go lighter without stripping your hair first so definitely choose a color 2 shades lighter than you want to end up with :)
UPDATE: So, outisde it was totally one dimensional so I'm changing my review to 3 lipsticks. Now I have to add highlights (use 30 vol. developer with a shade 2-3 shades lighter) and lowlights (use 20 vol. developer w/shade 2-3 shades darker) using foils or just paint them on freehand. A lot of work, heavy sigh. But I still love this as an all-over base color and it's not washing out.

rated 2 of 5 on 10/15/2012 5:21:00 PM More reviews by melyndaw

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Fair, Cool Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

Was pretty disappointed with the lack of gray coverage with this product. I used the Neutral Protein Filler product prior to applying the Wella Color Charm color, and it still didn't cover the gray hairs. I agree with other reviewers that the color tends to be a bit one-dimensional. I used the Light Golden Blond with 20 volume developer. Won't be buying it again, still looking for a brand that will cover those pesky grays!

rated 4 of 5 on 3/9/2012 3:42:00 PM More reviews by Dlou

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I read Carekate's review of this product (see under reviews for Color Charm Gel Permanent)--and thought she sounded like she knew what she was doing. I've had some real problems with store dye kits; the color comes out very very dark (even light ash brown), the developer makes my scalp itch and peel, and it all looks very one-note drab.

I bought the color charm colors nutmeg, dark blonde, and dark auburn--and the fabulous Ion Sensitive Scalp developer in 20. Mixed the colors pretty evenly (next time will use a little less nutmeg in the mix), used the developer to the 2:1 ratio, and added the ardell red/gold color corrector. I wish I'd had the nerve to strip that dark nice-n-easy dye from my hair, but I was scared to be too hard on my fine, dry hair.

Anyway, the color came out great! And I had NO problems with my scalp--a huge difference. The color itself isn't perfect, but that's because of my refusal to strip the hair. But it is much, much, much better. A lovely darkish auburn and very sophisticated. And it seems to be really covering my greys.

I am a fan. I also love the sort of chemistry set experimenting with the colors. . .kept a notepad with the amount of capfulls of each dye used. I really like this stuff, and thanks to Carekate for telling me how to do this!

rated 3 of 5 on 2/27/2012 1:06:00 AM More reviews by Rosse3685

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I had high hopes for this product to be honest... A hairdresser said she swore by it. Used it on my mom followed the directions to a T. (I used dark ash blonde on her) and it turned out lighter at the roots and a very warm light golden brown color! Not even remotely close to ash. Not an awful color,just not what she wanted at all! I mean if it's professional stuff it should come out the color it says it is!!! Oh and it smelled so potently bad. Very dissappointed.

rated 1 of 5 on 2/5/2012 7:53:00 PM More reviews by RedNinjaGirl

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Never again! It does fade more slowly than most, but the color is very flat with no highlights. And, they recently changed the formula, so the colors are not the same.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/13/2011 12:01:00 PM More reviews by HollywoodIceQueen

I love the color I used to get, only problem, it is "permanent" but totally faded with a month or so.