October 30, 2014 | 1633 users online

Mascara - Max Factor - Masterpiece Waterproof

rated 4 of 5 on 5/27/2014 10:33:00 AM More reviews by WorthlessWonder

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Green

This has been my holy grail mascara ever since 2008. However, the past year or so I've been wondering whether they reformulated it in some way or another. My last three Masterpiece mascara's have not been giving me the same length as before, made my lashes feel harder than they used too with this mascara on and the formula even irritated my eyes sometimes. Overall, it's also more difficult to remove. I've never had these problems before. So yeah, I suspect they changed something in this mascara somewhere in 2012.

Before 2012 this mascara was giving me actual length. Some of my lashes would even be about 40% longer than without mascara! It would also get to the tiny little lashes in between, which overall made it look like I had a lot of lashes. Very sultry. The curl would stick around all day (I do always use an eyelash curler before applying any type of mascara though). My lashes felt very soft, I could pet them all day. I had practically no smudging and this stuff really is waterproof! Nothing to dislike.

I'm now considering giving other mascara's a try, because it doesn't seem to work for me any more. When I was getting great results with it I would happily pay the high price tag for it. But lately this mascara has been disappointing me and I feel like it's too expensive to buy because I'm not getting the results I'm used to.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 5/23/2014 2:08:00 PM More reviews by franzvonstuck

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Honestly, this mascara was probably the worst mascara I ever tried.

I´m normally a huge fan of the Max Factor mascaras as they give you good value for money and perform better than the pricier high end mascaras.

The normal, not waterproof version of the Masterpiece mascara is one of my favourite mascaras and I used it exclusively for a long time. However, my eyes often teared and this always made my mascara smudge, so I decided to go for the waterproof version.

A little background on my lashes: Straight, short and pretty average in general.

As I tried it the first time, I was confused. The mascara didn´t seem to do anything, exept making my lashes hard and clumpy. I couldn´t build the mascara and no matter how many layers I put on, there was no result. My colleagues at work thought, I had no mascara on.

And I´m wearing a quite "natural" mascara look, not trying to make my lashes look like fake lashes or overly voluminous and long. If I´m not satisfied with the volume, lenght and performance of a mascara, this might be a red flag for the mascara lovers and experts out there.

The real disaster were my attempts to get this mascara off. I thought, I´d manage to get it off with my Bioderma micellar water. Nope. I tried baby oil and some of the mascara still wouldn´t budge. In the process, I ripped some lashes out. I gave up and followed my usual cleansing routine. When I woke up the next morning, I had some mascara smudges under my eyes. What a nightmare.

Not only did this mascara look like I wasn´t wearing mascara at all, it also was so hard to remove, that I feared for my lashes and the delicate skin under my eyes.

This mascara was a huge failure for me and I wouldn´t recommend it at all.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/12/2014 3:45:00 PM More reviews by Wattsherface

I have used this product for years, great lash lengthener, not clumpy and very waterproof! My favourite waterproof!

rated 4 of 5 on 11/12/2013 2:32:00 PM More reviews by NingOnline

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Lovely mascara by Max Factor. Holds up my curl (Asian lashes = straight) after curling it first. Waterproof for sure (cried and swam with it). Does not really smudge (every mascara does that a little bit on my face). I have been using this mascara for a couple of years now, so I really do recommend it to anyone with the same skin-type and/or with Asian lashes like me. And ooh, the brush; I love this type of brush - 'plasticky'; it works better for my lashes. The only slight downside of this mascara is the price. You pay quite a lot if you look at the amount you get. It cost me 17 euros for 4.5ml which is even more expensive per ml as a Dior or Chanel mascara (they are about 33 euros for 10ml).
Note: the review from Nien2910 is mine also but it was an old profile which MakeUpAlley would remove.. Which obviously isn't removed yet.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/21/2013 10:47:00 AM More reviews by Nien2910

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Lovely mascara by Max Factor. Holds up my (Asian lashes = straight) curl after curling it first. Waterproof for sure (cried and swam with it). Does not really smudge (every mascara does that a little bit on my face). I have been using this mascara for a couple of years now, so I really do recommend it to anyone with the same skin-type and/or with Asian lashes like me. And ooh, the brush; I love this type of brush - 'plasticky'; it works better for my lashes. The only slight downside of this mascara is the price. You pay quite a lot if you look at the amount you get. It cost me 17 euros for 4.5ml which is even more expensive per ml as a Dior or Chanel mascara (they are about 33 euros for 10ml).

rated 3 of 5 on 9/5/2013 7:40:00 AM More reviews by missbioniclegs

I bought this mascara on my ever long quest to find a great mascara, I read loads of positive reviews about this mascara so was really excited to pick it up on a 3 for 2 offer in my local Boots. I don't know if I'm missing something but it does nothing for my lashes, nothing very outstanding anyway. I can barely even see anything after 3+ coats, I don't want spidery or clumpy lashes but I like to see some difference, they look the same as before application.

Like I say, maybe I'm missing something or maybe it's just not right for my lashes but I won't be re-buying this mascara....my quest continues!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/2/2013 1:58:00 PM More reviews by Julip9

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I have used this mascara for years, and it has never disappointed, you can move your lashes to where you want them to be ie fan them out, it holds the curl all day, and as long as you are using an oil based cleanser, Bobbi brown, Mac or Clinique , even L'Oreal, it comes off easily .. Terrific product

rated 5 of 5 on 7/27/2012 5:50:00 PM More reviews by misstye

This is my go to mascara, i'm surprised it didn't get better ratings!! I generally like waterproof mascaras but a lot of others i've bought seem to weigh down my lashes(even non-waterproof mascaras). I curl my lashes before applying mascara and when I apply mascara i want them to stay curled. It's got the best staying power too, i've been on nights out and woken up and my lashes look just as good as the day before! I haven't tired many other Max factor mascaras, but it seems they got the formula right for this one. I might try some more maxfactor mascaras now but i think it will be hard to beat this one :)

rated 2 of 5 on 2/10/2012 9:39:00 AM More reviews by missdenise

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I used this mascara a long time ago, and it's not the worst mascara but it not great. It doesn't give that much volume to the lashes, and I had to apply it at least about 5 times to have my satisfy result.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/30/2012 11:17:00 AM More reviews by LetMeGossip

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I think this is a okay mascara.
It separate your lashes great and give it a niche lenght.
I doesn't give that much volume so i guess is better for people who wants long and separate lashes.
It doesn't run when your in the rain and it's easy to remove with waterproof eyemakeup remover.
I have it in Black/Brown and it's great for at natural look.
I think i only would use this in the summertime, while i'm on the beach or something.