September 30, 2014 | 1784 users online

Sunscreen - Ocean Potion - Ocean Potion Natural Mineral Protective Lotion, Faces SPF 45, Tinted Sunblock

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/29/2011 4:12:00 PM More reviews by JenPhil1313

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Grey

I have purchased several bottle over the years and this is one of my all time favorite sunscreens. I have very fair, sensitive skin and cannot tolerate chemical sunscreens. This has a light tint to it and acts as a sheer tinted moisturizer. I think it's a great all in one product that adds moisture, a little color and great sun protection. I hope they never stop making it. It is a little hard to find- I have been getting it from drugstore.com.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 7/14/2009 5:27:00 PM More reviews by stellarfungi

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

Me: 22, with very sensitive combination skin - oily nose/chin, dry cheeks/forehead. a MAC NC20, for tint match purposes.

The product: $6.50 for 3 ounces on drugstore.com and next to impossible to find anywhere else - online, anyway. It comes in a squeeze tube, but this is a fairly runny lotion and a pump would have been preferable. Whenever I turn the tube over, I waste a little bit of sunscreen. There must have been an ingredients mixup between the 3 new Ocean Potion mineral sunblocks, because despite listing fragrance on the bottle, this is fragrance-free and is advertised as such. The tint is very, very sheer and matched well with my NC20, golden-toned skin. The Ciba Sunscreen Simulator estimates a PPD of around 7.3.

My experience: The only other tinted sunscreen I've ever used was the EltaMD SPF 41. I found that one to be very pleasantly matte, but it exposed all my flaky areas, so I was hoping that this, being a more moisturizing formula, would do a little better.

It did end up covering more flakes - only my forehead, which is my worst area, was exposed for the flake haven it is. My cheeks, nose and chin absorbed it smoothly. But the coverage came with a price...this is not as matte as the Elta SPF 41, nor does it come close to matching the elegant finish of the sunscreens I use daily. I would describe the end effect as "satiny", and good for those with normal or dry skin, or those who are only slightly oily and don't mind powdering over their sunscreen. I don't like to have to fuss with my sunscreens to get them to finish correctly, so I'm not going to repurchase this and I doubt I will reuse it, either, although I will keep it in my skincare inventory just in case I ever feel like giving it a whirl again.

I found it to be a very light color, suitable for pale skin, but I'm not sure the tint would match to those who are cool-toned. I am warm-toned and it was 95% correct for my skin fairness and tone.

Active Ingredients: Titanium Dioxide (12%), Zinc Oxide (3%)

Other Ingredients: Water, C12 15 Alkyl Benzoate, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Oil, Dimethicone, Propylene Glycol, Behenyl Alcohol, Acrylates Copolymer, Vaccinium Macrocarpon (Cranberry) Seed Oil, Sea Water, Panthenol, Macrocystis Pyrifera (Kelp) Extract, Tocopheryl Acetate, Ascorbic Acid, Retinol Palmitate, Pyridoxine HCl, Cholecalciferol, Octyldodecanol, Silica, Sodium Propoxyhydroxypropyl Thiosulfate Silica, Xanthan Gum, PEG 16 Macadamia Glycerides, Zea Mays (Corn) Oil, Steareth 21, Steareth 2, Laureth 7, Dipropylene Glycol, Polyacrylamide, C13 14 Isoparaffin, Methyldibromo Glutaronitrile, Triethyoxycaprylsilane, Disodium EDTA, Fragrance, Red Iron Oxide, Yellow Iron Oxide, Black Iron Oxide continued >>

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No