Palmer's Coconut Oil Shampoo

2.8

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I found this product to be very heavy - not meant for every day use, maybe once a week or so. It is very thick, smells lovely and foams up really nice. Leaves my hair feeling silky and conditioned.Great if you have damaged hair. Would always recomend and buy again!

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

This is one of those products that I should've returned before using (after reading the unfavorable reviews after I'd already made the purchase.)

Shampoos and conditioners are so hit or miss for me... I still don't know why I try brands other than the four tried and true ones that always preform well for me (John Freida, TiGi, Dove, and Pantene.) When I see a shampoo and conditioner duo that I've never tried before that piques my interest, I need to remind myself that 9.9 times out of 10 they're NOT gonna work for me and realize that I could've better spent my $10 or so on a shampoo and conditioner that actually work.

So for this review, I used the coconut oil shampoo and conditioner from this brand in conjunction. The packaging is standard and the price was around $5 for each bottle of product. I like the smell of this a lot... an artificial coconut (I don't understand why people expect a drugstore shampoo to smell like a freshly cut open coconut.. yeah, it's gonna be a little artificial smelling but you can still tell that it's coconut and it still smells good.)

The texture of the shampoo was promising, as well as that of the conditioner. When I got out of the shower, my hair was more tangled than normal. I brushed through it and found it just to be... average. When I can use shampoo and conditioner that actually do something for my hair, why would I use something that cleans but doesn't add moisture or volume or shine or anything? At first I thought alright, this isn't too terrible. I can use these products up and then buy something worthwhile next go around. But no. On the second or third day of using this my scalp started flaking SO badly. It was absolutely disgusting. When I switched back over to the last bit of the shampoo and conditioner I'd been using prior (TiGi) my scalp settled down and went right back to normal.

So this stuff is okay (at best) except for the fact that for me it made my normal scalp turn into a dandruffy mess... will not repurchase and do not recommend.

Skin: Normal, Medium, Neutral

This review is for PALMERS COCONUT OIL SULFATE-FREE CONDITIONING SHAMPOO... not their regular shampoo, FYI.
This shampoo is interesting... I cant quite figure out if I love it or not. The effects it leaves me with are unlike any shampoo ive used, including Devacurl no-poo, which is similarly formulated to moisturize and be non-stripping.
This difference is apparent even after conditioning.
I suppose the coconut oil in it is part of this difference, but also, unfortunately I think the keratin in this is the downfall for me.

After washing and conditioning, and while its still wet, my hair looks and behaves as if I rubbed oil in it. Its really apparent, and unusual.
Once it dries (I only air dry my hair) there is zero sign of oil or greasiness ... and my hair is definitely nice and clean feeling. It also feels more substantial, like each strand of hair was injected with something to make it stronger and slightly heavier. Hair is very swingy!
Unfortunately, though, I think I cant use this shampoo much, because something in it makes my hair sort of stiff (most likely the keratin).

At the same time, however, my hairs natural wave gets really enhanced from using this stuff. So strange.
Another thing: When I use conditioner after this shampoo my conditioner just seems to sit on my hair. Its as if my hair is too "full" to absorb anything else.
I can see that this shampoo IS gentle, as well as being a fantastic hair and scalp cleanser. I can also tell that it really is moisturizing.
I suppose my hair is just doing what it does with keratin or protein here, which is that it stiffens each strain too much, taking away its natural light bounce.
I wish they made it without protein... It might just be perfect for me then.
The price is phenomenal for this product and I think for the right hair types this shampoo would be a godsend. I dont think its the shampoo for me, sadly.

Other than all of the above, it smells great, and it easily makes rich, luxurious, copious suds. Its a joy to use this shampoo in the shower.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I didn't love it but I didn't hate it. It only gives you little moisture in your hair. It doesn't take the frizziness away. I still had to detangle my hair. What I liked about it that it made your hair smell really nice and doesn't have the harsh chemicals. I'm not sure if I'd repurchase this product again. I would have loved if the product worked like it saids. That would of gave me a "wow" I'm a little dissapointed. I'm give this this product a 7.

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure

i used the shampoo and conditioner did not like it my hair seemed dry i was using garniea and decided to change hoping there was less chemicals in palmers which there was not anything damaging i guess is just did not agree with my hair. now i have all this shampoo. also my scalp start itching a little.. that is a no no.. so i may just use what i bought and not buy again...

I picked a bottle of this shampoo up because it said it was a conditioning shampoo, and my usual hair products weren't cutting it this winter. My hair remained dry and strawlike no matter what, so I felt it was time to switch it up. This is a nice thick creamy white shampoo that smells heavenly, usually I'm not one for coconut scents but I really enjoyed it, almost made think it was warmer weather out lol. This shampoo felt like it both cleansed my hair and provided mositurizer, but despite that I still used a conditioner in the shower just because. The result was my hair finally felt better moisturized and was able to retain that more importantly. My hair didn't feel weighed down or greasy. For $5 it was definitely worth it and if my next hair wash routine doesn't work out I may return to this one. Even my husband was drawn to this since I caught his hair smelling like coconut at times, he admitted to stealing a bit and enjoying it more than his basic shampoo.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

I'm a little on the fence about this shampoo. I love the smell, it actually smells like proper coconut not some chemical fake smell. My hair is extremely fine and I was afraid this sort of 'moisturizing' shampoo would weigh it down. My hair also has highlights so I didn't want anything to change the colour or strip it of moisture too much.

This shampoo is sulfate free which makes it safe for my hair colour. Also, no silicones, so it doesn't 'over-sleek' my fine hair. Normally my hair gets greasy super fast, but not with this shampoo.

What I love about this product is that it's so mild, no dry, itchy scalp. At the same time it leaves my hair thicker than any volume shampoo I have ever tried.

You'd think with all this I wouldn't hesitate to buy again... Yet there's one little thing that really annoys me about it. For some reason I can't seem to rinse this stuff out properly. Even when my hair is completely dry, the top of it sometimes still feels slightly damp, which is weird. Funnily enough it doesn't show at all, it doesn't look greasy, but I feel like it does. My boyfriend thinks I'm paranoid and doesn't think it feels damp or greasy at all, but I beg to differ.

Other than that this stuff is pretty amazing and I do feel it's doing my hair a world of good... And I can't resist the gorgeous smell. So at the moment I'm thinking it may be worth taking a bit more care in rinsing it out properly.

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

This shampoo smells of chemical coconut (slightly less chemical than the matching conditioner). This left my scalp itchy, flakey and dry, and my curly hair was left dry and rough when used in conjunction with the conditioner. (I used the remainder of my small bottle as body wash, which surprisingly didn't irritate my skin).

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

The smell is divine. however, no noticeable improvements for damaged hair like mine. I've used real pure coconut oil instead and the results were much better. I repeat, the smell of Palmers' products is seductive.

Because it said coconut oil on the package, I bought it at Big Lots for 1$1.80, but it is so drying to my hair. I see the drying affects immediately. My hair tangles so easily after this, and there is no benefit w/this other than smell. If you like coconut scent this may be for you. If you want moisture, clean, shiny soft hair...this may not be for you. It wasn't for me. Even at the price, I wouldn't purchase again.
Note, I do not blowdry, curl or straighten my hair often. Just once a week. Other than that, I am a wash n air dry my hair kinda person.
This did nothing good for my hair. Sorry!