August 1, 2014 | 1834 users online

Eye Shadow - BeneFit Cosmetics - Velvet Eyeshadow Where There's Smoke

image 0image 1image 2

rated 4 of 5 on 7/19/2013 11:19:00 AM More reviews by maysundstrom

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Great colour. But you should really use a primer first if you have oily eyelids

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/20/2011 4:38:00 PM More reviews by mariella99

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I purchased Where There's Smoke after chatting with the Benefit area sales rep at an in store "event". She was telling me that it looks terrific over Birthday Suit, or perhaps it was Skinny Jeans (2 other great Benefit shadows that I own). So even though I wasn't actually planning on making any Benefit purchases that day, the look of the shadow really appealed to me and I bought it. I am happy as anything with my purchase. This is a lovely taupey dark beige/grey shadow with a pretty sheen and very good qualities in terms of pigmentation and blendability. I'd heard this was a dupe for MAC's Smoke & Diamonds, which I do own and like very much, but I find them very different indeed. To me, Where There's Smoke seems less garish and more neutral and flattering. I've yet to try it over Skinny Jeans, as was recommeded, but I love it on its own (over a primer, of course) on my lid and lower lid, with MAC's Charcoal Brown in the crease and black liner smudged into my lashes, it makes for a perfect "any time" eye look that is perfect for a work environment.

UPDATE: I'm really sad that since Benefit reformulated their powder eye shadows, they have discontinued this colour. It is such a beautiful shade that I really enjoy wearing. If I ever finish it up (I've rarely hit pan on an eye shadow, let alone finished one!), I will really miss it.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 12/7/2011 2:50:00 PM More reviews by carrasco

This is a cool toned shimmery grey taupe. I actually don't prefer this color, I thought I would until I tried it on me. I would much rather have a brown or purple toned taupe. The color is pigmented and easy to apply & blend. The package is hard for me to get open and I think the birds is strange. I will not repurchase this. I just read some other reviews and I totally agree that it seems to have a greenish tone to it. I didn't see any green on my NC25 skin tho.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/31/2011 7:05:00 PM More reviews by CBC135

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

This is a great shade to use over or under eye liner. It has just the right amount of shimmer and can be applied either lightly or heavily for a more dramatic look. Does not crease.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 5/26/2011 3:40:00 AM More reviews by soleil_kitty

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Hm, difficult. I admit, I'm disappointed. First, I read so many raving reviews about this and second, in the pan it looks like the most gorgeous taupe there probably ever was. It's divine!! But after applying it, it appears green on my lids, especially in artificial light. I wish I knew why but once applied it resembles MAC's Green Smoke. There is no silver or brown shimmer to it anymore. Mysterious, absolutely. It sure has all the traits of a good eyeshadow: well pigmented, easy to apply & blend. But in my eyes it's not colourfast and that is always a huge let-down. I expected so much and now I find myself with a Green Smoke dupe. In sunlight, the green is toned down a bit in favor of a golden/brown sheen but still, it's not quite what I expected. I wanted to colour to show up on my lids as it looks in the pan and it doesn't. I don't even know how to rate it. It's quite unique, surely, and the quality is doubtlessly worth the money. It makes my blue-green eyes POP (yes, capital letters!) and is great for a cold smokey eye (I'm NC15, very pale) but I didn't fall in love immediately as I had hoped. So it's gonna be three lippies for now. Maybe I'll change my mind over the course of time, who knows? For now, the disappointment is just too prominent :(

rated 5 of 5 on 3/27/2011 3:34:00 PM More reviews by dlkarp

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I agree...a lovely velvety eyeshadow..which really makes green eyes POP. I use with my creaseless eyeshadow from benefit in a shade called Birthday Suit. I apply with my talent brush to the eyelids (adding a little to the corner of my eyes) and then apply this shade with my fluff brush in the creases...and then add some liquid liner :-) really nice result and excellent staying powder!!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/10/2011 10:45:00 PM More reviews by amaizeingndn

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

a gorgeous gunmetal-ish color. it's great for everyday or you can make it really dramatic. These shadows are so creamy feeling, even though they're powders. the staying powder is also excellent (with primer anyway, that's the only way I wear eyeshadow). I can't believe there aren't more reviews for these, I think they're so overlooked!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/10/2011 4:36:00 PM More reviews by harls321

The quality of these shadows are amazing.....so silky smooth you don't even need a brush. This is a beautiful smoky, gray taupe color that goes well with a lot of different looks. Go for day and night.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/5/2010 7:23:00 PM More reviews by modgal1

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Stunning color on my green eyes. I use Mac Soft Brown in the crease with this. I've already bought a pack up of Where There's Smoke. It's that good!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/9/2010 5:04:00 PM More reviews by AWilliams87

I almost want to stock up on all these colors, but the smoke shade is so pretty! It's a silvery-taupe color that makes my brown eyes look really big and makes them pop. There is so much color pay off and it applies like a dream!