Max Factor Masterpiece Waterproof

3.6

on 7/28/2015 7:08:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

An unexciting but reliable mascara. I come back to it everytime my other purchasing experiments with waterproof mascara have not worked out yet again. This mascara goes on very very natural (almost "too" natural), doesnt dry out in the tube, is definately waterproof (but not heavy-duty!), ok to remove, normal drugstore price. Has a dark-brown colour option which most competitors don't have. No substantial lengthening or thickening action on my lashes, sadly. Maybe i can give it a little more oomph by using it with another brush. The brush and consistency of Masterpiece Waterproof does seem very similar to Lash Blast - i have yet to try their waterproof version - which would be much cheaper.

on 5/7/2015 7:09:00 AM

I usually know straight away if a mascara is going to hold the curl, as I have long and thick but poker straight eyelashes, and I need to curl them before hand.

I am very happy with this! Right after curling I applied it while looking down as it is stated in the Max Factor tutorials and voila! Lashes are covered uniformly from root to tip while preserving the curl! The brush is rubber or silicon, so it means it does not come out supercharged and wet like bristle brushes, which I loathe.

I dont even care about the fact that the tube is normal size but it contains half the product -4.5 ml- as standard mascaras which come with about 9ml. So technically this product is twice as price as your run of the mill drugstore mascara but if it works it doesnt matter! Still cheaper than Dior which did sweet eff all for me.

on 3/21/2015 11:24:00 AM

I started using this mascara this week and I am in LOVE. It's exactly what I want in a mascara. I have longish, but super straight, light eyelashes that don't hold a curl unless I use a WP mascara. Max Factor Masterpiece holds the curl beautifully, doesn't smudge or clump. My lashes look long, black and shiny. It's natural looking without being too natural--there's still a 'wow' factor. Love, love, love. Couldn't recommend enough if you have lashes similar to mine.

on 1/5/2015 1:02:00 AM

Bought this mascara because it was 50% off in Priceline. Been looking for a replacement for my Maybelline Pulse Perfection waterproof mascara (can't get it in AU now), which I really like because it gets all my lashes, makes them look longer and thicker but doesn't make a lot of mess while doing it.

The Max Factor Masterpiece waterproof seems to do the same thing for me. I like it (it can be a little messier to apply - hence my handy cottonwool buds for clean up!), it doesn't seem to flake during the day or smudge, seems to dry quite quickly and defines my lashes to really open up my eyes. I'm going to buy some replacements for future use but I'll wait for another sale before I do that (it's not expensive - approx AUD$23 - but I like a bargain). I use a Shu eyelash curler before applying mascara to my upper lashes. I don't apply mascara to my lower lashes, as they're pretty much non-existent.

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

This has been my holy grail mascara ever since 2008. However, the past year or so I've been wondering whether they reformulated it in some way or another. My last three Masterpiece mascara's have not been giving me the same length as before, made my lashes feel harder than they used too with this mascara on and the formula even irritated my eyes sometimes. Overall, it's also more difficult to remove. I've never had these problems before. So yeah, I suspect they changed something in this mascara somewhere in 2012.

Before 2012 this mascara was giving me actual length. Some of my lashes would even be about 40% longer than without mascara! It would also get to the tiny little lashes in between, which overall made it look like I had a lot of lashes. Very sultry. The curl would stick around all day (I do always use an eyelash curler before applying any type of mascara though). My lashes felt very soft, I could pet them all day. I had practically no smudging and this stuff really is waterproof! Nothing to dislike.

I'm now considering giving other mascara's a try, because it doesn't seem to work for me any more. When I was getting great results with it I would happily pay the high price tag for it. But lately this mascara has been disappointing me and I feel like it's too expensive to buy because I'm not getting the results I'm used to.

Honestly, this mascara was probably the worst mascara I ever tried.

Iīm normally a huge fan of the Max Factor mascaras as they give you good value for money and perform better than the pricier high end mascaras.

The normal, not waterproof version of the Masterpiece mascara is one of my favourite mascaras and I used it exclusively for a long time. However, my eyes often teared and this always made my mascara smudge, so I decided to go for the waterproof version.

A little background on my lashes: Straight, short and pretty average in general.

As I tried it the first time, I was confused. The mascara didnīt seem to do anything, exept making my lashes hard and clumpy. I couldnīt build the mascara and no matter how many layers I put on, there was no result. My colleagues at work thought, I had no mascara on.

And Iīm wearing a quite "natural" mascara look, not trying to make my lashes look like fake lashes or overly voluminous and long. If Iīm not satisfied with the volume, lenght and performance of a mascara, this might be a red flag for the mascara lovers and experts out there.

The real disaster were my attempts to get this mascara off. I thought, Iīd manage to get it off with my Bioderma micellar water. Nope. I tried baby oil and some of the mascara still wouldnīt budge. In the process, I ripped some lashes out. I gave up and followed my usual cleansing routine. When I woke up the next morning, I had some mascara smudges under my eyes. What a nightmare.

Not only did this mascara look like I wasnīt wearing mascara at all, it also was so hard to remove, that I feared for my lashes and the delicate skin under my eyes.

This mascara was a huge failure for me and I wouldnīt recommend it at all.

on 1/12/2014 3:45:00 PM

I have used this product for years, great lash lengthener, not clumpy and very waterproof! My favourite waterproof!

on 11/12/2013 2:32:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

Lovely mascara by Max Factor. Holds up my curl (Asian lashes = straight) after curling it first. Waterproof for sure (cried and swam with it). Does not really smudge (every mascara does that a little bit on my face). I have been using this mascara for a couple of years now, so I really do recommend it to anyone with the same skin-type and/or with Asian lashes like me. And ooh, the brush; I love this type of brush - 'plasticky'; it works better for my lashes. The only slight downside of this mascara is the price. You pay quite a lot if you look at the amount you get. It cost me 17 euros for 4.5ml which is even more expensive per ml as a Dior or Chanel mascara (they are about 33 euros for 10ml).
Note: the review from Nien2910 is from my old account.

on 10/21/2013 10:47:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

Lovely mascara by Max Factor. Holds up my (Asian lashes = straight) curl after curling it first. Waterproof for sure (cried and swam with it). Does not really smudge (every mascara does that a little bit on my face). I have been using this mascara for a couple of years now, so I really do recommend it to anyone with the same skin-type and/or with Asian lashes like me. And ooh, the brush; I love this type of brush - 'plasticky'; it works better for my lashes. The only slight downside of this mascara is the price. You pay quite a lot if you look at the amount you get. It cost me 17 euros for 4.5ml which is even more expensive per ml as a Dior or Chanel mascara (they are about 33 euros for 10ml).

I bought this mascara on my ever long quest to find a great mascara, I read loads of positive reviews about this mascara so was really excited to pick it up on a 3 for 2 offer in my local Boots. I don't know if I'm missing something but it does nothing for my lashes, nothing very outstanding anyway. I can barely even see anything after 3+ coats, I don't want spidery or clumpy lashes but I like to see some difference, they look the same as before application.

Like I say, maybe I'm missing something or maybe it's just not right for my lashes but I won't be re-buying this mascara....my quest continues!

Top Rated Max Factor Products