October 21, 2014 | 1594 users online

Top/Base Coats - Revlon - colorstay top coat

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 7/9/2014 11:01:00 PM More reviews by adara260

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Bought this because I heard it was being discontinued and wanted to see what the raves were about. Well after using it I really don't see the hoot is about.

Shine: yes, very nice shine that lasts throughout a week
Dry time: this is not a quick dry at all, can't deal with it
Chips: this did not prevent chipping anymore than not using a top coat
Brush: I liked the brush a lot.

I will use it up probably or give it away most likely.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/6/2014 4:03:00 PM More reviews by Ferrishyn

My new HG top coat. This is seriously one of the BEST top coats around. It can be used with ANY polish ad I have used it with everything and it makes the manicure last for a week or more. It also is very shiny and looks like gel nails.

I have so many compliments with this top coat. The nails feel harder as well. It does take a bit longer than most top coats to dry so I use my Orly Sec 'N Dry on top of it with my HG Orly Flash Dry Drops. It's dry and hard within 5 minutes compared to about 20 without both.

I also LOVE the base coat with this. Just great products all around and well worth the buy.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/2/2014 10:03:00 AM More reviews by HappyHooker

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Huge honking flashing yay for the Colorstay Gel Shine Topcoat. It has made it WORTH IT to take the time to polish your nails again. I used to do a gentle buffing, OPI Chip Skip or wipe with a paper towel and alcohol, Essie base coat (I've also used it with a Sally Hansen base coat and a Seche base coat), 2 coats of polish, Seche Vite top coat. I would get chips after 2-3 days, not worth my time at all. I would only do it for special events. I started out doing the same exact routine replacing my Seche Vite with the Colorstay Gel Shine Topcoat. At first I would get dents and sheet marks BUT the mani would last an entire week so I added Essie's Good to Go Top Coat (I got it free with an Ulta promo) to accelerate the drying process because THIS IS NOT A FAST DRYING TOPCOAT and voila, perfect mani for a week. After an entire week I START to get a little wear but no chipping at the tips. I have to cut my nails after a week anyway because they get too long. THIS IS LIFE CHANGING. I bought extras because they were on steep discount at Walgreens and I'm afraid it will be DC'd. I sincerely may cry if that happens.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/20/2014 9:53:00 PM More reviews by JordanGalore

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Dark, Cool Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Rave review for the Colorstay Gel-Shine top coat. In conjunction with it's base coat, these two are amazing at keeping polish on my fingers for at least a week. My previous top coats (Seche Vite, OPI, Essie etc.) couldn't keep polish on my nails for more than 2 days. Now although this top coat does not dry fast (this is not a claim, which is why I gave it 5 stars), it dries at a medium speed and seals the color(s) beautifully. It doesn't seem to smudge my designs either, which is a plus. The formulation and brush are great and you can't beat the price. These revlon nail products have made their way into my staple nail care routine and I highly recommend them.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/19/2014 1:24:00 AM More reviews by ckb

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

This is my favorite top coat so far that is drugstore priced. It leaves my polish shiny and beautiful. Love it!

rated 3 of 5 on 11/18/2013 8:30:00 PM More reviews by Katyby

I got the gel shine top coat but I don't know if there is a difference. Overall this is a good topcoat. I use my hands a lot as I work in retail so I have a hard time making polish last. However I do have two major complaints.. The first is that it is very slow drying. When I put it on hours later I wake up with sheet marks. I also find it gets dented easily days later. My other complaint is that if your polish isn't completely dry it pulls the color. I tried to seal my tips and it worked but the polish got into the bottle of topcoat and I had let the polish dry for 20 minutes before applying the topcoat. Not the best but not bad for the price.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/7/2013 11:33:00 AM More reviews by kupo_baby

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

This is the top coat that goes with the "gel" base coat.

I haven't used this without the base coat but it's awesome when it's paired together. I can go 5 days without chips or tip wear. Very impressive

rated 5 of 5 on 9/20/2013 11:20:00 AM More reviews by lisaxlove

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

NOT A QUICK DRY TOP COAT!!

I got the Gel Shine top coat to try with the Gel Smooth base coat. This is just as great! I use this and then top with a quick dry top coat. Amazing!! Super shiny! Dry time is slow if you don't have a QDTC to put on top. But it is great otherwise! Love love love!

rated 5 of 5 on 8/30/2013 7:16:00 PM More reviews by merkakis

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Other, Fine Eyes: Blue

This should not be confused with a quick dry top coat. It is not! I use this top coat after I put my last coat of nail polish, but before I put on my quick dry top coat. Doing it this way, seals the polish and prevents shrinkage from the quick dry top coat. In my experience, it significantly prevents chipping. I have noticed that if I don't use this product out of laziness, my mani doesn't last as long, regardless of the base coat or top coat used. The consistency stays smooth and does not thicken with time, the brush is excellent and covers the nail well. Overall, highly recommend this!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 8/19/2013 3:54:00 PM More reviews by XxFreshMintxX

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

This top coat is actually not that bad at all. Itz not fast drying, so it does take a bit longer to dry. But I adore the shine it provides, people thought I had a gel manicure when I used this. It also doesn't chip easily, itz like it puts a shield on your nails. There's no strong scent to it either! However, when it comes to nail art, if you aren't extremely careful with this top coat, your nail art will smudge. Because of that, I only use this top coat on my toes or to clean out my stained nail art brushes (since it not fast drying).